A Little Vid of Hoppe at Bensingers

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
This video looks like a young Jean Balukas with Luther Lassiter standing around.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRzJooTka50[/ame]

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Lenny,

Having watched these and then some of the OTR vids that have links to these, I have to say that you really do a great job of producing your vids. The quality is outstanding. We are indeed fortunate to have someone like you doing this important job of documenting and producing the pool of our time. Imagine how neat it would be if we could go to you tube and watch some of the players back in history that we've all heard about and maybe seen stills of but who predated movies. Great job and thank you.

Pete

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Those tables are not from Bensingers. That may have been at the Navy Pier tourney in the 40s. Hoppe is giving an exhibition here, it is not a real match.

Beard
Hey Freddy, here is a link with the article from the 1940 match in Bensingers, it says that it took place at [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bensinger's S. Wabash Ave, Chicago IL. April, 1940[/FONT].
http://www.3cushion.com/1940%20World.htm

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Well from the info I have it started at Randolph, went to Monroe St., after those it went to Wabash and then back to Randolph, after that Diversey and Broadway, looks to be a ton of history, I will dig some of the stuff up. I posted the article below, I do not know about what happened to Bensingers after what the article wrote.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I copied and pasted this article, interesting read.

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Billiard Hall To Close and Move North- "The Room," the oldest continuous, established floating studio in the history of American billiards- cushions, straight rail, caroms, Kelly, bottle, snooker, take your choice, men- will close tonight at midnight.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The Room," of course, as all good Chicago cueists know, is the second floor billiards establishment operated by Norman E. Bensinger at 29 E. Randolph st. since it shifted locus operandi from its fames base at 131 S. Wabash av. The latter address was the scene of numerous world championship competitions among such stars as Willie Hoppe, Jake Schaefer, Welker Cochran, Johnny Layton, Ralph Greenleaf, and Willie Mosconi.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"This is no obituary notice," said the 73 year old Bensinger yesterday, as he announced, "The Room will go on forever. Sure we'll be back. That fire next door on July 2 is the reason for our closing up Thursday night. It'll probably take until thanksgiving, but The Room will be busy again at its new location on the lower level of the Rienzi building, at Diversey and Broadway."[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It'll be 4th Home- The new north side location will mark the fourth in a series of homes for "The Room," begun 56 years ago by the late Louis A. Bensinger, father of Norman, who began the loop billiards dynasty by opening his first establishment upstairs of Henrici's Restaurant on Randolph street.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bensinger Pere's pioneering efforts flourished so prosperously in the years from 1905 to 1908 that he moved "The Room" from the Henrici locale to 73 W. Monroe st. Another venture of the enterprising Bensingers was leasing of Musey's famed billiard rooms at 67 W. Madison st. But it was at the 73 W. Monroe st. address that our town's cue and ivory devotees enjoyed their own games and the championship stroking of Hoppe the Younger and his peers of those days, Jake Schaefer Sr., Maurice Vignaux, George Sutton, Alfredo de Oro, George Slosson, and Ora Morningstar.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mosconi Make Debut- The Room achieved the biggest chunk of its long success when it was opened October 28, 1929 by Norman Bensinger on the fourth floor of the building at 131 S. Wabash av. Here the young Willie Mosconi, greatest of the pockets artists, made his debut in 1931 against such of his elders as Ralph Greenleaf, Erwin Rudolph, and Andrew Ponzi.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here the peerless Hoppe collapsed with a fever of 104 degrees during a challenge match against Jake Schaefer Jr., spent days in St. Lukes hospital, then returned to win 13 matches running and his umpteenth world three cushion title.[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Wabash avenue room was abandoned in May of 1948, and moved on to the 29 W. Randolph st. address. The Bensingers have made the Randolph street establishment a Loop landmark for billiards and bowling since October 2, 1911. In the last 13 years, the Randolph street location has carried on the Bensinger tradition of providing modern facilities for the ancient pastime and for numerous exhibitions by Willie Hoppe in the twilight of his career and by Willie Mosconi after he retired as the undefeated world champion of pocket billiards.[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The new north side home of the Room will boast 30 tables, 28 of them survivors of the 13 year stand at 29 W. Randolph. "So shed no tears, fellas," Bensinger said yesterda as he prepared to hang up his cue at Randolph Street, "The Room will be back."

