Golf

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Sorry, not 1p related, but saw Golf on a snooker table mentioned in another thread and got curious.
I've never played, or seen this played, before.
Could someone point me to the rules most people play by here in the states?

http://www.snookergames.co.uk/games4.html
I found this link but the rules here describe everyone having their own cue ball.

Which didn't match this video I found of SVB playing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTtfGs4j-0

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
There are many ways to play Golf. Some play with one OB to each player, some play with two OB's to each player, and some even play with each player having his own CB.

The SVB video shows them playing with one OB each, and they both use the same CB. This is the simplest way to play.

The rules can vary a lot also. Here are some we used in FT Lauderdale for many years:

Each player enters the game by banking his ball off the six ball spot on a snooker table, going for the bottom right side hole. From there the holes are numbered 1 thru 6 going clockwise around the table.

All fouls cost one hickey, same foul rules as in one pocket.

If you hit the wrong ball first, that ball gets replaced, and you owe three hickeys.

We played "paint" which means if you can see the paint on your ball, you must hit it or take a hickey. If you can't see paint you are free to lag anywhere on the table free.

Each time your ball is made in the proper hole you proceed to the next hole, shotting your OB off the six ball spot.

Two fouls in a row by a player, you go back a hole.

There may be a few more rules, I can't remember. It is an absolutely great addictive game even played one on one, but a six or seven man game is the bomb.

Lots of defense, lots of kicking. Nothing like a six man game and everyone is going for the six hole at the same time, talk about tension.

If our tournament gets played in Chicago this year, I plan to go. Chris's has a 6x12 snooker table, and I would hope we could get some really good GOLF games going. This is a great game and should be promoted and saved.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
There are many ways to play Golf. Some play with one OB to each player, some play with two OB's to each player, and some even play with each player having his own CB.

The SVB video shows them playing with one OB each, and they both use the same CB. This is the simplest way to play.

The rules can vary a lot also. Here are some we used in FT Lauderdale for many years:

Each player enters the game by banking his ball off the six ball spot on a snooker table, going for the bottom right side hole. From there the holes are numbered 1 thru 6 going clockwise around the table.

All fouls cost one hickey, same foul rules as in one pocket.

If you hit the wrong ball first, that ball gets replaced, and you owe three hickeys.

We played "paint" which means if you can see the paint on your ball, you must hit it or take a hickey. If you can't see paint you are free to lag anywhere on the table free.

Each time your ball is made in the proper hole you proceed to the next hole, shotting your OB off the six ball spot.

Two fouls in a row by a player, you go back a hole.

There may be a few more rules, I can't remember. It is an absolutely great addictive game even played one on one, but a six or seven man game is the bomb.

Lots of defense, lots of kicking. Nothing like a six man game and everyone is going for the six hole at the same time, talk about tension.

If our tournament gets played in Chicago this year, I plan to go. Chris's has a 6x12 snooker table, and I would hope we could get some really good GOLF games going. This is a great game and should be promoted and saved.

I am sure we will play golf in Chicago if we go as there are several of us here who have played it and enjoy it including myself.

We always played each man has their own OB and uses the same CB as everyone else. Some of the rules you mentioned are the same way we played but here are some of the differences or additional info:

We never played paint. If you couldn't see your ball you had to kick at it. As far as hickeys (which is what we also called them), we played by the snooker rules meaning you could kick to a rail and then hit your ball and not have to drive that ball or the CB to a rail after and it was a legal shot.

Your ball spotted up on the 6 ball position for every hole except when you are on the 5 hole. Then your OB spots on the 4 ball position.

If you make an opponent's ball in the hole they are going for, it count for them and you take a hickey. When you foul, your ball comes off the table until your next turn.

I am not 100% sure on this rule but it seems like we played this way. If you foul while moving an opponents ball away form the hole, your opponent has a choice to move it back to where it was or play it where it is. Typically you would have to go mark your ball before the shot takes place if you think it could affect your position. Place your finger on your tongue and then on the table right next to your ball and now you have place of reference.

We never played going back a hole for 2 consecutive fouls. Heck, some guys wold foul 3, 4 times in a row adding to their hickey count is nice.

We played 4, 5 6 handed, good fun. We usually played 10/1 or 20/2, This means it's $20 per man and then each of their hickeys cost $2 each. SO if you had 5 hickeys in a game, you owe $30. Winner of the game collects from all of the other players in the game. The winner of the game gets all the cheese. So it's a good game, if you win 1 out of 6 games you break even (if playing 6 handed).

