Jan 6-10 -8 Champions Race to 7 $2000 Entry $5000 added

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Danny takes the first set. What a set. Final set coming up!

Also- it must be noted- Josh Roberts in the booth and did a fantastic job commentating that set IMO.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Danny won the first set.

Neither player played up to the standards he set in earlier play. I may need to take back my implication of Tony's edge over Scott.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Danny won the first set.

Neither player played up to the standards he set in earlier play. I may need to take back my implication of Tony's edge over Scott.

john dont be so hasty
several days of play can wear you down
and a not so long ago money match of alex/scott didnt make scott look so good.....;)
just sayin ...:D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
john dont be so hasty
several days of play can wear you down
and a not so long ago money match of alex/scott didnt make scott look so good.....;)
just sayin ...:D

This game can make us look really good one hour and really bad the next. That's why I said "may" after seeing Tony play weaker than I've previously seen.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
tony for sure is not in the zone he was in yesterday
but so far they both are playing lights out and although more aggressive than "conventional wisdom"
both do seem to show prudence when indicated....:)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I watched several hours of the match and imo both players played very well. Game #11 was a pivotal game that Danny stole, the match was tied up at 5-5 and Tony needed one ball and it was in the jaws of his pocket. Danny was forced to bank not one ball but two balls to escape from the trap and i'm not talking about easy cross corner banks they were tough banks that he split the wick with both of them. Danny showed a lot of heart in that game and stole it from Tony in spite of how well Tony was playing. Again in the last game, game # 12 Tony had a 5 to 0 lead and Danny again played some super shots and again stole the game from Tony. Wow!! is all I can say Danny played some great one pocket and beat a great player in doing it.

Danny's game has risen from a year ago and he's playing some great one pocket, however, I feel that Tony is still a better player but not last night.

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

What a great event overall! While I was rooting for Tony to take it, what a treat. Great one pocket. Last week I bought the 90 day pass, and I already got my money's worth IMO. Thanks Ray! Keep em comin :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Danny's game has risen from a year ago and he's playing some great one pocket, however, I feel that Tony is still a better player but not last night.

Dr. Bill
I think that you're right, Bill. Danny appears 100% committed in every game. He's all business, and has a high determination to win.

Tony is loaded with talent, natural ability and imagination. He has an uncommon courage at the table, and a laid back attitude, which allow him to shoot shots that other guys might not, when faced with a sell-out possibility. That's a tremendous advantage which is necessary to beat today's high talent players.

In contrast to Smith, Tony does not have a natural killer instinct. He wins many matches by simply overwhelming his opponent with talent. I believe that he's always seen himself as part of a group: an affable guy who just happens to be an unusually outstanding pool player.

I don't know if a killer instinct can be developed once reaching adulthood. But Tony might just be good enough to be an enduring champion.

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think that you're right, Bill. Danny appears 100% committed in every game. He's all business, and has a high determination to win.

Tony is loaded with talent, natural ability and imagination. He has an uncommon courage at the table, and a laid back attitude, which allow him to shoot shots that other guys might not, when faced with a sell-out possibility. That's a tremendous advantage which is necessary to beat today's high talent players.

In contrast to Smith, Tony does not have a natural killer instinct. He wins many matches by simply overwhelming his opponent with talent. I believe that he's always seen himself as part of a group: an affable guy who just happens to be an unusually outstanding pool player.

I don't know if a killer instinct can be developed once reaching adulthood. But Tony might just be good enough to be an enduring champion.

~Doc

Your perspective is "spot on" not only about his ability as a player but also about his care free attitude when at the table and yes again..he doesn't have a killer instinct. Your post is a very good understanding about Tony's ability and what makes him as great as a player that he is, and what is missing from his game.;)

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Your perspective is "spot on" not only about his ability as a player but also about his care free attitude when at the table and yes again..he doesn't have a killer instinct. Your post is a very good understanding about Tony's ability and what makes him as great as a player that he is, and what is missing from his game.;)

Dr. Bill

By the way, both players played excellent and if you watched the match closely and listened to the expert commentary (Scott Rabon) then you have walked away from the match a better player with possibly a new perspective on how to play many shots that you may have been puzzled with before watching and listening to what Scott had to say. Scott is a very intelligent player who plays excellent one pocket and has a great feel for the game, we're lucky to have someone like Scott commentating most of these matches to give us a good understanding on many of the situations that go seemingly unnoticed. Not to mention that he's a "trooper" sticking in there as long as it takes to do the commentary on sets that take over eight to ten hours.

I enjoyed the match immensely and enjoyed Scott as well, Josh also did an excellent job when he was in the booth adding another perspective to the match, great work guy's, you too Ray.

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Anybody know the outcome of the Roberts/Owen match last night at Lacy's?

I think it was set for 6 on top for a slab of cheese.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Some great one pocket in New Orleans this week. Thanks to all that attended or supported the event by watching the stream. The event was well attended and everyone had a great time.

Mark your calendars for the Memorial Day event at Buffalo's.$5,000 added One Pocket $2,000 entry, 16 man field, race to five. Last event's Calcutta: $49,900.

Dates: May 26-29, 2016.

Where: Buffalo's Billiards, Address: 3624 Airline Dr, Metairie, LA 70001
Phone:(504) 836-0590

1andDone

Verified Member
From
Ocean Springs, MS
Danny beat Justin 7-3.

Justin was not himself in this tournament... at least he was below what I have seen of him previously. He won his first match against Cliff, but played sub-par after that.

I was listening in (ok, eavesdropping) on a conversation taking place right behind me between Justin and someone I don't know. From the way Justin was talking, I think he expected to win this tournament with only half trying. According to what he said, though he has lost to Danny a time or two in the past, Danny could not hang with him because of his banking ability. Well, it doesn't matter, as Justin found out, how good you bank if you don't ever get to bank anything!
By what I heard in the conversation, I think Justin was just way overconfident, and when he found out he needed to try a little harder, just didn't have the heart to do it. That's the way I saw it...
The guys with heart are gracious when they lose. Josh, Tony, Danny, they all spoke highly of each other, not to say the others did not, I just didn't hear them, except for Justin who gives the impression that he is bored out of his mind if he's awake.

While standing outside during a smoke break, Josh was actually giving strategy advice to Dennis! Josh explained to Dennis why he lost the matches he lost. At first, Dennis thought Josh was feeding him a pile of scat, but then realized Josh was telling him the truth! That was an interesting conversation, to say the least!
Danny is a good friend of mine, so I will always be in his corner at these events. The more I get to know Josh Roberts, the more I'm liking him both as a player and as a person as well. He seems to be a stand up guy and as I was sitting next to him during the Smith/Hall match, I could hear some of his commentary on the stream.
I was there for only the first and third days of the event, so I was unable to see the finals. I saw some really good one pocket while I was there, and missed some while I was absent!