Who should OnePocket.org sponsor in to the US Open One Pocket?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SactownTom said:
So,is it settled... John gets the 'Deeman' entry?

Oh wait... is it Henderson or Brumback?

I like both..
henderson already is in
looks like brumback is a front runner:)

john henderson you posted as i posted
tom see 2 posts above

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
First of all I want to thank Freddy, Lou, Greg, Larry, Doc, Tim, and Carey for recommending me - trust me, it did not go unnoticed, and I appreciate it...

Next of all I have to say, that unfortunately, the possible voted/awarded One Pocket tournament entry going to me, wouldn't work out for me due in part, to the timing of it...here's what I mean by the timing...

I've still been mad/disappointed about getting sick and missing out on the last half of my DCC trip...so to make up for it to myself, I decided I would go either to the California Billiard Club tournament in California, or the One Pocket Open in Las Vegas - no way I could afford the $$$ to go to both....well, I would totally enjoy going to either one...but Riva is going with me, and since she prefers California and the ocean coast over Las Vegas, and also since she has a best friend that she would really enjoy visiting in San Francisco while we're there, I picked the California Billiard Club tournament to go to - and I already have the plane and hotel reservations...

And as for the possibility of being voted in to receive the entry, and then having $$$ contributed to me so that I could afford to go....I think that is extremely nice and generous by any and all who would do that, for me, or anyone else, but I personally could/would not be comfortable accepting that $$$ - so for me that option is out...

So all of that said, I have to reluctantly take my name down from the voting.

Now, I think I gotta speak my mind here...like Dennis, Lou, Freddy... and sometimes I myself, do...and share my thoughts...

First of all, I agree with Lou's criteria (no surprise to me re. Lou - because imo, he most always makes tough, but fair and very cogent assessments of situations) for a member to be awarded the tournament entry...

And also in accordance with Lou's criteria, I strongly disagree with this part of Steve Booth's post #1 >>>
onepocket said:
Even though I would like the player that represents us to be a member here, I am certainly open to any new players signing up so that they would be eligible (Efren? Scott? Cliff?).
Huh? - let somebody join up tomorrow who has never contributed to this site, and let him win the award/entry just because he's a 'pool champ-celebrity' - man, is that wrong...

And lastly, (and as I said, I have definitely taken myself off the list) wow, I didn't realize it, but I guess I must not have the proper criteria, or I must be a terrible person or something (maybe cuz I argue with 'Gentleman John Henderson', lol - although we're buddies now, having talked on the phone with John twice in the last week :)) - since several people on here didn't even have me in their top three choices as a worthy candidate to represent onepocket.org, even after many worthy candidates couldn't accept a nomination because they were already signed up, and were off the list......so then, hmm, let's see - does the Ghost have any valid/appropriate criteria?..:confused:...

I've been a member of onepocket.org since the beginning - even discussing the creation of the site with Steve Booth before he created it...then contributed almost 3,000 posts/threads in the past 7 years...

I've lived, breathed, played, gambled, taught, and praised only One Pocket, no other pool games, for the last 35 years...

I play the game at a respectable level...

And I played in 6 of 7 of the previous U.S. Open One Pocket tournaments - finishing high in two of them.

I think that's pretty good criteria...:rolleyes:...

Last of all, as for my choices (dis-allowing all of the members who are no longer available to be considered, because they're already signed up, or wouldn't go)...

I vote strongly, as many others do, for Steve Booth - and I think we should force him to accept - I'm serious about that ...

Failing that, because imo, the choice should be a long-time member/contributor/One Pocket player, I would recommend Freddy or Gulfport Doc.

- Ghroast

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One Pocket Ghost said:
First of all I want to thank Freddy, Lou, Greg, Larry, Doc, Tim, and Carey for recommending me - trust me, it did not go unnoticed, and I appreciate it...

Next of all I have to say, that unfortunately, the possible voted/awarded One Pocket tournament entry going to me, wouldn't work out for me due in part, to the timing of it...here's what I mean by the timing...

I've still been mad/disappointed about getting sick and missing out on the last half of my DCC trip...so to make up for it to myself, I decided I would go either to the California Billiard Club tournament in California, or the One Pocket Open in Las Vegas - no way I could afford the $$$ to go to both....well, I would totally enjoy going to either one...but Riva is going with me, and since she prefers California and the ocean coast over Las Vegas, and also since she has a best friend that she would really enjoy visiting in San Francisco while we're there, I picked the California Billiard Club tournament to go to - and I already have the plane and hotel reservations...

