Tough game loss

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Last night I was gambling. Going back and forth with a usual sparring partner. I have learned a lot from this guy bc he fights like hell for every ball and has no quit in him. Tough action but I love it because I learn a lot about grinding.

After a few hours, he is up one game and it's my break and we both know it's our last game of the night. I make a ball on the break and run 6, leaving my 7th ball deep in the jaws of my hole and him with no clear shot to his hole. I am thrilled. He takes a while and finds a tough carom in the stack which has a chance but he loses if he misses. Of course he makes it and gets 6, and then sinks my 7th ball. We battle for the last balls on the table for 30 minutes and he ends up winning. Man was I pissed. Never expected to lose that one. Agonizing.

The money is not the point. I just hate losing. Heh.

Feel free to share any tough loss stories if you like.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
My sense is that the end game win goes to the player who is most vigilant, who stays with the game mentally for every shot and who doesn't get lazy or give up mentally.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Losing motivates me as do mistakes. Mistakes are my teachers. Next time it's gonna be different. Seeing Cam Newton grow up before my eyes right after a Microphone was shoved in his face was, reality/life 24/7 365. Now if your ''beatin'' the shit outta yourself mentally, that's the ''other'' guy.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Tough game loss

Losing motivates me as do mistakes. Mistakes are my teachers. Next time it's gonna be different. Seeing Cam Newton grow up before my eyes right after a Microphone was shoved in his face was, reality/life 24/7 365. Now if your ''beatin'' the shit outta yourself mentally, that's the ''other'' guy.

I agree completely Bill. Truth is I didn't bear down enough on that 7th ball. It was a cut down the rail and I cheated it. Didn't relax and make sure to pocket it. I truly had the chance to break and run and let up. AND that's just what I get! For me, that was the lesson.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
That's a real pisser. Sorry to hear. So close ..so far.

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Maybe this will make you smile. Vitas Gerulitas, a professional tennis player, lost to Jimmy Connors 16 times in a row. On their next occasion, Vita's won. During a post-match interview, he stated: "That just goes to show you, NO ONE beats Vitas Gerulitas 17 times in a row!"

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
We play in a progressive one pocket partners game. Draw partners start 25 and go up 5 each game.
I'm on a 2 week losing streak but playing good enough to to win.well were up to 75 agame and I run 6 and hang 7 with whitey on the top rail. They need 9 and the player following me makes a circus shot and runs all the way out with one of the best 9 outs I've seen. Boy talk about hot.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Last night I was gambling. Going back and forth with a usual sparring partner. I have learned a lot from this guy bc he fights like hell for every ball and has no quit in him. Tough action but I love it because I learn a lot about grinding.

After a few hours, he is up one game and it's my break and we both know it's our last game of the night. I make a ball on the break and run 6, leaving my 7th ball deep in the jaws of my hole and him with no clear shot to his hole. I am thrilled. He takes a while and finds a tough carom in the stack which has a chance but he loses if he misses. Of course he makes it and gets 6, and then sinks my 7th ball. We battle for the last balls on the table for 30 minutes and he ends up winning. Man was I pissed. Never expected to lose that one. Agonizing.

The money is not the point. I just hate losing. Heh.

Feel free to share any tough loss stories if you like.

Mitch, theres not a player alive who hasn't lost games like that. the lesson should be to never give up cause you can also win games like that. keith

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've no doubt posted this before, but it was down to the last ball for me in a hill game and I got it into the jaws of my pocket. Not real deep in the pocket, and slightly toward the foot rail side of the hole so it was both tricky to take out and tough to follow in, so I am feeling pretty hopeful. So my opponent wacks into the crevice between the side rail and the jawed ball and it comes firing out and goes three rails the long way around the table and right into my opponent's pocket! WTF?!?!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think the most frustrating losses that come up way too often for me are when I grind and grind outmoving and making it tough for my opponent and they finally make a mistake by pocket scratching. So I have ball in hand with loose balls to either run out or run up a commanding lead, but I friggin miss ball-in-hand and it ends up being my opponent that is able to mop up the loose balls. That is my most frustrating way to lose for sure. I seriously need to work on my cinch stroke, lol. :mad: :frus

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think the most frustrating losses that come up way too often for me are when I grind and grind outmoving and making it tough for my opponent and they finally make a mistake by pocket scratching. So I have ball in hand with loose balls to either run out or run up a commanding lead, but I friggin miss ball-in-hand and it ends up being my opponent that is able to mop up the loose balls. That is my most frustrating way to lose for sure. I seriously need to work on my cinch stroke, lol. :mad: :frus

Guilty of this too Steve and sorry for the loss Mitch, been there myself!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

But it keeps em comin' back :p

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I know what you mean. Some guy at the DCC I played was a tenacious SOB and had me 6-2 in his favor. He had a few balls towards his hole but the majority were up table. He played a safe against me that left me a two railer towards my hole and I could pull my cue ball behind a ball headed towards my hole. I made the two railer, the ball on the rail had a slight angle giving me a shot on two more balls, four balls. Its now 6-6. I had a tricky bank shot that would get me two more balls but I butchered the shot and left him a bank I had seen him make many time so I figured the game was over. Luckily for me, he hung it in his hole. I loaded up my cue ball with spin, hit the bottom rail, made the ball in my hole and the result was I had an easy shot for number 8. It is like you said Mitch, NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER.:cool::cool:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Tough game loss

I know what you mean. Some guy at the DCC I played was a tenacious SOB. I loaded up my cue ball with spin, hit the bottom rail, made the ball in my hole and the result was I had an easy shot for number 8. It is like you said Mitch, NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER.:cool::cool:

Curse you Bill for making me re-live that game LOL LOL. That ball was pretty deep in my hole, and when you kicked it into the point and sank it in your pocket it caused me great pain. That was a monster effing shot. And a fantastic come back.