Diamond Billiards / Dallas

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
frmn said:
looks like the lizard 11-7 10-7.

Looked like the lizard was gettin it whenever I checked in. I know Cliff is a great player but IMO that is really trying to outrun it. The feed is kind of hard to watch but you can see what is going on. Should be great when they get the problems fixed.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Last I heard, there was a 200 user limit from the service provider.

6 Cameras and if you are lucky enough to catch the action, you can view all 6 at the same time or just one in particular.

Good site.. I check it at nite most every day.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Sat. night

Sat. night

Last night (Sat. 9/29)Billy I. was matched up one-hole with a player I didn't recognize. It looked like Billy was getting the best of it, but I soon bailed-- tiring of the stop-action streaming. It's like watching sequential diagrams. Still, it's a great free service. It'll be wonderful if they invest in better feed!

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
Last night (Sat. 9/29)Billy I. was matched up one-hole with a player I didn't recognize. It looked like Billy was getting the best of it, but I soon bailed-- tiring of the stop-action streaming. It's like watching sequential diagrams. Still, it's a great free service. It'll be wonderful if they invest in better feed!

Doc

I can't watch it too long myself. The night before Cliff was playing Lizard & giving up weight & it looked like he was losing to me. You can barely see what is going on. I think they are working to improve the video. Great idea that needs some work.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Lizard?

Lizard?

jrhendy said:
I can't watch it too long myself. The night before Cliff was playing Lizard & giving up weight & it looked like he was losing to me. You can barely see what is going on. I think they are working to improve the video. Great idea that needs some work.
Who is the Lizard? Is he a local Dallas player, or from elsewhere in the Lone Star State?

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
Who is the Lizard? Is he a local Dallas player, or from elsewhere in the Lone Star State?

Doc

Hi Doc, I'm assuming they're talking about Steve 'the Lizard' Smith, a good shortstop that's been around the pool world for a long time - like since the 60's or 70's.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The "Liz" aint no shortstop

The "Liz" aint no shortstop

One Pocket Ghost said:
Hi Doc, I'm assuming they're talking about Steve 'the Lizard' Smith, a good shortstop that's been around the pool world for a long time - like since the 60's or 70's.

The Lizard plays a lot better than shortstop speed. I have played him many times. He now plays all games very good. He likes to stay a little undercover is all.

the Beard

Ck out my web or blog to pre order my upcoming DVD's, Banks That Dont Go, but do.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
fred bentivegna said:
The Lizard plays a lot better than shortstop speed. I have played him many times. He now plays all games very good. He likes to stay a little undercover is all.

the Beard

QUOTE]

Hey Freddy, I know different people define the exact definition of low, medium and top shortstops differently, and actually I've wondered what the cross-country consensus opinion on this would be, from knowledgeable pool room guys.....That said, I called him a good shortstop, meaning like a top shortstop....Now to me, I think of a TOP shortstop to play around the speed of guys like Richie Richeson, Ike, Jamie Farrel or Leil Gay......So are you saying that the 'Lizard' plays better than these guys (personally I don't think so), or do I have the bar raised too high on the speed that a top shortstop plays ?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Your shortstops belong in the World Series

Your shortstops belong in the World Series

One Pocket Ghost said:
fred bentivegna said:

the Beard

QUOTE]

Hey Freddy, I know different people define the exact definition of low, medium and top shortstops differently, and actually I've wondered what the cross-country consensus opinion on this would be, from knowledgeable pool room guys.....That said, I called him a good shortstop, meaning like a top shortstop....Now to me, I think of a TOP shortstop to play around the speed of guys like Richie Richeson, Ike, Jamie Farrel or Leil Gay......So are you saying that the 'Lizard' plays better than these guys (personally I don't think so), or do I have the bar raised too high on the speed that a top shortstop plays ?