And as for the possibility of being voted in to receive the entry, and then having $$$ contributed to me so that I could afford to go....I think that is extremely nice and generous by any and all who would do that, for me, or anyone else, but I personally could/would not be comfortable accepting that $$$ - so for me that option is out...

So all of that said, as I previously stated, I have to reluctantly take my name down from the voting.

Now, I think I gotta speak my mind here...like Dennis, Lou, Freddy... and sometimes I myself, do...and share my thoughts...

First of all, I agree with Lou's criteria (no surprise to me re. Lou - because imo, he most always makes tough, but fair and very cogent assessments of situations) for a member to be awarded the tournament entry...

And also in accordance with Lou's criteria, I strongly disagree with this part of Steve Booth's post #1 >>> Huh? - let somebody join up tomorrow who has never contributed to this site, and let him win the award/entry just because he's a 'pool champ-celebrity' - man, is that wrong...

And lastly, (and as I said, I have definitely taken myself off the list) wow, I didn't realize it, but I guess I must be a terrible person or something (maybe cuz I argue with 'Gentleman John Henderson', lol - although we're buddies now, having talked on the phone with John twice in the last week :)) - since several people on here didn't even have me in their top three choices as a worthy candidate to represent onepocket.org, even after many worthy candidates couldn't accept a nomination because they were already signed up, and were off the list......so then, hmm, let's see - does the Ghost's have any valid/appropriate criteria?.

I've been a member of onepocket.org since the beginning - even discussing the creation of the site with Steve Booth before he created it...then contributed almost 3,000 posts/threads in the past 7 years...

I've lived, breathed, played, gambled, taught, and praised only One Pocket, no other pool games, for the last 35 years...

And I played in 6 of 7 of the previous U.S. Open One Pocket tournaments - finishing high in two of them.

Last of all, as for my choices (dis-allowing all of the members who are no longer available to be considered, because they're already signed up, or wouldn't go)...

I vote strongly, as many others do, for Steve Booth - and I think we should force him to accept - I'm serious about that ...

Failing that, because imo, the choice should be a long-time member/contributor/One Pocket player, I would recommend Freddy or Gulfport Doc.

- Ghroast
ghost
i am swayed by your post
i must admit john B is an attractive candidate who i would whole heartedly endorse
a long time member like DeeMan donated the spot back to us
we should reward the person not for how well they might finish but to realize a dream of being there competeting
thats why i kept mentioning you and steve and freddy
freddy im not sure wants to show his speed:D (undercover) thats why i havent mentioned him although he knows im on his side:)

and doc im not sure wants to go :confused:
but from a lets give back to those that gave i think freddy doc and dennis are in that category

i must also also ad as a newbee to the site bill stroud has contributed alot and might also be considered

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost said:

So all of that said, as I previously stated, I have to reluctantly take my name down from the voting.

And also in accordance with Lou's criteria, I strongly disagree with this part of Steve Booth's post #1 >>> Huh? - let somebody join up tomorrow who has never contributed to this site, and let him win the award/entry just because he's a 'pool champ-celebrity' - man, is that wrong...

And lastly, (and as I said, I have definitely taken myself off the list) wow, I didn't realize it, but I guess I must be a terrible person or something (maybe cuz I argue with 'Gentleman John Henderson', lol - although we're buddies now, having talked on the phone with John twice in the last week :)) - since several people on here didn't even have me in their top three choices as a worthy candidate to represent onepocket.org, even after many worthy candidates couldn't accept a nomination because they were already signed up, and were off the list......so then, hmm, let's see - does the Ghost's have any valid/appropriate criteria?..:confused:...

- Ghroast

Ghosty, due to time-restraints, I have not been on the forum nor have I responded to posts as I would normally like, but I want to say that I am completely with you on everything you have said. And I mean everything.
You would be an excellent selection. I like your choice of Freddy, but I don't believe that Freddy has any intentions of going to this event. Love John H,too, but he's already in. I think Steve B.is a fine selection, and YES to Doc. Doc is a serious one pocket player, and a well-respected member of this forum.
Thanks for voicing your honest opinions, and again, I am in total agreement. If you were interesting in this event, you would have my support. I also support Doc.
Just as an aside, I, personally, would llike this to go to someone who might not be able to go otherwise. But that's not the only criteria. Love of the game, ability, heart and desire are all factors.

