Saw this situation come up today :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I stopped by a poolroom today, sans cue, due to a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder (I am right handed). So I watched a little One Pocket between two 1P.org members, and this situation came up -- approximately. I am not sure of the exact ball count, and cannot vouch for every single ball placement, but this is reasonably close.

This turned out bad for player A -- of course it does look bad. But I thought player A played the wrong shot anyway :D No-one is "on" any scratches, and player A could not see the 1-ball.

What do you do?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1BYNq4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PLAL3Qcpt4Rcxt2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Player A is in a very bad spot. There's almost no place to go where B can't make the 8 ball, and if A makes him go rail first at it, all the rest is bad news. He has to take a short scratch and roll on the 14 or the 2. I think the 14 is the one to get behind - go to the short rail first. Whatever happens next can't be any worse.

Trust me. How do you think I got where I am today? :rolleyes:

Skin

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I stopped by a poolroom today, sans cue, due to a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder (I am right handed). So I watched a little One Pocket between two 1P.org members, and this situation came up -- approximately. I am not sure of the exact ball count, and cannot vouch for every single ball placement, but this is reasonably close.

This turned out bad for player A -- of course it does look bad. But I thought player A played the wrong shot anyway :D No-one is "on" any scratches, and player A could not see the 1-ball.

What do you do?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1BYNq4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PLAL3Qcpt4Rcxt2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

I might try this if I can get by the 1 ball. But I don't like it at all. Otherwise, I'd try to figure out a good foul safety because everything else I see is even riskier.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1BYNq4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PLAL3Qcpt4Rcxt4cXxH4cWKj4cUfV1kLAL1kWBj4kYmq4kadL2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
i would just roll up on the 2 and try to make sure both balls lay on the rail. problem is your still in a trap. This situation came up about 2 weeks ago, almost the EXACT situation. I never got out of the trap.

senor

Verified Member
Maybe this. Should keep us alive for a couple of innings, and may even set us up to put our man in a trap the next inning.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1BYNq4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PLAL3Qcpt4Rcxt1iInD1iGCB1kLAL1kHhm1kFUQ2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
senor said:
Maybe this. Should keep us alive for a couple of innings, and may even set us up to put our man in a trap the next inning.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1BYNq4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PLAL3Qcpt4Rcxt1iInD1iGCB1kLAL1kHhm1kFUQ2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Senor,

This is exactly what I was going to post myself.

I think this is the easiest shot to execute although it may not accomplish very much in improving your situation. It just gives your opponent an opportunity to mess up and give you a way out.

Dudley

If I were feeling defensively aggressive I might try this but I would only shoot this on really tight pockets(page1) I also might try a mini curve shot depending on the exact leave of the cue ball and my comfort with the slide on the table It is hard to say without the exact shot sitting in front of me.(page 2)

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1BYNq4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PLAL3Qcpt4Rcxt4cXxH4cWCa1kLAL1kLxk4kbqY4kasw4kbjG4kadW2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@4AbUd1BYNq4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PLAL3Qcpt4Rcxt3plwa4cXxH4cWCa1kLAL5kOaU4kbaF4kasx4kbbG4katQzc2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ2uAQR@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
senor said:

YEP, THATS THE ONE.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
First of all - this is a tough spot, but, we've all been in a lot worse spots...

Secondly, with all due respect, Rod, Dud, and senor...I don't think your shot works - I don't see any way for it to improve your situation - it will just get you in worse trouble = shoot that shot and all your opponent has to do is shoot the 14 over to his long rail and leave you right there frozen on the bottom rail and you're still in big trouble...or worse yet he can one-rail into the bottom of the 2 ball and leave you snookered/trapped behind it.

Instead, as my wei table below displays, I would just roll softly up against the outside of the 2ball, the cueball ending up parallel to the 2ball, and having the 2ball softly touch the rail...also making sure not to leave a window for him to see/shoot the 8 ball...the reasons for choosing this shot, and my plan being...

#1. From here he can't, with a legal hit, tightly snooker me behind a ball, and...

#2. I'm trying to tempt him to either shoot the 10 - 8 combination or cut the 12 ball towards the 8 and his pocket...or...

#3. If he elects to just touch the 2 and the long rail and leave me right there because he's happy to have the 1 ball snookering me from seeing his 8 ball, that's part of my plan also...if he does that, then on my shot I will shoot the 10 ball into the 8, hoping to clear them both out, and stun-draw the cueball over into the 3 and 5 ball area...this shot would be a huge improvement over the trap I was in previously.

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1BYNq4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PLAL3Qcpt4Rcxt1VYNq1VcPq1VcPq1Vcor1kLAL1kWqr2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
rail first .... freeze onto the back uptable side of the two ... take the hickey

rail first .... freeze onto the back uptable side of the two ... take the hickey

NH Steve said:

What do you do?

