The Beard goes to Johnston City

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've been reading a collection of local newspaper articles about Johnston City, and noticed the name Fred Bentivegna appearing often in 1970. For example, in first round One Pocket results, Fred beats Cisero Murphy 4-0. Also later in the week, he tops Larry Lisciotti, 4-3 before losing 4-0 to Boston Shorty and 4-3 to Ronnie Allen.

The Beard also played in the 9-Ball division, where he fared well. With wins over Jr. Goff 11-9, Steve Cook 11-7 and Wade Crane(!!) 11-10. These are just random results that show up in the local press. He must have lost eventually, because this was the year that the young Keith Thompson won the 9-ball and went on to win the all-around -- at 18 years old!!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not quite the whole story

Not quite the whole story

NH Steve said:
I've been reading a collection of local newspaper articles about Johnston City, and noticed the name Fred Bentivegna appearing often in 1970. For example, in first round One Pocket results, Fred beats Cisero Murphy 4-0. Also later in the week, he tops Larry Lisciotti, 4-3 before losing 4-0 to Boston Shorty and 4-3 to Ronnie Allen.

The Beard also played in the 9-Ball division, where he fared well. With wins over Jr. Goff 11-9, Steve Cook 11-7 and Wade Crane(!!) 11-10. These are just random results that show up in the local press. He must have lost eventually, because this was the year that the young Keith Thompson won the 9-ball and went on to win the all-around -- at 18 years old!!

If you keep digging you will find I also beat St Louis Blackie LeSeur and several others. Plus I beat Wade Crane 11 to 6, not 11 to 10. Irving Crane dispatched me in the 9 ball, and I forgot who else. (Crane was the only guy who made me dog it) I lost to Ronnie 4-3 in the semi-finals and then played Shorty on the losers side, and he went on to play Ronnie in the finals. I was pounding on Keith Thompson in the back room playing him 9 to 8 and 8 to 7 (1pkt). He won the all around using my cue stick.

Beard

I had Ronnie 3 games to 2 and 7 to 0 when I foolishly went for a 3 ball combo instead of cleaning house. We were playing winner breaks and he got 3 balls off of his next break and I never recovered.
Cisero had to fade 4 eight and outs.

Attachments

• scan (600 x 507).jpg
    scan (600 x 507).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 3

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
If you keep digging you will find I also beat St Louis Blackie LeSeur and several others. Plus I beat Wade Crane 11 to 6, not 11 to 10. Irving Crane dispatched me in the 9 ball, and I forgot who else. (Crane was the only guy who made me dog it) I lost to Ronnie 4-3 in the semi-finals and then played Shorty on the losers side, and he went on to play Ronnie in the finals. I was pounding on Keith Thompson in the back room playing him 9 to 8 and 8 to 7 (1pkt). He won the all around using my cue stick.

Beard

I had Ronnie 3 games to 2 and 7 to 0 when I foolishly went for a 3 ball combo instead of cleaning house. We were playing winner breaks and he got 3 balls off of his next break and I never recovered.

If my heart had cockles, they would be indeed warm after reading Earl's piece...

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hippie days

Hippie days

gulfportdoc said:
"We asked if this kid was stylish, and the word was 'No'".:D Now that's funny! You must have been quite the package then, Beard...;)

Doc

I was in Hippie garb back then, Doc, but I dont think Newby was referring to my attire.

Beard

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Keith Thompson

Keith Thompson

fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Whatever happened to him?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Keith Squirrel Thompson

Keith Squirrel Thompson

blackeee said:
Whatever happened to him?

The onus of winning an all around against Ronnie and Wimpy at age 19, was overwhelming. He just didnt play that good, and from that point on he was a marked man. A matter of too much, too soon. He returned to Johnston City in 1971 and couldnt beat a drum.

Beard