Using a jump stick

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I agree with what you are saying, but one question that comes up is if a guy has two cues. Maybe one is his playing cue which is an LD shaft, and he just has another full cue that jumps better. Now, could he use that cue in the middle of a match to jump over the edge of a ball under the one pocket rules? Maybe the question is, what is a jump cue exactly. A short cue, so all normal length cues would qualify?

This is where making the distinction of ..what is an illegal cue gets clouded. Technically an illegal cue (or equipment) would be a cue specifically designed to jump balls with, not only in length but also in the weight of the cue. There are cues that are 55" in length but their actual weight is 12oz. or less. Take Robin Bells jumping cues for an example.

It would be difficult and a bit unfair if we were to put restrictions on players that would force them to use their playing cue to execute all shots throughout their entire match. Then there wouldn't be "break cues" allowed. However, I think "jump cues" are in their own category as an illegal piece of equipment when it comes to one pocket. Using jump cues in one pocket is attacking the integrity of the game, imo, and i'm safe to assume that many others see it the same way. Jump cues playing one pocket..are you kidding me.:frus:sorry

Dr. Bill

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
This is where making the distinction of ..what is an illegal cue gets clouded. Technically an illegal cue (or equipment) would be a cue specifically designed to jump balls with, not only in length but also in the weight of the cue. There are cues that are 55" in length but their actual weight is 12oz. or less. Take Robin Bells jumping cues for an example.

It would be difficult and a bit unfair if we were to put restrictions on players that would force them to use their playing cue to execute all shots throughout their entire match. Then there wouldn't be "break cues" allowed. However, I think "jump cues" are in their own category as an illegal piece of equipment when it comes to one pocket. Using jump cues in one pocket is attacking the integrity of the game, imo, and i'm safe to assume that many others see it the same way. Jump cues playing one pocket..are you kidding me.:frus:sorry

Dr. Bill

A guy I was playing was using ear buds to listen to music while he was playing. He's shooting away and hooks himself--HOOKS HIMSELF. He deftly sticks his cue in a pocket so that the pocket sort of held it at attention while he reaches for his jump cue. All the while I am protesting at first mildly but eventually to the top of my lungs without him even hearing me. I had to tap him on the shoulder to tell him that no jump cues were allowed in One Pocket. He argued with me and said "they" do it all the time. I unscrewed. I think its rude to listen to headphones while playing anyway. Kind of like using you phone while playing. The jump cue was just frosting on the cake.