What's your choice ?

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Steve......You'll notice in my original post I said that the percentage of making the 3-railer will go down, when, as you said, you have to adjust for speed and english to follow down the rail, rather than shooting the 3-railer straight ahead, having to do nothing to the cueball, and sticking right there where the 3ball was....nobody's picked that option, but I wouldn't rule it out...cuz since as I said in my opening post, the 3-railer is pretty much straight ahead dead on, I think the the likelihood of making the 3-railer would be 20%-30% higher by shooting it straight on and sticking, than by adjusting the hit and following down table.

- Ghost

I agree, the three railer is more difficult to marry the accuracy of the shot, and the speed of both the cue ball and object ball when sending the cue ball up table. But I still think it's the easiest shot to execute and give yourself a chance to win. That two railer is tough to execute for me.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
Had this situation come up awhile back...tough choice...You have pocket A, you need two, your opponent needs one - the 3ball is 1/4" off the rail, the 4ball is frozen on the rail....
If the 3-ball is off the rail, it could probably be banked up and down. Position-wise however, it wouldn't be as good as the 3-railer.

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'm not sure which shot is the best choice, but for all of you that like shooting the 3-railer and following on down...you could hit the 3railer a little off, either too short or too long, and have it come out something like this, giving your opponent a (possibly free) cut shot to get out >>>

- Ghost

PS, And as we all know, the 4 being frozen makes the cut a lot easier than if it was slightly off the rail.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AEoL4BHiL4CNEG2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK1PLos4QdOs@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One Pocket Ghost said:
I'm not sure which shot is the best choice, but for all of you that like shooting the 3-railer and following on down...you could hit the 3railer a little off, either too short or too long, and have it come out something like this, giving your opponent a (possibly free) cut shot to get out >>>

- Ghost

PS, And as we all know, the 4 being frozen makes the cut a lot easier than if it was slightly off the rail.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AEoL4BHiL4CNEG2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK1PLos4QdOs@[/CUETABLE]
ghost you should know weii would not hit it that bad:eek:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Steve......You'll notice in my original post I said that the percentage of making the 3-railer will go down, when, as you said, you have to adjust for speed and english to follow down the rail, rather than shooting the 3-railer straight ahead, having to do nothing to the cueball, and sticking right there where the 3ball was....nobody's picked that option, but I wouldn't rule it out...cuz since as I said in my opening post, the 3-railer is pretty much straight ahead dead on, I think the the likelihood of making the 3-railer would be 20%-30% higher by shooting it straight on and sticking, than by adjusting the hit and following down table.

- Ghost

I am shooting the 3 railer, and following up table...IWNGUOOTEChair..to shoot it and stick. Cole Dixon wouldn't be crazy enough to try and cut the 4 down the rail, if I left him that good...which I wouldn't.:rolleyes:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
If the cue doesnt go far enough up table and the 3 rail leaves the 3 ball bad there is a free 2 railer on the 4 ball.

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AEoL4BHiL4CayO2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK4PVTI4QdOs4WayO4WcNC2WSbk2Wbhy4WYna4WaEd4kVTI4kaJc4kcbt1kTAf@[/CUETABLE]

beatle

Verified Member
ace you want to leave your cue ball nearer to the rail and by the second diamone. this way if you miss the three railer you leave him with no angle for knocking it over his way. plus you get a good angle for your last ball and can move the cue ball to where you can leave him safer when you miss that ball.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
Cole Dixon wouldn't be crazy enough to try and cut the 4 down the rail, if I left him that good

Papie....I have to disagree with you here...if you left Cole, St. Louie Louie, or Keith this cut shot down the rail...THEY'RE SHOOTING IT - AND PROBABLY MAKING IT...if I was playing one of those guys and left him like this, I'd be hoping that he played safe and not shoot the cut - I'd say that these three all-time shot-makers would make this cut shot 8 out of 10 tries...other opinions on the making-it-% of those three champions shooting this cut shot ?

- Ghosty

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One Pocket Ghost said:
Papie....I have to disagree with you here...if you left Cole, St. Louie Louie, or Keith this cut shot down the rail...THEY'RE SHOOTING IT - AND PROBABLY MAKING IT...if I was playing one of those guys and left him like this, I'd be hoping that he played safe and not shoot the cut - I'd say that these three all-time shot-makers would make this cut shot 8 out of 10 tries...other opinions on the making-it-% of those three champions shooting this cut shot ?