Clare

P.S. Thanks, Deeman.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
but from a lets give back to those that gave i think freddy doc and dennis are in that category
Larry,

Please please please don't mention my name in the company of more deserving players on this site. I wouldn't play in a tournament if it was across the street from my house. I've got zero use for them.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry,

Please please please don't mention my name in the company of more deserving players on this site. I wouldn't play in a tournament if it was across the street from my house. I've got zero use for them.

Dennis

Dennis, I know that you do not do tournaments, this is why I did not mention you. Otherwise, you would be one of my top selections.

Clare

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
New picks...

New picks...

Doc and Steve. Honorary pick, Col Bille, but I know he would never go if it would keep Doc or Steve from going. I agree with the Ghost. Old timers and long time contributors should have precedence.

Beard

Forget me completely.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
Artie, all Deeman wanted to do (Deeman is the guy that won the entry) is to give his entry away to someone from here, that they could go and represent the onepocket.org website in a positive way.

He also thought it important to give it to someone that actually posts on our site, someone who contributes to the site.

It was just a nice gesture to put one of our very own posters into the tourney.

We're trying to find someone who posts here, or who is involved in this site, someone who isn't already on the invite list, someone who can actually go, someone who wants to go, ..... those type of things.

At the Derby this year, John Brumback beat Jose Parica in a hill hill match. John is not a onepocket monster, he will readily tell you that. But John could beat anyone in a tournament.

If a person wanted to send a player that is a high caliber player, a champion pool player, and a man that has the utmost respect of about anyone that knows him or knows of him, John would certainly be at the top of the list.

I don't think we're voting on who the was the greatest onepocket player that's still alive and is either in the HOF or knows someone who posts here.

I think we're just trying to find a cool dude that can play good and isn't going to give onepocket.org a black eye in the representation department.:)

I could be totally wrong about everything I just said, I could have misconstrued everything I thought.....

but

I

Vote

For

John "The Bank Robber" Brumback :D

You can vote for who you want thats your choice. I do not single out people who are on my side or 3 people that I would tank for voting for me.

I am saying this for everyone on the site. And not the millions off words I wrote.

I am saying this for everyone. And too me it does not matter if I stand alone on what I am saying and belive.

I am not looking for support. You can do what you all want too do. This is life and we are all living it.

And I her the peplies. And all the nice replys. That does not change anything being nice. It helps being nice then not nice. But everyone is different.

And one pocket happines to be one off the games I no the most off . And I have said it a million times. I will buit up whay I no about the game agasint anyone.

And I do not get any chalanges. Excepte on the site with what shots too shoot. I no what the game real is. And Im sorry that people cant see that.

But Ihave given this too all the champions and so have other people.

But the point Im making is A hall off fame player. Showed have priority over a regular member. And a one year bank pool hall off fame player is not the choice too make to represent one pocket. I hope this is clear.

And even if he is the best one pocket player on the site. Its about What the player Represents. And John Burbank does not represnt one pocket over any off the hall off fame players.

You need a onepocket player too represent one pocket. And I dont no the goasts opinion. But I think he would agree that it should be a onepocket player.

Because he is a thinking one pocket player. And he can see whyI wwould say what I am saying.

And too pick a bank pool player over a hall a fame player or a player that is not in the class with a hall off fame playertoo represent the one pocket site

Would be a disgrace and a insulte too. What the hall off player represent and what the site represents. Would be a complete mocary out off the hall off fame players and the site.

The hall off fame players are the back bonne of the site. And thats why it got started.

And because people post and reply is great. And I do not agree with rhar either. Because if a person does not no how too use a coumputor you want too punish him. And say thier not posting.

They got in the hall a fame because off thier ability and knowledge. not because off posting or spelling. Thier are no one year players in the hall off famw.

And the have earned the wright to represent the site first. And Even if everyone says different. Its the respect that should be showen.

And If none off the hall off fame players want to go . Then I would Pick one off the other players Like all the people who post and no the game. And then you could even vote.

But I would never pick a bank pool player over some one like the Goast or SJD or Freddy or Dennies or Lou or Dock or any off the regulaers.

It would never happen . And maybe you should listen too my coaching. And if it was reverset and a bank pool tournement. Then all the bank pool players would get priority.

And the bank pool players hall off fame would get the first shot . And then the rest off the bank pool players on the site.

Do what you want . People are use too making more wrong decisions then wright ones any way.

Steve is a great guy. But its not right for him too represent the site euther.

This is not a hall off fame meeting or getting the new hall off fame players into the hall off fame.