The worst part about the game, imo, is that the weakest player in the game will usually let the person following him win the game. So, even though you may play perfect, if someone doesn't play a good defensive shot, they cost everyone the game.

One thing we used to do was whoever lets the person out has to pay double. So that way, it provides extra incentive for people to play tight when they guy following them is close to getting out.

I know hendy has played quite a bit of golf so I m not sure what rules they have that are different than the ones we have talked about already, would be curious to know. Also Steve has played it as well.

How have others played the game?

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I am sure we will play golf in Chicago if we go as there are several of us here who have played it and enjoy it including myself.

We always played each man has their own OB and uses the same CB as everyone else. Some of the rules you mentioned are the same way we played but here are some of the differences or additional info:

We never played paint. If you couldn't see your ball you had to kick at it. As far as hickeys (which is what we also called them), we played by the snooker rules meaning you could kick to a rail and then hit your ball and not have to drive that ball or the CB to a rail after and it was a legal shot.

Your ball spotted up on the 6 ball position for every hole except when you are on the 5 hole. Then your OB spots on the 4 ball position.

If you make an opponent's ball in the hole they are going for, it count for them and you take a hickey. When you foul, your ball comes off the table until your next turn.

I am not 100% sure on this rule but it seems like we played this way. If you foul while moving an opponents ball away form the hole, your opponent has a choice to move it back to where it was or play it where it is. Typically you would have to go mark your ball before the shot takes place if you think it could affect your position. Place your finger on your tongue and then on the table right next to your ball and now you have place of reference.

We never played going back a hole for 2 consecutive fouls. Heck, some guys wold foul 3, 4 times in a row adding to their hickey count is nice.

We played 4, 5 6 handed, good fun. We usually played 10/1 or 20/2, This means it's $20 per man and then each of their hickeys cost $2 each. SO if you had 5 hickeys in a game, you owe $30. Winner of the game collects from all of the other players in the game. The winner of the game gets all the cheese. So it's a good game, if you win 1 out of 6 games you break even (if playing 6 handed).

The worst part about the game, imo, is that the weakest player in the game will usually let the person following him win the game. So, even though you may play perfect, if someone doesn't play a good defensive shot, they cost everyone the game.

One thing we used to do was whoever lets the person out has to pay double. So that way, it provides extra incentive for people to play tight when they guy following them is close to getting out.

I know hendy has played quite a bit of golf so I m not sure what rules they have that are different than the ones we have talked about already, would be curious to know. Also Steve has played it as well.

How have others played the game?

CK

Yeah, similar rules. I don't too much care what rules we use, they are the same for all. I think some rules exist to try to prolong the game like your spotting the OB on the four spot instead of the six spot which makes it harder to get shape coming off the five hole. Paint is a rule in that vain because it allows other players to help near the end when one player gets his ball close to the out hole. A player that precedes the player who is in danger of letting his man out can hook him, which if successful, lets him lag to a safe position, hopefully. The paint rule also says that you can't be hooked 100% coming off another player's foul, if you see paint you must try to hit your ball, if no paint the ball that is hooking you is marked and lifted then put back after your shot.

It would be nice to settle on some rules, write them up, and post them at Chris's. Maybe we can develop a list of players interested in playing. If we have too many at any given time we can draw numbers or something.

I agree that that a penalty for selling out is necessary.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Sounds really cool. Thanks for sharing the different rules. Would really like to play some. Hope i can make it to Chicago if that happens.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Actually I have never played the real game on a large table. What I have played a lot of, and still do because it is very popular locally, is an odd variation of golf on a 9' table that is called "Around the World".

"Roundy" begins with all 15 balls on the table, with the 1-ball racked in the middle. The break is required to be hard enough for 6 balls to hit the rail (to prevent safety breaks), and if you make any ball you keep shooting. You can pocket the 2 through 15 balls, any ball in any pocket (call shot) to get position, but the only thing that actually matters is to pocket the 1-ball in all six pockets (in order, like golf -- but we have the order wrong, lol). Every time the 1-ball goes in, it comes back out on the spot. Good shooters run all six pockets fairly often. It has some other quirks to the rules but that is the gist of it.

But I am very interested in real golf, so I am looking forward to seeing that played.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Actually I have never played the real game on a large table. What I have played a lot of, and still do because it is very popular locally, is an odd variation of golf on a 9' table that is called "Around the World".

