Rank of one pocket players who post here?

keoneyo

Verified Member
If i'm reading this correctly (maybe not) are you looking to accommodate Wayne and travel to Ca. to play him? That would also be a good match to stream. Maybe Lenny or Ray Hanson would be interested in streaming it and charging a reasonable fee to watch it, I believe this match up would create a lot of interest (west vs south) Then maybe the Hacker can get into the mix. Of course since you all will be close to Phoenix maybe you can visit with Bernie.;)

Dr. Bill

Billy LA is home to the film industry. We got our own guys who can stream it.
POV Pool for one. Or streaming Andy Chen.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I love how you simplify things Dr. Bill. I wish I had a teleportation machine so I could match up with everyone. I never get a chance to travel much. It would be nice if they could bring back the US Open 1 pocket in Vegas.

I usually play in Santa Monica but I played the Hard Times Bellflower tournament yesterday because I had word that Efren was going to play in it. Instead he went to Santa Monica to play. Oh well, I won the tournament (I would have been playing for second place if Efren had showed).

I went to Santa Monica today because I heard Efren might be back but no such luck (or maybe I was lucky he wasn't there).

Frank Almanza plays strong one pocket. He pockets balls so well he is a threat to win any game.

I challenge Hacker or John Brumback if they are ever in the Los Angeles area or within a few hundred miles. Maybe something like 4 races to 5 for $500 a set over a two day period. Same goes for Bernie if he ever wants to head this way.

Same goes for anyone wishing to move up a tier.

Wayne

I would love to play you sometime Wayne. I would play you ahead set though 6 or 8 ahead. I don't do multiple races in one pocket. In 2002 Myself and Monster John played for 3 days at Hollywood Billiards. I wanted to play ahead and he wanted to play races to 4 for $ 1000 a set. We ended up playing races. First night I win 2 sets and he wins 2 sets. Second night I win 2 sets and he wins 2 sets. Third night he wins first 2 sets and Im leading 3 to 0 3rd set. He says hes got 1 game. Me and his own backers tell him he's wrong. I won the set and he quit.... Net result.. 11 sets played.. Me ahead 11 games overall and down 1 set!! I was beating him bad the sets I won and he kept beating me double hill. I lost 9 out of 11 flips for the break each set. Thats why I don't flip coins either. So it will have to be ahead sets for me.:D

bstroud

Verified Member
An interesting senario.

I wouldn't know how to rate my game currently.

I played Bernie three sessions this past January on his pet table at Kolby's.

I won the first time six games in a row.

The second time I think Bernie won by one game.

The third time Bernie won by two or three games.

Bernie is a real Gentleman to play with and we could play forever without a misunderstanding.

After that I quit playing until about a month ago because I needed to take care of a sick wife and a sick dog.

During the layoff I did a great deal of thinking about my game and the problems I had been having with Modern conditions (fast napless cloth, tight pockets, and different balls).

I decided to change my stroke completely from what I had grown up with.
I had done this once before when I was playing a lot of English Snooker on the full sized table so it hasn't been too difficult.

The main difference has to been to switch to a straight back and straight thru stroke. Long straightins to small pockets are much easier and bring a lot of confidence.

Played one session with the new stroke. Gave 12 to 5 and the break. Ran 2- 10's, 1-9 and numerous 8's. Banks were less good. Will work on them. Broke even. My customer shoots at everything and if he makes it he gets out. Anyone that gives up big spots knows this is the hardest kind of player to beat.

The real difference in one pocket players is Fire Power. Most good players know enough moves to win. You can only beat the best players by running balls.

Fire Power is what I believe in.

Bill S.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I would love to play you sometime Wayne. I would play you ahead set though 6 or 8 ahead. I don't do multiple races in one pocket. In 2002 Myself and Monster John played for 3 days at Hollywood Billiards. I wanted to play ahead and he wanted to play races to 4 for $ 1000 a set. We ended up playing races. First night I win 2 sets and he wins 2 sets. Second night I win 2 sets and he wins 2 sets. Third night he wins first 2 sets and Im leading 3 to 0 3rd set. He says hes got 1 game. Me and his own backers tell him he's wrong. I won the set and he quit.... Net result.. 11 sets played.. Me ahead 11 games overall and down 1 set!! I was beating him bad the sets I won and he kept beating me double hill. I lost 9 out of 11 flips for the break each set. Thats why I don't flip coins either. So it will have to be ahead sets for me.:D

Well that's where the tier system gets broken down. According to your math the game could've gone for months before a decision was made. It goes with stamina, health, and a division of time.
I don't know you but I can say for Wayne he does have a job that he has to go to everyday. Running a business is all consuming.
He also is raising a 5 year old grandson and is responsible for his well being. That means babysitting on a daily basis. I am doing the same myself and know I can pick up a stick maybe 2 X a week if Im lucky.
Ill let him speak about his own health but he is no spring chicken.
Ahead sets are for the young so that is why Im thinking he offered short sets.
Would really like to see you match up with him soon though.
With respect.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
An interesting senario.

I wouldn't know how to rate my game currently.

I played Bernie three sessions this past January on his pet table at Kolby's.