- Ghosty

Well, I am considered "weak to the pocket" but when I tried the three-railer on the 3-ball to see how I liked it, I missed and left the three on the bottom rail -- very similar to this diagram. Just for the heck of it I cut away at the 4-ball just that one time, and it slid down the rail just as slick as can be, and with pocket speed, I would not have even sold out in the event of a miss. Bottom line, you don't have to be Cole, or Louie or Keith... (when you are just practicing, lol)

I shot the two rail shot on the 4-ball about ten times. Have to admit I only made it once and hung it nearby on another one or so, but I never really sold out much either -- except maybe once when I hit it way too full. Hitting it a little thin, sends the cue ball a little farther across and back and still came out safe, with two balls now down in my general corner area.

I still like the two-railer on the 4-ball :)

Steve <--- against the grain again

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
NH Steve said:
Well, I am considered "weak to the pocket"

Steve......Just don't be 'weak to your (pants) pocket' if we gamble at the DCC this year...:eek:...:D

NH Steve said:
I still like the two-railer on the 4-ball :)

Steve <--- against the grain again

Stick to your guns Steve!....matter of fact, I think we could have ourselves here, some new shot-challenge combatants for the DCC....Steve, I think you should shoot the 2-railer against the 3-rail shots of beatle, Larry, Smitty, Skin, or Ace, for a few sheckles/pesos at the DCC....:)

- Ghost

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
i will send someone my address to get my spoils of the profits.

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
One pocket Smitty said:
Here is my shot. Ithink this will work.--Smitty[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AEoL4BHiL4CaqN2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK4PVLI4QdOs4WaqN4Wctf2WOCp2WbqD4Wbbq4kVLI4kaaU1kYCX@4AEoL4BHiL4Ccps2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK1PXlV4QdOs2XagA2Xbdq4XcYr1kXlV2kYiK2kYqK2kbeQ1kIfr@[/CUETABLE]

I'll go along with Smitty here, although I might add a bit more follow and then pinch bank the four back to my hole. (I'm working on learning to use the weii right now so maybe later this will be way cooler).

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
play the percentage

play the percentage

One Pocket Ghost said:
Interesting results...Steve and jtompilot would shoot the 2-railer on the 4ball, everybody else so far, chooses the 3-railer with follow...still waiting for opinions from Papie, Freddy, Billy, Dennis, senor, etc.etc.

- The One Holey Ghost
The three railer is too good to pass up. Your close enough to the 3 ball to hit it accurately and also controll the direction and speed of both balls. And as a plus you can win with this shot if you follow it and play good speed with the cue ball. I wouldn't worry about leaving a shot on the 4 ball, and if my opponent decided to shoot the 4 ball and made it, I for sure would have the nuts.;)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
wincardona said:
The three railer is too good to pass up. Your close enough to the 3 ball to hit it accurately and also controll the direction and speed of both balls. And as a plus you can win with this shot if you follow it and play good speed with the cue ball. I wouldn't worry about leaving a shot on the 4 ball, and if my opponent decided to shoot the 4 ball and made it, I for sure would have the nuts.;)

My thoughts exactly Bill...plus he would probably be too busy digging the 3 ball out of the hole...if it didn't go in. :cool:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
If you miss . . .

If you miss . . .

By now most of you know that my glass is usually half empty, so my question, naturally, is this:

Since nobody has claimed, so far, that the three-railer is an even money shot or better, and the two-railer seems to be even less popular, we need to think for a minute about what we would leave for the other player. Is it better to shoot the three-rail shot and leave him a double bank or tough cut on the four ball, or to go with the other shot and leave both balls fairly near each other and fairly near your pocket, and the CB uptable and probably on your side?

By a small margin I go for the two-railer here, even tho I don't hit these very well. How about the rest of you? :rolleyes:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Illegal editing may be your best game !!!

Illegal editing may be your best game !!!

One Pocket Ghost said:
I'm so jealous............:D

Do I sense resentment, that great minds think alike ? This coming from an apparition with NO mind..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: