Scott Frost vs Alex Pagulayan Fight Night

Triple Smart

Verified Member
It has been a good tough match so far. It is going to really take something for one of them to break out and get a big lead on games. Alex plays so tight that i think its starting to get under scotts skin a little. That is very frustrating to play that way hour after hour. Brutal! I play a guy that plays that way from time to time and i can only stand so much of it before turn loose and go offensive and get my ass beat lol ....with that said...scott seems to be holding together pretty darn good in that situation IMO. Someone is going to have to have a mental come apart to lose this match. Who is mentally stronger? Thats the real question here.

1andDone

Verified Member
From
Ocean Springs, MS
I've watched almost all of the three days,( except when put to sleep) I can't believe Scott didn't negotiate some type a of arrangement regarding slow play prior to the beginning of this match. He knew how slow Alex played.

I think Scott has handled it pretty well, considering how it's being dished out to him on a continual basis. There have been numerous times, ( at least 100 ) over the course of this match that the shot to be chosen was very obvious, to Scott and the whole one pocket world that's tuned into the match, and yet Alex has pondered over, studied, and taken his sweet time selecting it.

Now Alex knows Scott is one of the faster players, so if anybody is gonna talk about sharking someone, this might be a good place to start. Keeping a player off balance & out of his normal rhythm is a subtle yet very strong shark IMO.

I also can't stand whining and moaning, that doesn't show much class either. Takes away from the game, he should be able to "Take it like a man" when things go wrong, it's just part of the game. Both have some short comings, but then who doesn't!

P.S. I don't have any ax to grind here, I'm a total fan of both players,
and whoever prevails will have earned the victory.

Jeff

I've read about the slow play. I guess I just consider it part of the game. If someone of Alex's caliber takes a long time to shoot, I don't consider myself worthy of questioning his reasoning. What may seem obvious to me may be just the tip of the iceberg to him. The shot at hand may be obvious but what happens on the next, or the next, or 5 shots from now? He may be playing scenarios in his head to see if the current shot is REALLY the best shot. Who knows? His thought processes are so far beyond mine I'm going to just be patient and let him do what he does. But if I'm arrogant enough to believe my thought processes are equal to his, I'm going to get impatient, accuse him of slow play, bark at him and try to get under his skin.

I have the utmost respect for both of their games. That being said, respecting someone's game and respecting them personally are two different things! There are many players who's games I respect tremendously and of those there are several for whom I couldn't care less if they suddenly fell off the planet.

I'm not really trying to grind an ax, either. People can like who they want to like. I just hate it, especially when top players, resort to barking and intimidation tactics! Scott complaining about rolls and blaming those rolls and his fatigue for his loss in NOLA to Alex says a lot to me about his character. A respectable, humble winner is also a gracious loser. I lost respect for Scott during that match with Alex at Buffalo's. I lost a lot more after his facebook posts which followed. He is undeniably a great player, one of the greatest! His ego is what is holding him back from being the absolute best. If he ever gets that under control, there will be no stopping him!

Last edited:

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Scott makes a good run out but he is still down two. They get into a pretty strong argument. Alex wants Scott to be quiet. Alex declares he is better and Scott should accept it. Alex brings up shit that Scott has been saying on Facebook. Alex walks off and they take another break. They just had taken one a few minutes ago. Drama

Stay FOCUSED Alex and take him down

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I've read about the slow play. I guess I just consider it part of the game. If someone of Alex's caliber takes a long time to shoot, I don't consider myself worthy of questioning his reasoning. What may seem obvious to me may be just the tip of the iceberg to him. The shot at hand may be obvious but what happens on the next, or the next, or 5 shots from now? He may be playing scenarios in his head to see if the current shot is REALLY the best shot. Who knows? His thought processes are so far beyond mine I'm going to just be patient and let him do what he does. But if I'm arrogant enough to believe my thought processes are equal to his, I'm going to get impatient, accuse him of slow play, bark at him and try to get under his skin.

I have the utmost respect for both of their games. That being said, respecting someone's game and respecting them personally are two different things! There are many players who's games I respect tremendously and of those there are several for whom I couldn't care less if they suddenly fell off the planet.

Whether he does it for some super inteligent 5 shots ahead reason, is BS.
It's sharking and he does it on purpose. Just good gameship against fast players. I have seen him do the same to Efrin. I don't know if he does it all the time but I suspect so.
Rod.
P.S. He's off my opponents list, he plays to slow. :D:p:)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
It's sharking and he does it on purpose. Just good gameship against fast players. I have seen him do the same to Efrin. I don't know if he does it all the time but I suspect so.
Rod.

Amen, I'm not taking a ball from him anymore either!!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Miller, Crabbcat, Frank, & w

When faced with what might have been an impossible win for me, due to possible time constraints,

You guys let me off the hook on that over bet, that was very nice.

Now this proves to me once again that being nice has it's rewards.

Thanks guys, YOU LUCKY RASCALS!!

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Question for Terry

Question for Terry

Terry,
For those of us who purchased the event package, will we now have to buy the extra segments of tonight and who knows or are we good? Just askin'.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Rod.

