1950's Pool Hall Shirts

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Most of you guys don't know, but I'm a big collector of all kinds of old/vintage/antique stuff...that said, one of the things that I've collected for years is nice old 1950's Gabardine team bowling shirts - you know the kind that have fancy embroidered backs with the sponsors name and designs, like: Al's Sinclair Station, or Sal's Barber Shop, etc. etc....

Well over the course of 30-plus years of searching out those bowling shirts, on three occasions I happened upon a 1950's pool/poolhall team, bowling-style shirt - only ever found three of these in that many years, so they're not very common...these are very cool shirts, and I thought you guys would enjoy seeing them, so I took some pics of them....two appear to be from northern Calif. pool hall 3cushion teams, and the other one is from a pool hall with no location given…

Any of you northern Calif. older guys - Papie, John, SactownTom, suki, levartze, or anybody else, know of these pool halls by any chance? - and can give us some info?

Here ya go, enjoy the pics >>>

- Ghost

PS, Hey Larry - one of these shirts has your name on it...:)

Attachments

• 3-C%20SHIRT%202.jpg
    3-C%20SHIRT%202.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010525.JPG
    P1010525.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010442.JPG
    P1010442.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010441.JPG
    P1010441.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

thebaby

Verified Member
I know that one

I know that one

say ghost that brown shirt in the middle i beleive belong to a team out of executive billiards in redwood city.the owner name was dee holtze,not sure how to spell his last name.he was a good player probably in the sixty's along with sax d. .I ws pretty young back then,but i remember watching nick varner giving tony bolds 9 to seven on the tightest table in california.they would probably play every six months.tony annagoni here in california would probably be able to help you out with the info your looking for.hope this helps you put a little bit of closure to this subject. the baby

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
thebaby said:
say ghost that brown shirt in the middle i beleive belong to a team out of executive billiards in redwood city.the owner name was dee holtze,not sure how to spell his last name.he was a good player probably in the sixty's along with sax d. .I ws pretty young back then,but i remember watching nick varner giving tony bolds 9 to seven on the tightest table in california.they would probably play every six months.tony annagoni here in california would probably be able to help you out with the info your looking for.hope this helps you put a little bit of closure to this subject. the baby

You are pretty close Frank. Dee Hulse lived above his pool room and was good friends with Nick Varner and Al "The Plumber" Winchenbaugh. Poker Paul and I spent quite a bit of time there in the early 80's. Sax Del Porto was around quite a bit also. The original California Billiards in San Jose was about 45 minutes away and we traveled back and forth between the two.

They had a big guy in there named Sonny who was quite a character and would go off when he had $$. Dee had just gone through a divorce with a lady who turned out to be a drunk and the divorce cost him a bundle. He was trying to match up with Sonny and asked him "What do I have to do to get you down?". Sonny said " Get me drunk, Marry me and give me a couple hundred k of jewelry". Sonny got barred for that one.

Great pool room and lots of memories playing Tony Boles and drinking all day with Dee.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Ghost, I'm sure you've thought about seeking out pricing of those old style shirts for modern manufacture. Would anyone make that type of shirt today? I especially like the look of the "Ivory Tower" shirt. Perhaps they could be offered as an executive line, or something, with a guy's name embroidered on the pocket-- like the "Larry" example.

BTW, John and Frank seem to be the central Calif. historians here (John had the very fine Cue Sports Journal years back). I'll also alert Gene Miller of S.F. to see if this post jogs any memories. Maybe someone else has Annigoni's contact info.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
nice pics ghost . i hope that "other" larry was a good player. to keep the name in good standing:)

thebaby

Verified Member
history in no .california

history in no .california

Doc, i don't think gene miller would have much info about that time ,he was more in the bar scene back then i beleive.they had a good bar league in san francisco back then.phillipino gene,nine ball paul (paul silvers)use to run the palace they and many other good bar players were around san francisco during that time.dee used to work at town and country billiards befor he bought the room in redwood city.anyway i think tony annagoni would have alot more insight of this time.John knows how to get a hold of tony,he has a room in fairfield ,ca now just open up within the last year.

