Pics of The Beard?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The Beard and other notables at the Childress Tournament back in the day. (Think this is Bill Porter's photo.)

i recognize freddy
and i think its ronnie and grady between the shooter and freddy
who is shooting and the 2 other onlookers??
thanks

Jimmy B

Verified Member
i recognize freddy
and i think its ronnie and grady between the shooter and freddy
who is shooting and the 2 other onlookers??
thanks

I remember that picture. It was in Grady's book, Bet High. The shooter is a fellow named 'Shoes' The fellow on the far left whose head you can't see is Mizerak. The fellow behind Shoes is a guy from NY and Grady didn't recall his name or the gent over to the right. The Beard said it was one of his all time fav pics.

tsk7878

Verified Member
From
chicago,il
shoes

shoes

the guy shooting is "round lake Mike Gamboni" also known as "shoes". I brought a shortstop to beach park for some action. After we watched Shoes run rack after rack giving up the 8 for 20 a game against a good player, we snuck out of there. it was a diner named Helen's, open all night

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I remember that picture. It was in Grady's book, Bet High. The shooter is a fellow named 'Shoes' The fellow on the far left whose head you can't see is Mizerak. The fellow behind Shoes is a guy from NY and Grady didn't recall his name or the gent over to the right. The Beard said it was one of his all time fav pics.

the guy shooting is "round lake Mike Gamboni" also known as "shoes". I brought a shortstop to beach park for some action. After we watched Shoes run rack after rack giving up the 8 for 20 a game against a good player, we snuck out of there. it was a diner named Helen's, open all night

thanks..:)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

"Shoes" was alot sharper than most people gave him credit for, He hung around the right spots and had one of the "BEST" lemon moves in golf!

He start aiming with his feet at a 45 degree angle to the right of the fairway straight ahead! Then He would keep shuffling his feet, counter clock wise till He was facing straight down the fairway, then He would release a wallop. Maybe this is also why they called him "Shoes," He came out of them every time He hit a shot!

He hung around a golf course where many of, "The Boys," do I have to elaborate, hung around and gambled pretty HIGH! If you didn't know the people, and they weren't the right people. You couldn't get down, and if you did, you might NOT get paid if you win! Fortunately for me, when I played gambled there, I made sure I was there with someone that NO ONE would dare question! When I'm sure some of these, "Boys" are gone, (for good), I tell a few tales from my days hanging around there.

I just remembered what made Mike so tough on that course also, the Par 3's were really tough. The shortest Par 3 was,185 yards, up to about 240 yards, and well trapped. He was even money to play those 4 holes in either even or 1 or 2 under!

Last edited:

spiderwebcomm

Verified Member
It would be nice if anybody who has pics of Freddy would share them.

...especially pics of him with some of his many notable friends in pool.

...most especially if there's a story to go with the pic.

Thanks in advance!

pj
chgo

(Thanks to SacTown Tom for already doing this.)

Pat - didn't you live in the same town as the beard or close to? You never got any pics with him? I know I would have for sure.
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Pat - didn't you live in the same town as the beard or close to? You never got any pics with him? I know I would have for sure.
Dave
I live on the north side of Chicago; he lived on the south side (Bridgeport neighborhood). I used to see him almost every day at Chris's when I played there (more than 7 years ago), but I don't think we ever spoke.

I'm not a collector, so it didn't occur to me that I was missing an opportunity. Woulda been nice, now that I think of it...

pj
chgo

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Freddie pic

Freddie pic

Here is a pic from Derby City a few years back. I believe this is the year Artie and I played a 14 1/2 hour session. Freddie would not sweat the match.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Thanks to everybody for great pics!

To show how sincerely I mean that, I'm stealing all of them. :)

pj
chgo