It needs too be a player outside off the people whos site it is or who is running the site.

And IF none off the hall off fame players would ge I would say Goast or SJD. Those would be my 2 choices after the hall off fame players decline.

Who in thier right mind would pick some one over Ronnie Allen to represent one pocket. THats what Ronnie Allen was all about. One pocket. Its like picking someone else over Bab Ruth to represent the home run king.

It this happines because its the favorite too happen. I see it as a disgrace and disrespect to the real players. Picking someone over a legond. Its not even a choice.

You live with it and everyone will remember my words. Because I no what the right thing too do is.

And If all those hall off fame players were alive too today and her. I think I would get at least 90% off them too agree with me.

And too pick another person too represent the site over a hall off fame player. Is complete disrespect.To the HAll off fame one pocket players and the site.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Clare said:
Dennis, I know that you do not do tournaments, this is why I did not mention you. Otherwise, you would be one of my top selections.

Clare
Clare,

You're making me feel all warm and fuzzy:D . I don't take offense at not being mentioned, I'm blind and if I wanted to be there I would have to ride my horse to the site as planes are out for me:eek: .

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Artie Bodendorfer said:
You can vote for who you want thats your choice. I do not single out people who are on my side or 3 people that I would tank for voting for me.

I am saying this for everyone on the site. And not the millions off words I wrote.

I am saying this for everyone. And too me it does not matter if I stand alone on what I am saying and belive.

I am not looking for support. You can do what you all want too do. This is life and we are all living it.

And I her the peplies. And all the nice replys. That does not change anything being nice. It helps being nice then not nice. But everyone is different.

And one pocket happines to be one off the games I no the most off . And I have said it a million times. I will buit up whay I no about the game agasint anyone.

And I do not get any chalanges. Excepte on the site with what shots too shoot. I no what the game real is. And Im sorry that people cant see that.

But Ihave given this too all the champions and so have other people.

But the point Im making is A hall off fame player. Showed have priority over a regular member. And a one year bank pool hall off fame player is not the choice too make to represent one pocket. I hope this is clear.

And even if he is the best one pocket player on the site. Its about What the player Represents. And John Burbank does not represnt one pocket over any off the hall off fame players.

You need a onepocket player too represent one pocket. And I dont no the goasts opinion. But I think he would agree that it should be a onepocket player.

Because he is a thinking one pocket player. And he can see whyI wwould say what I am saying.

And too pick a bank pool player over a hall a fame player or a player that is not in the class with a hall off fame playertoo represent the one pocket site

Would be a disgrace and a insulte too. What the hall off player represent and what the site represents. Would be a complete mocary out off the hall off fame players and the site.

The hall off fame players are the back bonne of the site. And thats why it got started.

And because people post and reply is great. And I do not agree with rhar either. Because if a person does not no how too use a coumputor you want too punish him. And say thier not posting.

They got in the hall a fame because off thier ability and knowledge. not because off posting or spelling. Thier are no one year players in the hall off famw.

And the have earned the wright to represent the site first. And Even if everyone says different. Its the respect that should be showen.

And If none off the hall off fame players want to go . Then I would Pick one off the other players Like all the people who post and no the game. And then you could even vote.

But I would never pick a bank pool player over some one like the Goast or SJD or Freddy or Dennies or Lou or Dock or any off the regulaers.

It would never happen . And maybe you should listen too my coaching. And if it was reverset and a bank pool tournement. Then all the bank pool players would get priority.

And the bank pool players hall off fame would get the first shot . And then the rest off the bank pool players on the site.

Do what you want . People are use too making more wrong decisions then wright ones any way.

Steve is a great guy. But its not right for him too represent the site euther.

This is not a hall off fame meeting or getting the new hall off fame players into the hall off fame.

It needs too be a player outside off the people whos site it is or who is running the site.

And IF none off the hall off fame players would ge I would say Goast or SJD. Those would be my 2 choices after the hall off fame players decline.

Who in thier right mind would pick some one over Ronnie Allen to represent one pocket. THats what Ronnie Allen was all about. One pocket. Its like picking someone else over Bab Ruth to represent the home run king.

It this happines because its the favorite too happen. I see it as a disgrace and disrespect to the real players. Picking someone over a legond. Its not even a choice.

You live with it and everyone will remember my words. Because I no what the right thing too do is.

And If all those hall off fame players were alive too today and her. I think I would get at least 90% off them too agree with me.