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Hey Doc...those remind me of when I was a kid and my neighbors ran a bowling alley/pool room..I was probably7-8 yrs old..they had all of the garb..takes me down a fond memory lane that I hadn't thought of in years.Thanks

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
MARK..HOU TX said:
Sorry I meant to say Ghost..MY BAD
mark you know you can edit your post by clicking the edit button make the changes and click save
i do it all the time:eek:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
thebaby said:
Doc, i don't think gene miller would have much info about that time ,he was more in the bar scene back then i beleive.they had a good bar league in san francisco back then.phillipino gene,nine ball paul (paul silvers)use to run the palace they and many other good bar players were around san francisco during that time.dee used to work at town and country billiards befor he bought the room in redwood city.anyway i think tony annagoni would have alot more insight of this time.John knows how to get a hold of tony,he has a room in fairfield ,ca now just open up within the last year.
You might be right about that, bro. We'll see if Gene responds; and also if Tony can enlighten us via Hendy.

Where was Town and Country located?

Doc

thebaby

Verified Member
back in the day

back in the day

Doc,town & country was located in daly city ,there was also a room at the top oh hill on daly city ,i beleive it was called the red carpet,anyway dee used to run town & country.dee used to have a good friend there his name was hal something.this guy was the biggest man I ever seen,but with the kindest heart i've ever seen.I guess what i mean his personallity didn't match his presence.over seven ft. I remember him trying to teach me the light system,where you would aim by hitting one of the light reflections on the object ball,i never did catch on to that..:confused:

Deeman

Verified Member
Baby,

I had forgotten the "light system". I had a few guys explain it to me and I. like you, never could make it work consistently for me.

Anyone out there an expert on the system? Is it a legit way to sight your shots? I am too old and set in my ways to change how I miss shots but it would be interesting. By the way, as well, I was never able to make the infamous 1/2 ball type aiming system that caused so much bickering on the chat boeard a couple of years ago so I just may be my ability to use "systems". I could always make 3 cushion aiming methods work but, in the end, found my feel beeter than the systems, for me anyway.

Any long term "shooters of the lights" out there?

DeeMan

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Deeman said:
Baby,

I had forgotten the "light system". I had a few guys explain it to me and I. like you, never could make it work consistently for me.

Anyone out there an expert on the system? Is it a legit way to sight your shots? I am too old and set in my ways to change how I miss shots but it would be interesting. By the way, as well, I was never able to make the infamous 1/2 ball type aiming system that caused so much bickering on the chat boeard a couple of years ago so I just may be my ability to use "systems". I could always make 3 cushion aiming methods work but, in the end, found my feel beeter than the systems, for me anyway.

Any long term "shooters of the lights" out there?

DeeMan

Yes, I aim my banks by the lights. I also look at other systems, diamonds, extended targets and so on, but they all pretty much line up the same. ;) Since my feel is always incorrect I need a target to shot at.
Rod.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Obviously, the last couple of posters have read this book...:) >>>

- Ghost

Attachments

• dummies-thread-hijacking.png
    dummies-thread-hijacking.png
    30 KB · Views: 0

One Pocket Ghost said:
Most of you guys don't know, but I'm a big collector of all kinds of old/vintage/antique stuff...that said, one of the things that I've collected for years is nice old 1950's Gabardine team bowling shirts - you know the kind that have fancy embroidered backs with the sponsors name and designs, like: Al's Sinclair Station, or Sal's Barber Shop, etc. etc....

Well over the course of 30-plus years of searching out those bowling shirts, on three occasions I happened upon a 1950's pool/poolhall team, bowling-style shirt - only ever found three of these in that many years, so they're not very common...these are very cool shirts, and I thought you guys would enjoy seeing them, so I took some pics of them....two appear to be from northern Calif. pool hall 3cushion teams, and the other one is from a pool hall with no location given…

Any of you northern Calif. older guys - Papie, John, SactownTom, suki, levartze, or anybody else, know of these pool halls by any chance? - and can give us some info?

Here ya go, enjoy the pics >>>

- Ghost

PS, Hey Larry - one of these shirts has your name on it...:)

Ghosty, I love these shirts. Personally, I like the top one (the one with Flamingo Billiards on it). Wouldn't it be cool to come out with a line of "faux vintage" shirts? Larry's shirt is dashing, too. :) I like the details: the piping and the way the insert on the flap and the collar look like suede or velvet. I'm sure, though, that it's the same fabric as the shirt, just a different color.