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
The more I study the more I am certain that Chicago was probably the biggest pool place on the planet in its time or ever, was there any place with more rooms?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The 20s

The 20s

The more I study the more I am certain that Chicago was probably the biggest pool place on the planet in its time or ever, was there any place with more rooms?

Firstly, I dont know any Guy Bentivegna. To start with, Bentivegna is not my real family name. My grandfather changed it when he came here from Sicily. He came to Chicago on a revenge voyage(vendetta) in the 1880's and he wanted to be anonymous.
Secondly, in the 20s there was at least 50 poolrooms in the downtown area (The Loop) with 30 tables or more. Bensingers at its height, had 9 rooms in the Loop.

Beard

the 29 W Randolph location at one time had five floors of action. One floor for bowling, one floor for pool, one floor for snooker, one floor for Billiards, and one floor for exhibitions. There was an elevator.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Firstly, I dont know any Guy Bentivegna. To start with, Bentivegna is not my real family name. My grandfather changed it when he came here from Sicily. He came to Chicago on a revenge voyage(vendetta) in the 1880's and he wanted to be anonymous.
Secondly, in the 20s there was at least 50 poolrooms in the downtown area (The Loop) with 30 tables or more. Bensingers at its height, had 9 rooms in the Loop.

Beard

the 29 W Randolph location at one time had five floors of action. One floor for bowling, one floor for pool, one floor for snooker, one floor for Billiards, and one floor for exhibitions. There was an elevator.
Okay just curious, saw a Guy Bentivegna on the list of people who owned poolrooms in Chicago during the 20's.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
5000 rooms

5000 rooms

I am very amazed at the over 600 rooms in Chicago during the late 20's. Check this link out. :eek:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...2735,-87.661972&spn=0.36785,0.593948&t=h&z=11

Those 600, were rooms of note. There was actually about 5000 rooms going if you counted the smaller rooms. On the old South Side, even to my memory, there were many blocks with three rooms on the same block. One on each corner and one in the middle.

The House of Champions on 51st and Indiana, where Youngblood hung out, had a pool room directly across the street where Eddie Taylor often stayed when he was in town. He had a room above the poolroom.

Beard

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Those 600, were rooms of note. There was actually about 5000 rooms going if you counted the smaller rooms. On the old South Side, even to my memory, there were many blocks with three rooms on the same block. One on each corner and one in the middle.

The House of Champions on 51st and Indiana, where Youngblood hung out, had a pool room directly across the street where Eddie Taylor often stayed when he was in town. He had a room above the poolroom.

Beard
I guess Chicago was the biggest pool kingdom ever then, I wonder what other places had as many rooms or close to it, maybe NY had a good deal of rooms but 5000 would be tough to top, even the 600+ that were listed is alot.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest

This was a thread I started a while back, that had that 5000 room figure in it too.

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2885&h

Hmmmm... I only got one reply to that thread:( And that was from our old buddy Doc. Weird how some guys that posted all the time and really seemed to like this place, suddenly just disappeared from here. Anyone hear from him anymore?

markgriffin

Verified Member
5,000 pool rooms

5,000 pool rooms

I have heard the number of 4,000 pool rooms in NYC back 'in the day'.

Chicago was where Brunswick had a lot of influence- as well as other billiard related companies.

I could believe the 5,000 number.

A few years ago I went to Seoul, Korea. There wre rooms everywhere. Mostly in upper floors of high rise buildings. Often, a building would have more than one room!

Average room was half pool & half Billiards. I am guessing average probably 10 tables or less.

I was told there were close to 10,000 rooms in Seoul.

Times in the US were much different back around 1930's. (btw, I was not around back then -lol)

Mark griffin