"Roundy" begins with all 15 balls on the table, with the 1-ball racked in the middle. The break is required to be hard enough for 6 balls to hit the rail (to prevent safety breaks), and if you make any ball you keep shooting. You can pocket the 2 through 15 balls, any ball in any pocket (call shot) to get position, but the only thing that actually matters is to pocket the 1-ball in all six pockets (in order, like golf -- but we have the order wrong, lol). Every time the 1-ball goes in, it comes back out on the spot. Good shooters run all six pockets fairly often. It has some other quirks to the rules but that is the gist of it.

But I am very interested in real golf, so I am looking forward to seeing that played.

ah, that's right..I knew you played a different variation but had forgotten it was on a 9' instead of snooker table.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I almost forgot too, depending on how long you want to extend the game, we sometimes played with obstacles. If we played 6 or 7 handed we may not have used any but if it were 3 or 4 we would use 1 or 2 obstacles. You could use more or less.

Obstacles are the red snooker balls. After each person shot in round 1, the obstacles would be spot up on the 4, 5 and 6 positions (if you were playing with 3 obstacles). These could be used to your advatage or disadvantage. Carom your ball off of them or hide your opponent behind them.

If you pocket a red ball, like pocketing any other ball you get a hickey and your ball comes off the table and the red one is spotted back up at the nearest spot closest to the hole it went in.

We kept track of hickeys on a big chalk board so you woild have to have a way to keep track and whee everyone could see how many hickeys each person had so there was no discrepacy at the end.

fun game though and I wouldn't mind playing a game or 2 also in chitown.

My fear is with the golf table and also having a billiards table at Chris', I hope I have time for both in between all the one hole I want to play :)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Golf

I have played golf for over 60 years. Grew up just outside Los Angeles and in the 50's/60's almost every pool room had 5 x 10 snooker tables and a few had 6 x 12's. It was a great gambling game and ring games were common and a boon to the pool rooms because multiple players would play and many rooms had an "A" and "B" player table going all day.

One pocket players picked up the nuances of the game fairly quickly. Ronnie Allen was a very good golf player, especially on a 5 x 10. Most do not know he was a snooker and golf player before he became a legend at one pocket.

There are of course many different rules and ways to play, but the most common is one cue ball and an object ball for each player. I still play when I can at California Billiards in Fremont, CA. They have two 6 x 12's and a few golf players. We generally play $20/2 in ring games and more in heads up games.

In the early 80's I took a little road trip with my old friend Poker Paul from San Jose, CA. It was summertime with almost no decent action so we decided to take a trip. Paul knew the spots we might find some golf action(My best game then), so off we went in Paul's brand new Camero.

We made a couple nice little scores around Phoenix and headed to Albuquerque, New Mexico. Golf, like one pocket is a game you can hide your skill level and take your time feeling out the competition. Our first stop in New Mexico was The Corner Pocket where Cowboy Jimmy Moore was the house pro.

I made a game with one of the locals, a Mexican guy named Wilford for $10/1. I was stalling and did not know it at the time, but he was too. The table was awful with a loose bottom rail and any ball that hit it would bounce. A guy was sweating the game who had on a uniform that had a patch that said Animal Control on it. I quit because of the table and he asked me to play. I said not on this and he said there was a good table nearby. Paul and I followed him to room downtown and we kicked it off for $50/5.

We played several hours and when the room closed we were down $750. Paul never said a word until we got back to the motel. He turned and looked at me and said 'I got me a hell of a road man The ******* dogcatcher beats him for $750'.

Turns out the guy could play and we saw him in action all over town. Whenever he matched up his partner would go out and catch the dogs or whatever. We finally got the $ back off him and a little more but it took a couple trips.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I have played golf for over 60 years. Grew up just outside Los Angeles and in the 50's/60's almost every pool room had 5 x 10 snooker tables and a few had 6 x 12's. It was a great gambling game and ring games were common and a boon to the pool rooms because multiple players would play and many rooms had an "A" and "B" player table going all day.

One pocket players picked up the nuances of the game fairly quickly. Ronnie Allen was a very good golf player, especially on a 5 x 10. Most do not know he was a snooker and golf player before he became a legend at one pocket.

There are of course many different rules and ways to play, but the most common is one cue ball and an object ball for each player. I still play when I can at California Billiards in Fremont, CA. They have two 6 x 12's and a few golf players. We generally play $20/2 in ring games and more in heads up games.

In the early 80's I took a little road trip with my old friend Poker Paul from San Jose, CA. It was summertime with almost no decent action so we decided to take a trip. Paul knew the spots we might find some golf action(My best game then), so off we went in Paul's brand new Camero.

