Rooms that want to be in the final poll for the OnePocket.org tournament

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I thought the Ghost's post about Chris's Billiards was excellent in the information it provided to all of us about Chris's. What I want from all the other "contending" rooms -- before we post a multiple choice poll to vote on a final location -- is to provide answers to these questions for other rooms so we can all compare apples to apples.

1. The room owner needs to be contacted to verify that they want to host us and any date concerns they might have
  2. How many 9' tables & basic description of the tables?
  3. Green fees per person, and will they cover all 3 days all players whether still in the tourney or not?
  4. Major airport distance?
  5. Hotel distance and rate?
  6. Food availability?
  7. Drinks availability?
  8. Smoking or non-smoking?
  9. Special considerations about either the room or the immediate area -- please describe

Did I miss anything? I would like to propose anyone who wants to put together this information for a room they wish to promote, go ahead and do it so it can be included in a multiple choice poll. The only exception being New Orleans area rooms because we want to move to a different part of the country in fairness to our diverse player locations. Again, ANYONE WHO WANTS TO ADVOCATE FOR A ROOM IS WELCOME TO BECOME THAT ROOM'S ADVOCATE AND GET ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS.

Please post in this thread using roughly this format. Thank you!!! Our experience at Lacy's last year was fantastic, and we can only hope this year will be a similar success.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The Ghost's post about Chris's Billiards
Sorry for starting another thread, but I didn't want this info to get lost in the shuffle.

Was too tired last night to write this because I just had got home from battling Chicago Mike for 6 hours.

Before I contributed to this cluster-fukk, re Chris's Billiards, I wanted to talk to Buddy/owner of Chris's Billiards...

So yesterday I told Buddy (who I've known for about 30 years) about the tournament and not only is he cool with hosting the tournament, he enthusiastically wants to host it.....to quote him, he jokingly said to me "Bring it on - It'd be good to see some new faces around here for a few days - I'm tired of looking at all of you regulars ugly mugs"

Ok then, facts and my comments:

1. Chris's is a historic old school poolroom (the poolroom where about 18 yrs. ago Alex Pagulayan first started playing One Pocket - with me for $10 a game :)) well worth seeing if you've never been.

2. As I already said, Buddy is more than happy to have us, and when I asked him if $30 a man green fees seemed reasonable to him for his end, he said "That's fine, hell, they can even give me $20 a man." And he doesn't care what month it is.

3A. Chris's is located just a short drive down the freeway from O'Hare International Airport for those who would be flying in.

3B. There are no motels very close to Chris's...the closest are a decent budget motel, and a more upscale Holiday Inn - both approx. 2-3 miles away.

4. As has been mentioned by a couple of other posters, Chris's does not have a bar or cafe/restaurant so the only small meals that they have are hot dogs, tamales/tacos, and frozen pizzas ... but, Buddy has no problem with people bringing in their own food and liquor - everybody does it ... just 50 feet down the block from Chris's entrance is a liquor store...

... and, as for food, directly across the street from Chris's is a Chinese takeout restaurant, two blocks away is a Polish home cooking restaurant, 5 blocks away is a restaurant that has some of the best slabs of ribs in Chicago, 8 blocks away is a fish market that sells delicious 1/2 lb.- 1 lb. French fried shrimp and/or scallops to go in paper bags, and, lastly, there's an Italian pizzeria nearby with super great pizza that we always order from.

5. Chris's is totally non-smoking.

6. Chris's has plenty of tables - approx. 25 9 ft. tables, a mixture of Gold Crowns and Diamonds, 8 Diamond bar tables, 5 three-cushion tables, and one 6 x 12 snooker table.

A couple of other things: as regards Jerry's neighborhood safety concern ... that's laughable where Chris's is concerned - Chris's is located in a middle-class residential neighborhood - the kind of neighborhood where city workers (like cops and firemen, etc.) live. Directly across the street from Chris's is a big nice neighborhood park, and next door is the local firehouse.

Another thing that Chris's Billiards has in spades (that most other poolrooms don't have) is excellent, plentiful seating around all the tables. There are 3 to 6 comfortable stadium chairs around every table, and, personally, I think this is huge, especially for an event like ours, cuz this lets lots of us guys have good seating to sweat other people's matches - I'm attaching a couple of pictures to show this and to show part of the poolroom - the room that you are seeing in these two pics, is one of three separate rooms that make up Chris's Billiards.