Ike certainly aint no shortstop no mo'. That's the only guy who I think can beat Lizard playing One pkt in this field. Jamie can beat him playing bank and thats about all. Leil Gay is (or was) a hundred ball runner but weak at 1pkt. Richie and Liz might be close at 1pkt. You're calling guys shortstops that are capable of winning tournaments. To me, a shortstop is a guy that is a decent defender of homecourt only, and to a player coming through town he is but a "short-stop."

the Beard
I've got 2 new trick banks up on my blog, www.bankingwiththebeard.blogspot.com/ Do you think you can make 'em? I don't think so.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
fred bentivegna said:
One Pocket Ghost said:
Ike certainly aint no shortstop no mo'. That's the only guy who I think can beat Lizard playing One pkt in this field. Jamie can beat him playing bank and thats about all. Leil Gay is (or was) a hundred ball runner but weak at 1pkt. Richie and Liz might be close at 1pkt. You're calling guys shortstops that are capable of winning tournaments. To me, a shortstop is a guy that is a decent defender of homecourt only, and to a player coming through town he is but a "short-stop."

the Beard

Ok, but like I said, I differentiate within the short-stop level (top short-stop, average short-stop, etc.) - for average short-stop speed, then I think of guys like Paul Navarette and Gil.....but in my previous post, I named guys that I think of as TOP short-stop speed - which, rightly or wrongly, I think of as the level below pro player level.....maybe I name them/think of them as top level short-stops because there's no other name to use for that speed, and it's too clumsy to say "he plays halfway between short-stop and pro level".

And I gotta disagree with you on Leil - I've played him a few times, and I wouldn't say Leil Gay plays great one pocket, but he is not, as you said, "a weak one pocket player" - after all he won one of the U.S. Open One Pocket tournaments in Kalamazoo, against a real strong field - a weak player can't do that.

- Ghost

Last edited:

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Who is the Lizard

Who is the Lizard

Doc, Lizards real name is Steve Smith. Real Good Player from Tx. He maybe from around the Dallas area, not sure.---Smitty

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Events bear me out

Events bear me out

One Pocket Ghost said:
fred bentivegna said:
One Pocket Ghost said:

the Beard

Ok, but like I said, I differentiate within the short-stop level (top short-stop, average short-stop, etc.) - for average short-stop speed, then I think of guys like Paul Navarette and Gil.....but in my previous post, I named guys that I think of as TOP short-stop speed - which, rightly or wrongly, I think of as the level below pro player level.....maybe I name them/think of them as top level short-stops because there's no other name to use for that speed, and it's too clumsy to say "he plays halfway between short-stop and pro level".

And I gotta disagree with you on Leil - I've played him a few times, and I wouldn't say Leil Gay plays great one pocket, but he is not, as you said, "a weak one pocket player" - after all he won one of the U.S. Open One Pocket tournaments in Kalamazoo, against a real strong field - a weak player can't do that.

- Ghost

I just got off the phone with Billy Incardona. He gave me an action update. The Lizard just got done fixing Ike's wagon in Dallas playing 1Pkt. That even surprised me a little. Then Billy and I talked about it, and both realized that Ike doesnt carry that monster speed too far out of Chicago. He likes home cooking. That would explain why he would never come to the Billiard Cafe to play me for so many years. Now that I am one cough away from a gurney, he will give me action. When Leil won in Kalamazoo he was dead in the midst of a "pool rush," at the absolute top of his pool game. He was a 100+ runner in straight pool, and those guys are always dangerous, especially on those easy Gold Crowns that were at Kalamzoo. Didn't Jamie Whathisname beat Parica for the 1pkt crown there one year? After that tourney, Cardone and I went to Jamie's home pool room, and Cardone gave him 10 to 8 and beat him out of 4k on Jamie's very tough table. By the way, I heard that when you match up now you carry a portable gurney in your trunk as special consideration for your victims.

the Beard

I've got 2 new trick banks up on my blog, www.bankingwiththebeard.blogspot.com/ Do you think you can make 'em? I don't think so.

Last edited: