2007 One Pocket HOF call for nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is that time of year again -- time for nominations for the 4th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Over the last three years we have elected eighteen well-deserving players into the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

* Ronnie 'Fast Eddie' Allen * Jack 'Jersey Red' Breit * Artie Bodendorfer * Melvin 'Strawberry' Brooks * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter * Steve Cook * Danny Di Liberto * John 'Rags' Fitzpatrick * Larry 'Boston Shorty' Johnson * Ed 'Champagne Eddie' Kelly * Hayden Lingo * Grady 'Professor' Mathews * Efren 'Bata' Reyes * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Bill 'Weenie Beenie' Staton * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Nick Varner *

Yet there are many other One Pocket greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to the next slate of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In early November the final list of candidates will be placed into the 4th annual OnePocket.org Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of One Pocket. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 4th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame legends dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 8, 2008 during the 10th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Every year this event has sold out and people are turned away, so make your reservations early!

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
onepocket said:
It is that time of year again -- time for nominations for the 4th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

Steve,

I have a question that perhaps you could help clarify for me. In the "Great Players" category, the words "over time" are part of the qualifications deemed important, and I totally agree. My question is can you please clarify exactly how MUCH time qualifies as "over time."? The way it reads seems a little ambiguous to me. The reason I'm inquiring is that I want to nominate Shannon Daulton for "Great Player" as well as "After
Hours Legend", but do you think he's just too young for membership? His credentials are awesome and nobody had so many of the titles he's accumulated at such a young age. He is, in my opinion, a very worthy candidate into your HOF's, both in One Pocket as well as Banks.

Thanks for all you do for our great sport!
Terry

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Terry Ardeno said:
Steve,

I have a question that perhaps you could help clarify for me. In the "Great Players" category, the words "over time" are part of the qualifications deemed important, and I totally agree. My question is can you please clarify exactly how MUCH time qualifies as "over time."? The way it reads seems a little ambiguous to me. The reason I'm inquiring is that I want to nominate Shannon Daulton for "Great Player" as well as "After
Hours Legend", but do you think he's just too young for membership? His credentials are awesome and nobody had so many of the titles he's accumulated at such a young age. He is, in my opinion, a very worthy candidate into your HOF's, both in One Pocket as well as Banks.

Thanks for all you do for our great sport!
Terry
We have been using 20 years as the guideline. Shannon will be a great candidate, but we might make him wait a little longer...

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
A deserving crop of Onepocketeer's

A deserving crop of Onepocketeer's

The living: My #1 is that old wharf rat, Pittsburg Billy Incardona. For chrisakes, this guy is still in big action! Onepocket and "Cardone" are interchangable words. Billy has been a factor in the game since the 60s! He bets high, played great, played everybody, and is still going strong. An extremely worthy Onepocketeer.
#2 is Allen Hopkins. I hated his 1pkt style, but I also always hesitated to bet against him. However, he was the world's best Onepocketeer for a few years.
#3 Jimmy Fusco. The Philly flash. I loved his style, he didnt play quite as good as Hopkins, but he was a considerable Onepocketeer nonetheless.

The dead: Gene Skinner, The Fullerton Kid, deserving, but it'll never happen. Hubert Daddy Warbucks Cokes, deserving, and it could happen. John Cannonball Lefty Chapman, deserving, and it should happen. Rudolph Minnesota Fats Wanderone, deserving, and I hope it happens.

(I just coined a new word, Onepocketeer. I hope I havent overused it already.)

the Beard

reserve your autographed pre pub copies of my upcoming DVD's, "Bank Shot that dont Go, but Do." vol 1 & 2 by going to my web or blog and sending me an email with your info.

Last edited:

The Woim

Suspended
Don Willis

Don Willis

Would Don Willis be a fair nominee?

Was he a One Pocket player in addition to all the other money match games he played?

Yours Truly,

The Woim

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not a Onepocketeer

Not a Onepocketeer

The Woim said:

Was he a One Pocket player in addition to all the other money match games he played?

Yours Truly,

The Woim

I never even heard of him ever playing Onepocket.

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Pittsburg bias?

Pittsburg bias?

Cal said:
A absolutely "MUST" MARVIN HENDERSON

Are you only saying that because Marvin was originally from Pittsburg?
No, you're right. Marvin definitely belongs in the deceased category. Three more bygone Onepocketeers are Marcel Camp, Paul Detroit Slim Graham, and Hayden Lingo.

the Beard

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
fred bentivegna said:
The living: My #1 is that old wharf rat, Pittsburg Billy Incardona. For chrisakes, this guy is still in big action! Onepocket and "Cardone" are interchangable words. Billy has been a factor in the game since the 60s! He bets high, played great, played everybody, and is still going strong. An extremely worthy Onepocketeer.
#2 is Allen Hopkins. I hated his 1pkt style, but I also always hesitated to bet against him. However, he was the world's best Onepocketeer for a few years.
#3 Jimmy Fusco. The Philly flash. I loved his style, he didnt play quite as good as Hopkins, but he was a considerable Onepocketeer nonetheless.

The dead: Gene Skinner, The Fullerton Kid, deserving, but it'll never happen. Hubert Daddy Warbucks Cokes, deserving, and it could happen. John Cannonball Lefty Chapman, deserving, and it should happen. Rudolph Minnesota Fats Wanderone, deserving, and I hope it happens.

(I just coined a new word, Onepocketeer. I hope I havent overused it already.)

the Beard

reserve your autographed pre pub copies of my upcoming DVD's, "Bank Shot that dont Go, but Do." vol 1 & 2 by going to my web or blog and sending me an email with your info.

Since there's no such thing as 101%, I'll just agree 100% with JG-In-Ky & Fred in that Allen Hopkins is such a great choice to be enshrined also. A multi-time World Champion who plays all games to the highest level, he does stand out as someone very worthy of induction. His game was so predictable and he always kept to his style, but it was very effective for him.

I'm also 100% behind Billy Incardona being nominated and hopefully, also inducted. Who has battled at that level for as long as he? Listening to his commentating at Accu-Stats, knowing his love and passion for the game and his lust for battle, as well as his second to none ability to make the correct match ups, all spell HOF.

Cal, Marvin Henderson was a wonderful..."onepocketeet" (quoting Fred's lexicon of Pooldom:D ) but I personally don't think he was as great as the aforementioned trio of Incardona, Hopkins and Fusco. Maybe the voters will see it differently than I do, but he's a lock I think once the upper crust of the cream has been picked over.

As for the dead, Hubert "Daddy Warbucks" Cokes has to be seriously considered for a number of reasons...A staunch gambler, backer and staker...a much feared tush-hog who kept things in order, a very good and accomplished player...and last but certainly not least, he deserves some extra accolades for training and then unleashing "The Little Gorilla" Nick Varner on the world of pool!

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
The Woim said:

Yours Truly,

The Woim

Larry,

Don Willis, one of the all time greats in 9 ball, would not be a fair nominee here for the exact reason Fred alluded to. I have lots of material on Willis and have never heard of him even WATCHING one pocket let alone playing in it.
It would be like nominating Mosconi...great player, wrong HOF.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
My mind is not what it used to be. Sorry for all the posts, but I forgot to nominate somebody really important and special for the One Pocket HOF, Johnny "The Velvet Foghorn" Ervolino.

So, my top 4 picks alphabetically are Johnny Ervolino, Jimmy Fusco, Allen Hopkins and Billy Incardona.

Thanks again Steve for doing all of this, althought we know that it's really a labor of love!

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
NH Steve said:
Lingo was overdue of course, when we elected him last year :)

...but the other two are eligible.

Thanks for the correction, Steve. I'll go with Mike Sigel then. New list.

1. Buddy Hall

2. Danny Jones

3. Mike Sigel

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
oldspurguy said:
Thanks for the correction, Steve. I'll go with Mike Sigel then. New list.

1. Buddy Hall

2. Danny Jones

3. Mike Sigel
Mike Sigel is certainly a great player, but he has only dabbled a little with One Pocket -- to me he hardly represents the kind of player that we are looking to honor for their 'contribution to the legacy of One Pocket'. One Pocket has not played a significant role in his career, nor has he played a significant role in One Pocket. Same with Jim Rempe -- another great player that dabbled in One Pocket a little, but like Sigel, certainly never embraced the game like many of the other guys that are available to nominate. Same with Lassiter -- he played it, and won his share, but he never embraced it or was closely associated with the game. As it happens, all three of these guys (Rempe, Sigel & Lassiter) are in the BCA HOF, so they have not gone unrecognized.

One thing I am very proud of with the One Pocket HOF (and Bank Pool) is that every single one of the players inducted strongly associated themselves with the game of One Pocket over their careers
-- let's keep it that way!

How about Jose Parica? He certainly deserves to be added to the nominations.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Teachers/Promoters

Teachers/Promoters

Not much attention has been given to the Teachers and Promotors category. The Jansco brothers should be considered. In my view, the game was put on the map by having major one-pocket competitions every year from 1961-1972. Without that exposure the game may not have developed into what it is today. Could anyone imagine our modern major one-pocket competitions, including the mightly Derby City, without the Johnston City tournaments preceding them?

In that same way, Rudolph Wanderone also could be considered.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
George and Paulie

George and Paulie

gulfportdoc said:
Not much attention has been given to the Teachers and Promotors category. The Jansco brothers should be considered. In my view, the game was put on the map by having major one-pocket competitions every year from 1961-1972. Without that exposure the game may not have developed into what it is today. Could anyone imagine our modern major one-pocket competitions, including the mightly Derby City, without the Johnston City tournaments preceding them?

In that same way, Rudolph Wanderone also could be considered.

Doc

I got to agree, Doc. They were both rogues, but loved pool and were soft touches for pool players. I speak from experience, Paulie put up my entry fee every year. And if you think of Fatty you think of Onepocket.
To my pal Terry Ardeno, Terry I overlooked Marvin Henderson. Actually, in his prime especially, I believe Marvin would be a big favorite over Cardone and Fusco, and I would bet on him playing Hopkins. The only thing Marvin couldnt beat was the bottle. There was another old-timer who played just under Rags, but only a few humans can recall him, Tommy The Greek, nee Chicago, from 4th and Main in LA. Jay Helfert, Ronnie Allen are a few of those who can attest to his top speed. Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about Jose Parica.

the Beard
I've got 2 new trick banks up on my blog, www.bankingwiththebeard.blogspot.com/ Do you think you can make 'em?

The Woim

Suspended
I second the Jansco brothers!

I second the Jansco brothers!

My post about Don Willis was a shot in the dark. I've heard so many great stories of him that I'm surprised he didn't play One Pocket.

I'm here to learn and I guess I start schooling after my very first post :eek:

Yours Truly,
The Woim

P.S. - To Terry, I never met Larry - does he play One Pocket?