If there's anything I've forgotten to mention, let me know.

Lastly, if Chris's gets chosen, I will help out where needed - anybody can pm or call me for info re. transportation, lodging, etc. etc.....and I've been talking to Matt and we'd work together.

- Ghost

PS, That's onepocket.org members Clyde and Tom in the first pic.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I think the only other thing i can think of is we need to set a time limit on room nominations. IMO 7 days would be a good time limit and still give us enough time for voting on other stuff the next few weeks.

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
It was nice to be considered guys but "Red Shoes Billiards" due to a new construction project AND inability to conduct a CALCUTTA (I have slot machines and the Illinois Gaming Commission considers that PARA-MUTUAL WAGERING) can NOT host the One Pocket.org 2017 Tournament. I would certainly vote for CHRIS'S Billiards.....why hell I might even play if it was there. GOOD LUCK, John Lavin (Red Shoes Billiards)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It was nice to be considered guys but "Red Shoes Billiards" due to a new construction project AND inability to conduct a CALCUTTA (I have slot machines and the Illinois Gaming Commission considers that PARA-MUTUAL WAGERING) can NOT host the One Pocket.org 2017 Tournament. I would certainly vote for CHRIS'S Billiards.....why hell I might even play if it was there. GOOD LUCK, John Lavin (Red Shoes Billiards)

That's a strong endorsement coming from a local "competitor" -- thank you John and someday, see you there!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am hoping other rooms will get in this so we have a range of choices. There will be no losers in the final poll anyway, because it looks like there is going to be a next year, and a next year after that, etc. One Pocket is not going away!!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

I would like to thank you for a first class pool room and your support. I have enjoyed playing in your room when in town. I wish you continued success

unoperro

Verified Member
I would like to thank you for a first class pool room and your support. I have enjoyed playing in your room when in town. I wish you continued success

John, this is all true for me also! Also enjoy videos from your trnmnts. Hope to return soon.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I think the only other thing i can think of is we need to set a time limit on room nominations. IMO 7 days would be a good time limit and still give us enough time for voting on other stuff the next few weeks.

Whats the rush? I know that there are four rooms in Phoenix that are available and probably would like to do it. One at least in California, one in Tacoma. It takes time to contact owners, find out the rooms etc. I believe someone was nominated to take care of the arrangements, give him the information about the rooms and let him find out. California Billiards, Contact JR Hendy, or contact Chris Swart. Malarkys Billiards, Tacoma, Wa. are two. Lenny, Bernie could be contacted about Phoenix rooms. I am for having a west coast and a east coast tournament. Planning for next years tournament should be started NOW.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I know there are 2 to 3 rooms in Phoenix that would host this and be very accommodating to the players. Also Phoenix has some onepocket.org members along with being 5 hours or less from LA and Las Vegas where there are more players there too. I know I could have the stream going at any of these rooms as I have permanent setups there so the streaming aspect would be handled which is nice. When is the date for this?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I know there are 2 to 3 rooms in Phoenix that would host this and be very accommodating to the players. Also Phoenix has some onepocket.org members along with being 5 hours or less from LA and Las Vegas where there are more players there too. I know I could have the stream going at any of these rooms as I have permanent setups there so the streaming aspect would be handled which is nice. When is the date for this?

Let's have one on the Best coast. Three hour flight to Phoenix and I already know of a great restaurant. The players are stronger on the Best coast anyway. A bus of guys from Santa Monica will fill one bracket, Hard Times in Sacramento will send a bus and I know a few members in Colorado want to play including one (12) square(d).

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Let's have one on the Best coast. Three hour flight to Phoenix and I already know of a great restaurant. The players are stronger on the Best coast anyway. A bus of guys from Santa Monica will fill one bracket, Hard Times in Sacramento will send a bus and I know a few members in Colorado want to play including one (12) square(d).

Is this an OPEN tournament or onepocket.org tournament?

I do have family in Phoenix so I can stay for free

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Whats the rush? I know that there are four rooms in Phoenix that are available and probably would like to do it. One at least in California, one in Tacoma. It takes time to contact owners, find out the rooms etc. I believe someone was nominated to take care of the arrangements, give him the information about the rooms and let him find out. California Billiards, Contact JR Hendy, or contact Chris Swart. Malarkys Billiards, Tacoma, Wa. are two. Lenny, Bernie could be contacted about Phoenix rooms. I am for having a west coast and a east coast tournament. Planning for next years tournament should be started NOW.