I think that Alex's thoroughness and preparation time pale in sharking value and intent compared to Scott's sharks. BTW, the biggest shark in the room IMO is Jay Helfert. It almost sounds like he is making a play for attention to himself. He has his mike turned up louder than anybody's and his remarks often are inane.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think that Alex's thoroughness and preparation time pale in sharking value and intent compared to Scott's sharks. BTW, the biggest shark in the room IMO is Jay Helfert. It almost sounds like he is making a play for attention to himself. He has his mike turned up louder than anybody's and his remarks often are inane.

I don't dispute Scott's antics, but from a fast player(myself), stalling on purpose doesn't pale too much.
Rod.
P.S. I haven't watched so I really can't comment on Scott, just know what's been said. I have watched Alex get down on shots everyone knew he wasn't going to shoot, take some practice swings and get up and look for something other than what he'd end up shooting. :)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Give me Incardona, or resurrect Grady, they are (were) the best.
They have ( had) style, class, incredible knowledge, and the ability to word it instantly. Add to that just the right amount of levity, and you have announcers who are a pleasure to listen to.

I just turn the sound off with these guys, much less of a headache that way.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Terry,
For those of us who purchased the event package, will we now have to buy the extra segments of tonight and who knows or are we good? Just askin'.

Event pass is good till the end even if last a week.:)

Plus Ray will email everyone's email that is used on audiovideoweb, that bought an event pass, and they will have access to to video of the whole match for 30 days as soon as its uploaded.

So you can still buy the event pass now and get the rest of the match no matter how long it takes and see everything you missed on the video replay.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Helfert's the reason I only bought day one.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I don't dispute Scott's antics, but from a fast player(myself), stalling on purpose doesn't pale too much.
Rod.
P.S. I haven't watched so I really can't comment on Scott, just know what's been said. I have watched Alex get down on shots everyone knew he wasn't going to shoot, take some practice swings and get up and look for something other than what he'd end up shooting. :)

And another thing,
If you've played enough high $$ pool, or played at a very high level, you might realize what a tremendous shark that stalling really is. It's a powerful weapon, after a few hours of trying to fade a tremendously slow player, it breaks you down mentally, I don't care how strong you are mentally, it will pray upon you sub conscience as well as your conscience mind, especially if you happen to be a faster player. It will accelerate your mistakes!!

I can't hear any of the exchanges made between the two, I just hear Scott whine occasionally about this and that and bacon fat. Mostly about how he got unlucky,or if he had made that ball, or if he hadn't scratched. I never hear Alex utter a word about the rolls or anything else. Kudos to him for that! That is the way you're supposed to act, not only as a world class player, but as any class player.

I'm not a proponent of slow play, as anyone who has read my posts can plainly see. I don't believe it's good gamesmanship, on the contrary, I think it should be outlawed. It's an unfair advantage, and I don't care how it's sugarcoated, or layed off, it's just not right.

That said, I'm sure Ronnie is rolling over in his grave, he was the best I ever saw at sharking, not stalling, but pure timely words or movements, designed to catch your attention in mid stroke. Those of you who played him know exactly what I'm talking about. He was a master at it, and if you didn't put a stop to it he would torment you to death with it.

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Plus Ray will email everyone's email that is used on audiovideoweb, that bought an event pass, and they will have access to to video of the whole match for 30 days as soon as its uploaded.

So you can still buy the event pass now and get the rest of the match no matter how long it takes and see everything you missed on the video replay.

Thanks Terry and please thank Ray for all of us. You guys really stand up.

pvclou

Verified Member
Scott Frost vs Alex Pagulayan Fight Night

I agree that Helfert's commentary is mostly inane. It fits his tone of voice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

thats a great deal
for those of you who havent bought the event pass i would recommend taking advantage of the offer

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I've watched almost all of the three days,( except when put to sleep) I can't believe Scott didn't negotiate some type a of arrangement regarding slow play prior to the beginning of this match. He knew how slow Alex played.

I think Scott has handled it pretty well, considering how it's being dished out to him on a continual basis. There have been numerous times, ( at least 100 ) over the course of this match that the shot to be chosen was very obvious, to Scott and the whole one pocket playing world that's tuned into the match, and yet Alex has pondered over, studied, and taken his sweet time selecting it.

Now Alex knows Scott is one of the faster players, so if anybody is gonna talk about sharking someone, this might be a good place to start. Keeping a player off balance & out of his normal rhythm is a subtle yet very strong shark IMO.
I agree with your points. IMO consistently slow play can be annoying in the extreme, especially if you're realized it's on purpose as a shark. At any rate, if that is the case, then Frost is probably entitled to a little return sharking.:)

On the other hand, Alex may just be a naturally ponderously slow player, and Scott may just be a natural whiner.:D

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I agree with your points. IMO consistently slow play can be annoying in the extreme, especially if you're realized it's on purpose as a shark. At any rate, if that is the case, then Frost is probably entitled to a little return sharking.:)

On the other hand, Alex may just be a naturally ponderously slow player, and Scott may just be a natural whiner.:D

~Doc

Alex is not that slow when he is rolling over people. Always deliberate, but it did not seem like he was very slow at DCC when almost everything was eight and out.