I won the first time six games in a row.

The second time I think Bernie won by one game.

The third time Bernie won by two or three games.

Bernie is a real Gentleman to play with and we could play forever without a misunderstanding.

After that I quit playing until about a month ago because I needed to take care of a sick wife and a sick dog.

During the layoff I did a great deal of thinking about my game and the problems I had been having with Modern conditions (fast napless cloth, tight pockets, and different balls).

I decided to change my stroke completely from what I had grown up with.
I had done this once before when I was playing a lot of English Snooker on the full sized table so it hasn't been too difficult.

The main difference has to been to switch to a straight back and straight thru stroke. Long straightins to small pockets are much easier and bring a lot of confidence.

Played one session with the new stroke. Gave 12 to 5 and the break. Ran 2- 10's, 1-9 and numerous 8's. Banks were less good. Will work on them. Broke even. My customer shoots at everything and if he makes it he gets out. Anyone that gives up big spots knows this is the hardest kind of player to beat.

The real difference in one pocket players is Fire Power. Most good players know enough moves to win. You can only beat the best players by running balls.

Fire Power is what I believe in.

Bill S.

Running g all those balls is quite a feat, maybe we will invite you to the next "Make It Happen " event.:D

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Mike was a great guy. We played $ 100 a game one pocket at hollywood billiards about 9 or 10 years ago. I beat him 6 games.
As far as my rating goes on his site Doc its real simple. If im playing pool everyday I think I will beat everyone on the site. The problem is I usually never play. Pool down here is depressing. The last 6 years I have hit pool balls an average of an hour 1 time out of every 2 or 3 weeks so what you have been seeing is a guy without all his weapons sharpened. I havent played MY one pocket game in at least 8 years because since I never play I cannot shoot shots I would definitely make. I have to opt for a "move" when I would normally fire something in and run out. I have alot of negative thoughts that go through my head when i play these days which causes me to miss shots. That being said I did play last thursday against Slava the russian guy who was with us at buffalos. We played 9 ball races to 7. I won the 1st set but played bad because of the negative thoughts. I blew up at myself and then I remembered something Buddy Hall told me about 12 years ago that I had not been doing for years. I started doing it the next set and i broke and ran 5 out of 7 racks and played a perfect set. Once Slava saw that he was done. I have a feeling this stone crab just got both his claws back( in other words my entire arsenal) so in other words everyone on this site if ****ed:sorry:D:D:D
Okay, you've got me. WHAT did Buddy Hall tell you???

~Doc

bstroud

Verified Member
Thanks, Billy

That's about the only good news I have had this year.

Probably most people think that at my age of 74 trying to change my game is crazy.

Perhaps it is but I just couldn't stand jawing straight in shots on the small pockets when it made the difference between winning and losing.

I saw the fault was in my stroke (spinning the cue ball) not my heart so I took the necessary steps to correct the problem.

I have to thank TOR for giving me some good ideas to make the transition faster.

Bill S.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John you don't know me but the last time you came to play at HOB you brought a bright light with you. You were so charming and funny. Any pool room would be blessed with the likes of you. Please come again.
Oh yeah and bring that bearded tall drink of water. Hes good for some laughs too.;)

Thank you. I am an animated player if the opposition does not mind and while I love the competition and the action, I am there to have fun.

The worst thing that can happen is you lose a little $$ and a dent in your pride, but I get over that quick and look forward to the next game.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Basically there are four tiers

if anyone is interested in jumping tiers all they need to do is challenge someone in the higher tier. :heh

Dr. Bill

I don't want to go up a tier..:eek:..I want to go down...:heh...

So I hereby challenge Mitch, LSJohn, Bille, Larry, and Dustin/Miller to play $1,000 sets - even...

- Gh:pst

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
ghost

ghost

You might not like that if the race is a race to 4...seems you didn't make many the first 4 games we played at derby...

Just saying

B

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
You might not like that if the race is a race to 4...seems you didn't make many the first 4 games we played at derby...

Just saying

B

Re. playing at the derby...up to this point I've let you chirp several times about that, and being gentleman-like, I never said a thing - didn't mention how your wayward/out of control cueball stopped a mm from scratching twice in the first two games, or you would have lost those 2 games :eek: but now you've gone and finally forced me to mention it...:sorry

Hmmm..a race to 4..where luck could be a deciding factor :rolleyes:...nah, manning up to a race to 10 is the right thing to do - and you can make me not like that...

Just sayin'

G

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
This place needs a ladder. I travel on business and you would be amazed how difficult in some towns (example Las Vegas) to get a game. I have seen and herd it all. All I want is simple dramaless play. Anyone who comes to Vancouver is welcome to drop me a PM. Everything is negotiable and we can always adjust to make up for any mismatch.

Don't get me wrong some places everyone is great. Others you beat such and such for x and the world knows what happened. A ladder would at least give you a starting place for ability and someone to try and make a game with.

I'm probably just dreaming.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I would like to see Bill Stroud and Bernie play some here in Phoenix and would happily stream it for all of you to watch for FREE. Not sure if both would be interested in playing on the Diamond at Kolbys.