I'm not in a rush. We have a lot left to accomplish to get this years going if its voted to play in May. The way read it was if you wanted to nominate a room, the local person who would like it played there should contact the owner and fill us all in with the details if he wants it nominated. Most of us are in our local rooms a few times a week. If they aren't interested enough to get the information for us why should we play there. We also just can't throw a bunch of places out there across the country week after week and say hey, contact all these rooms for us will you? They might want to host your tournament. We will just muddy the waters and never get anything done. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I agree we are not in a rush -- yet. And I also am very sincere in hoping other host rooms step forward with a local advocate that knows their local room. The only reason I framed this thread is to be able to get a better picture of each option and be sure the room itself wants to host us, so we can make an informed final decision that we know will work.

A number of interesting rooms have been mentioned in various prior threads that sound good -- I am hoping someone can just take that extra step to find out if the room owner would be interested and also assemble the basic host location info.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I'm not in a rush. We have a lot left to accomplish to get this years going if its voted to play in May. The way read it was if you wanted to nominate a room, the local person who would like it played there should contact the owner and fill us all in with the details if he wants it nominated. Most of us are in our local rooms a few times a week. If they aren't interested enough to get the information for us why should we play there. We also just can't throw a bunch of places out there across the country week after week and say hey, contact all these rooms for us will you? They might want to host your tournament. We will just muddy the waters and never get anything done. Just my two cents.

Not WE want it in May, you want it in May. If planning and timing are such an issue, why wasn't this discussion in December of last year or right after the last tournament? Poor planning on your part does not mean a crises on my part. Why can't rooms be contacted? I am so sorry that naming pool rooms that are not in your back yard considered (all across the country) but every pool room mentioned so far is across the country for members on the west coast. I want choices and I want choices on the west coast. What has been looked at so far is a tournament convenient for the east coast members. I don't want to spend a thousand dollars to go to a tournament for two days. Not everyone has the luxury of going to the pool room a few times a week and not all pool rooms can accommodate what we want. I mentioned two rooms that are able to fulfill the requirements of tables, food, close to accommodations and airports. Excuse me if I thought we selected a person to take care of the details. Lenny has said there are four rooms in Phoenix, I named two so why aren't they being contacted? The cost of $.02 is now $3. and that's my $3.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Is this an OPEN tournament or onepocket.org tournament?

I do have family in Phoenix so I can stay for free

Believe it or not, there are many members of onepocket.org on the Best coast. If you're a member then playing in Phoenix is great for us, how big is this house? I'll chip in on the heating bills.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Not WE want it in May, you want it in May. If planning and timing are such an issue, why wasn't this discussion in December of last year or right after the last tournament? Poor planning on your part does not mean a crises on my part. Why can't rooms be contacted? I am so sorry that naming pool rooms that are not in your back yard considered (all across the country) but every pool room mentioned so far is across the country for members on the west coast. I want choices and I want choices on the west coast. What has been looked at so far is a tournament convenient for the east coast members. I don't want to spend a thousand dollars to go to a tournament for two days. Not everyone has the luxury of going to the pool room a few times a week and not all pool rooms can accommodate what we want. I mentioned two rooms that are able to fulfill the requirements of tables, food, close to accommodations and airports. Excuse me if I thought we selected a person to take care of the details. Lenny has said there are four rooms in Phoenix, I named two so why aren't they being contacted? The cost of $.02 is now $3. and that's my $3.

I think you are reading something into my posts that aren't there Bill. May is not my preferred choice because of my work schedule. Never has been. It was a date put out there by several other members trying to schedule around other events. We haven't voted on a date yet. June through August is my preferred dates.
Yes my suggested date of a week to close nominations was obviously too fast. It was a not very well thought out suggestion by me with my only motivation being to get this thing in gear. Its been almost three weeks and we have one room. I do feel we need a set date to close the room nominations. How long do you feel we need to select a room?
Yes, Chris's billiards is my first choice and the only room nominated so far.
FYI I've always been with you on the East Coast- West coast tournament Bill. I believe i'm the one who first suggested it and i did so with your comments in mind.... The only thing i don't understand is you wanting to fill buses from different pool rooms in California to play in a verified members only tournament in Phoenix. I didn't know we had bus loads of members in California although the ones who post here i highly respect.