And too pick another person too represent the site over a hall off fame player. Is complete disrespect.To the HAll off fame one pocket players and the site.
could someone give a summary of this post

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lll said:
steve is it better to pm you as one pocket or as nh steve??
im pm ing nh steve
I log in every day NH Steve; I only log in as onepocket if I think there is "official business" or moderation duties that need to be tended to, so if you want me to see a message sooner, definitely try NH Steve or email or cell phone (which I am happy to PM to anyone on here).

lfigueroa

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

So all of that said, I have to reluctantly take my name down from the voting.

And lastly, (and as I said, I have definitely taken myself off the list) wow, I didn't realize it, but I guess I must be a terrible person or something (maybe cuz I argue with 'Gentleman John Henderson', lol - although we're buddies now, having talked on the phone with John twice in the last week :)) - since several people on here didn't even have me in their top three choices as a worthy candidate to represent onepocket.org, even after many worthy candidates couldn't accept a nomination because they were already signed up, and were off the list......so then, hmm, let's see - does the Ghost have any valid/appropriate criteria?..:confused:...

- Ghroast

I can't believe you would go through all that to weasel out of buying me a beer :) Just kidding, and believe me, I totally understand about making travel choices and compromises.

And so, given all that, I would totally agree with you about nominating Steve. And, if for whatever reasons Steve is unwilling/cannot accept, then I also agree with your nominations of Freddy and Doc.

Personally -- and I mean absolutely no disrespect to guys like John Brumback, because he is a true champion and would, undoubtedly, represent the group well -- onepocket.org, as is AZ and was RSB, are places that in their own way have done tons to engender enthusiasm for pool and knowledge about the game. And, it is by the participation and contributions of the guys who post regularly, day in and day out, that all that happens. There is really no other way to acknowledge what the Internet aficionados do for the pool community, other than the rare opportunity that this nomination offers.

There are HOF nominations, tournament wins, BD covers, Mosconi Cups, tournament and calcutta payouts, and general acclaim that the pros can shoot for. But this truly is a special opportunity, through the good graces of Mark Griffin, where the contributions of the guys who just simply love the game and help keep it alive and well through the Internet, can be recognized.

So I say Freddy should go. And if not him, I would then be proud to have Doc fly the colors.

Lou Figueroa

Deeman

Verified Member
Dennis,

I'm now just like you on the flight thing, until they allow us to ride blonds, I'll be driving to every event I attend. My only exception now is funerals!

I love the debate here but thought the process would be easier!

DeeMan

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I like the Ghost as a good candidate, too -- that's why I believe I listed him first way back when. Then I did start to get suspicious that he couldn't go for some reason, because he wasn't weighing in -- I guess my instincts were right.

I guess some of you didn't like my idea of a new member going, but I look at it from the point of view of always welcoming new members. For example, I'd love to see Ike Runnels sign up here and he is a player that I love the way he plays, and I like the way he seems to always handle himself like a gentleman. If he was a member here, he would be someone I would be promoting for representing us -- but maybe you Chicago guys know more dirt on him than I do :D

Likewise, if Ronnie Allen wanted to represent us (he is already in our One Pocket HOF of course) I would not mind that he is not yet an active member, I think he is a good candidate. That goes for other living members of the One Pocket HOF: Jack Cooney, Jimmy "Flyboy" Spears, etc.

I also definitely like the idea of John Brumback -- yes he is primarily a Banks player, but he is working at One Pocket, and he is an active member here, and he is a real gentleman in competition that everyone respects. I also like the fact that John Brumback really wants to go -- that's another big plus.

A lot of good candidates seem to have ruled themselves out -- such as Henderson, Grady, Billy I, Ghost, Lou F, and me (I could, but I would rather see someone else go, and I will still come along and represent us as Steve Booth, OnePocket.org :D )

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
To summarize, as some people who have opted out keep being brought up:

NAME.........REASON....................................POST #

Daulton---- Out due to scheduling conflicts----17

John H.---- Already in---------------------------15

Bill Incardona--Scheduling----------------------17

L. Figueroa--Already in--------------------------22

Bernie P.----Already in--------------------------36

SJD-----Opted out-------------------------------37

Steve Booth-Will be busy at tourney------------45

Senor----No thanks------------------------------49

Col. Bille-No thanks------------------------------52

Ghosty---Can't do it------------------------------65

El Beardo--No thanks-----------------------------70

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
lll said:
could someone give a summary of this post

Larry....Here's an excerpt from Artie's post that summarizes it...:D >>>

Artie Bodendorfer said:

- Ghroasty