We made a couple nice little scores around Phoenix and headed to Albuquerque, New Mexico. Golf, like one pocket is a game you can hide your skill level and take your time feeling out the competition. Our first stop in New Mexico was The Corner Pocket where Cowboy Jimmy Moore was the house pro.

I made a game with one of the locals, a Mexican guy named Wilford for $10/1. I was stalling and did not know it at the time, but he was too. The table was awful with a loose bottom rail and any ball that hit it would bounce. A guy was sweating the game who had on a uniform that had a patch that said Animal Control on it. I quit because of the table and he asked me to play. I said not on this and he said there was a good table nearby. Paul and I followed him to room downtown and we kicked it off for $50/5.

We played several hours and when the room closed we were down $750. Paul never said a word until we got back to the motel. He turned and looked at me and said 'I got me a hell of a road man The ******* dogcatcher beats him for $750'.

Turns out the guy could play and we saw him in action all over town. Whenever he matched up his partner would go out and catch the dogs or whatever. We finally got the $ back off him and a little more but it took a couple trips.

Awesome!
Thanks for the story.
Feel like i've been missing out now. A few places around here (Houston) used to have snooker tables but they've all been removed.
I still know a few places to play but they're Pakistani and I never see them play anything but traditional snooker. Maybe i can talk them into playing.
Being Muslim joints, though, no gambling.

Lucasi53

Great game - but good luck in knowing the rules. Every room has its own set of house rules and the locals (usually) will not accept/adjust otherwise. In essence, think of it as a revolving 1p game. Playing 4-handed with everyone being equal is a lot of fun. 1 weak player is no good!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have a hard-cover copy of a self-published rule book for Golf!! It was by some guy from Florida where the game was popular, and obviously, it was their local rules. It does include rules for both one and two ball versions. It's like 80 pages long so it goes to show how much of a tangle golf rules can be, lol. If I could figure out how to scan some of it without ruining the binding then I would.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.

Great story John. I know ya'll had a few laughs about that.---Smitty

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I have a hard-cover copy of a self-published rule book for Golf!! It was by some guy from Florida where the game was popular, and obviously, it was their local rules. It does include rules for both one and two ball versions. It's like 80 pages long so it goes to show how much of a tangle golf rules can be, lol. If I could figure out how to scan some of it without ruining the binding then I would.

Steve

Where in the world would you get such a thing. Golf is an obscure kind of game very much played by local rules. Most rules have a real purpose and true enough, when the players get used to them they are resistant to make any changes.

If you ever figure out how to scan that book, I would love to see some of it. I played Golf in South Florida for 6-8 years, and I may know some of those guys.

There were several levels of players in the area, some of the very best were Cuban guys that played on a customized 6x12 table. The pockets wer no more than 1/4" larger than the ball, and the pockets were very deep shelved. You could get a ball to sit in the side pocket deep enough that you could not hit it shooting down the long rail. The table was sooo fast, you couldn't believe haw far a ball would roll when first playing on it.

Sure wish my current local pool room had a golf table.:( Oh well............

chief

Verified Member

I believe the guy who wrote the book is Kenny Labar. He worked in several pool rooms around Miami. I also would like to add that one of the best golf players down there at the time was Carlos Hallon the billiard player. He didn't play much golf been when he did he was getting the cash.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I believe the guy who wrote the book is Kenny Labar. He worked in several pool rooms around Miami. I also would like to add that one of the best golf players down there at the time was Carlos Hallon the billiard player. He didn't play much golf been when he did he was getting the cash.
Interesting you say that. In the late '60s at Tiff Payne's North Hollywood Billiards --which was the best 3C room in the Southwest-- there was a top shortstop 3C player named Howard _____ (can't think of his last name). He didn't play any pool, but he loved the golf games on a pool table. He usually got the cash.:)

~Doc

chief

Verified Member
Interesting you say that. In the late '60s at Tiff Payne's North Hollywood Billiards --which was the best 3C room in the Southwest-- there was a top shortstop 3C player named Howard _____ (can't think of his last name). He didn't play any pool, but he loved the golf games on a pool table. He usually got the cash.:)

~Doc

That's pretty interesting you say that. I play one pocket billiards and golf and have lived on SoCal and have seen a lot of Mexican players that don't play pool at all but are jam up golf and billiard players. There are unknown players in both LA and SD that are just killers at both.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

~Doc

Howard Kronenwirth(Sp) Doc. Taught me how to play three cushion and was a fair golf player. Frank Torres was the best golf player in there and unbeatable with two balls each.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Golf

Yes that is the guy that wrote it!!