question for john brumback

bstroud

Verified Member
Ill,

I was around Bugs a lot. I watched the video.

He seems to say he uses a lot of English on every bank but if you observe the cue ball carefully you will see it react like he used center ball.

I watched him a lot and he always seemed to line up every shot with high reverse but ended up hitting the cue ball in the center.

Bill S.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Ill,

I was around Bugs a lot. I watched the video.

He seems to say he uses a lot of English on every bank but if you observe the cue ball carefully you will see it react like he used center ball.

I watched him a lot and he always seemed to line up every shot with high reverse but ended up hitting the cue ball in the center.

Bill S.
thanks for the reply bill
i also noticed alot of banks that when the diagram showed a full hit it wasnt a stop shot

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
My guess from an uneducated bank pool perspective is that the Chicago style tends to use more english to bank the ball in the direction they want. Brumback, when possible, overcuts the OB with stun or center ball on the CB, which shortens the bank angle more directly into the heart of the pocket. That may be more of a Kentucky style. JB, Jim or some of the others would have to address that.

But guys at the highest level, like Rucker, Taylor, Spaeth, and Brumback all have an innate gift of the ability to have a feel for bank shots. They may use different techniques, but they all have that spatial understanding of how to bank the balls into the holes.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
My guess from an uneducated bank pool perspective is that the Chicago style tends to use more english to bank the ball in the direction they want. Brumback, when possible, overcuts the OB with stun or center ball on the CB, which shortens the bank angle more directly into the heart of the pocket. That may be more of a Kentucky style. JB, Jim or some of the others would have to address that.

But guys at the highest level, like Rucker, Taylor, Spaeth, and Brumback all have an innate gift of the ability to have a feel for bank shots. They may use different techniques, but they all have that spatial understanding of how to bank the balls into the holes.

~Doc
the flatter angle makes the pocket play bigger
its on his dvd
here is the link
buy it
you will learn alot
only trying to help john....:)
http://new2youqs.com/cues/jbDVD.html

John Brumback

Verified Member
dmgwalsh posted this link to bugs 3 part instructional on banking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAlRHRJidaM&feature=youtu.be
bugs seems to use low english and side spin on alot of his banks
question for you john
why does he do that??
do you??

IMO, he explains and does what he says he is doing, pretty darn good Larry.
( I just now watched it)

Any and all the spin he is using is the same reason as my method...to get the best angle into the pocket. ( bigger pocket)

If you will notice however, most of his shots are hit with center ball.

Center ball holds most bank shots,therefore making the pocket play big.

I just took it one step farther because that's who I watched and learned from. I think I use more top than Bug's did. I like to warp them in with lots of top and make them bend into the pocket to get even a bigger pocket:lol John B.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
IMO, he explains and does what he says he is doing, pretty darn good Larry.
( I just now watched it)

Any and all the spin he is using is the same reason as my method...to get the best angle into the pocket. ( bigger pocket)

If you will notice however, most of his shots are hit with center ball.

Center ball holds most bank shots,therefore making the pocket play big.

I just took it one step farther because that's who I watched and learned from. I think I use more top than Bug's did. I like to warp them in with lots of top and make them bend into the pocket to get even a bigger pocket:lol John B.
thanks for the reply john
now you have come to florida for a few days....:)
PLEASE...:):):):):)

bstroud

Verified Member
The one consistent think I noticed on the video was the way the object ball has the same spin on it that assisted in getting it in the pocket.

Taylor did this too.

I don't see it is possible on the Diamond I play on.

Looks like the Simmonis cloth to me.

Perhaps JB can explain this.

Bill S.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The one consistent think I noticed on the video was the way the object ball has the same spin on it that assisted in getting it in the pocket.

Taylor did this too.

Dang. I never even considered this, but it must be worth adjusting for on a lot of banks.

Thanks, Bill

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I understand why the cross sides open up the pocket, make it bigger, when you hold them up. But why does the same apply on the cross corners? I know it's true because all the good bankers do it, but it seems to me thinking about it shortening up the cross corners makes the pocket smaller and I wonder where I'm going wrong in my thinking.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I understand why the cross sides open up the pocket, make it bigger, when you hold them up. But why does the same apply on the cross corners? I know it's true because all the good bankers do it, but it seems to me thinking about it shortening up the cross corners makes the pocket smaller and I wonder where I'm going wrong in my thinking.

The English used to shorten the OB makes the pockets accept the ball better.
They often hit the bottom point and then the top one and fall in, not so with the other English. IMO

beatle

Verified Member
it does when you are lower on the rail, also it slightly enlarges your hit area on the rail when you flatten out the path.
mostly it gives you and easier visualization of the path and more control.

the more open the angle the quicker outside english will take and make you miss long.

John Brumback

Verified Member
The English used to shorten the OB makes the pockets accept the ball better.
They often hit the bottom point and then the top one and fall in, not so with the other English. IMO

This is right on,imo. JB

bstroud

Verified Member
The English effect works fine on a lot of tables but not at all on my 4 1/4" Diamond. It just spits out any ball that hits the inside point.

Bill S.