A scratch in time may save whatever ... I would rather eat a bug than take a scratch.

The ten-eight tickie looms LARGE (and with sweet shape if it goes) if the clown is allowed to see the ten ball. If you get locked up on the 14 again ... o well .... the sucker plays real good ... get some weight or pull up.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
OPG,

Is this your desired result?

Dudley

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1Basn4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PXHq3Qcpt4Rcxt2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

beatle

Verified Member
if i cant masse into the eight then i would just knock the two over by my side and leave him on the rail where he cant see to make the eight. i dont want to leave another ball close to the cue ball here as it gives him another way to lock me up. or even knock the 14 away and leave him a triple combo to the eight. i would rather he shot than sew me up some more. there is alot of room there for him to miss the rail first eight if he goes for it.

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
I don't think your shot works - I don't see any way for it to improve your situation - it will just get you in worse trouble = shoot that shot and all your opponent has to do is shoot the 14 over to his long rail and leave you right there frozen on the bottom rail and you're still in big trouble...or worse yet he can one-rail into the bottom of the 2 ball and leave you snookered/trapped behind it.

I think whichever ball is decided to be hit first, 2 ball or 14 ball, we are not dead. Plenty of opportunity to double or triple our opponent up on the 8 ball. If he happens to kick it in, well that's tough to stop.

I didn't explain this in my first post, because I feel like I get long-winded, but part of the master plan of getting back behind the 14 is so that the most logical shot for our opponent is to try to slide beneath the two. If our opponent happens to freeze us or be close enough not to do anything with the two, it's not a big deal, because I think we could dink and duck enough to maybe afford another opportunity to try to salvage the game with a high percentage shot or move.

But if our opponent gets a little careless and does not get us real close to the two ball, he has made a huge mistake and we could negate his position like this or something like this:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1BXok4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PbKE3Qcpt4Rcxt1VXok3VCHW3VXnD3aCoq3aEEo3aSih1kbKE1kaEA1kMfm1kJUa2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

senor

Verified Member
It seems that in all likelihood the next two or three moves, in no particular order, are going to involve the 2 and 14 balls. If we get put in a spot like OPG is describing, I think we just move the 14 and triple him up on the 8. Then our opponent would likely try to get up on or behind the 2 again. I think eventually, if we can successfully dink and duck, we could afford ourselves an opportunity to make a move with the 2 ball towards our hole and still successfully double or triple our opponent up.

In this scenario I really think six is a half dozen. Doesn't matter too much which way you go, but I would try to manage the game so I could move the two towards my hole and still leave opponent tripled up.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1Basn4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NIfD3OTqK1PXHq3Qcpt4Rcxt1iIfD2ibKI2iTQM1kXHq1kLIE1kCbk2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Uncle Dave is correct, in that you can't let the guy see the 10 ball. There are too many things he might do with some combination of the 10-8, and maybe get the cue ball around the 13 at the same time. :eek:

senor

Verified Member
vapros said:
Uncle Dave is correct, in that you can't let the guy see the 10 ball. There are too many things he might do with some combination of the 10-8, and maybe get the cue ball around the 13 at the same time. :eek:

I don't think the typical player would shoot the 10-8 from near the bottom rail. If the cue ball were more near the center of the table, then it could be a viable option, but not from the bottom rail.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
beatle said:
if i cant masse into the eight then i would just knock the two over by my side and leave him on the rail where he cant see to make the eight. i dont want to leave another ball close to the cue ball here as it gives him another way to lock me up.
I agree with some type of shot on the 2-- like banking it and leaving the cue ball on the rail. That takes away the possibility of the opponent simply rolling up behind a ball.

B's return shot would probably be to come off the 12 to try to put whitey behind the stack on A's side. At least "A" might get a little breathing room next.

The problem is of course that most of the balls on the table favor B's pocket. Even if "A" knocks the 8 away, "B" still has easy banks. "A" is in a bad scrape, but it's not hopeless. Not in one-pocket...;)

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Kick shot

Kick shot

One pocket Smittys' kick shot isn't bad,
Smitty said:
My 2nd choice would to try something like pg.2. Let him try the shot on the rail or that combo. If he screws it up , I'm on the plus side.

One pocket Smittys' kick shot isn't bad. It may get as safe as most of us are aiming for.
Rod.
PS, Of course if you make you're back to square one.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbUd1BYNq4CBib3DDXG3EAMQ3FCoq4GRNK4HXxH3IKxG4JUse4KTyK1LOlB3MEfD1NInD3OTqK1PKrL3Qcpt4Rcxt1iInD3icAw1kKrL1kKCp1kJEP2qQtFPlayer_A_to_shoot&&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]