Frost Warning!

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

This weekend, I had the pleasure and privilege of watching some one-pocket via Lenny’s live stream from Kolby’s Corner.

The segment I happened to catch featured The Freezer behind the mic.

Some of Scott’s comments:

Efren:

“He is Pool’s Ambassador. The greatest player ever. The most knowledgeable. I studied Efren. When he is in the room, my game goes up.”

“Efren used to spot me. I’ve been playing him even since 2007. I beat him the last three times we played.”

(In answer to to a chat room question): “I would love to play Efren some more.”

One-pocket now:

“I took Cliff’s style and upped it. Today’s young players are taking my Power One Pocket style and putting their own spin on it.”

“I love to play (for example) J. J. No disrespect, but he plays so defensively, I never feel in danger of losing a game on one shot.”

“Offense has changed the game. In room after room, one-pocket is more and more popular.”

Professional life:

“My hunger for pool is back.”

“My game is better than it’s ever been. I’m playing better than I’ve ever played in my life. I never used to practice, never felt I needed to. Now I practice all the time. Even cheap money games against lesser players help me improve.”

“I’ll be traveling more to book money games. I’ve had to schedule matches for the past 10 years or so … there’s no more walking into a room and hoping to get a game.”

Personal life:

“My wrist is 100% since the injury. At $6,000 per screw times two screws it came to $12,000 for one of the top surgeons in the state.”

“One-pocket is kind to aging players like Efren. I figure I have 10 more years or so before my eyes start to fade.”

“My girlfriend is graduating on her birthday. I’m moving into a 3200 square foot house with four bedrooms. Life is good.”

Upcoming:

“We have a big tournament this September. It will be the largest-ever one-pocket entry fee - - $10,000 per player. Eight players, with money added. Payouts will be $30,000 for first, then $25,000. Followed by $15,000 and $2,000.”

“Big Truck will live-stream it. Yes, it will be PPV - - get over it. Enjoy some of the best one-pocket players playing for some serious one-pocket money. A bar box tourney will follow.”

Advice to young players:

“Play. Play the best players you can. A lot of them will play you for $20 or $30 a game. Invest a few bucks to learn, even if you lose every game. You can improve only by playing the best players you can. That’s what I did. I played the very best players I could and lost all the time. But … that’s what it took to up my game.”

Matching up:

“I figure out how much I can spot someone by looking for his weaknesses. After just a few minutes of watching a high-stakes game, I can gauge how many balls to give him.”

“For example, Viffer has more gamble than almost any professional pool player. Ever. The key is in watching his money games and then calculating how to match up with him.”

“When top players negotiate terms, everything is in play. Including the table and the pocket sizes. For one-pocket, 4 1/4 is fine, 4 1/8 (Kolby’s) is borderline too tight and anything under 4 is ridiculous.”

On a roll:

“When I’m running balls, I remove the ‘trouble ball’ as soon as I can. Even if it’s a tougher shot. Get it out of the way, it’s the one ball that your opponent can shoot to rescue himself.”

“Walk around the table to visualize the shot. Too many players don’t bother.”

Precise reportage is my life,

Sunny

P. S. The Scott Frost quotations herein may be up to 40% or so accurate.
(In my meager defense, two of my gabby girlfriends, Muffy and Fifi, were over at my house that Saturday, music was blaring, substances were involved.)

But … you can almost certainly take at least 20% of what I’ve penned in this post to the bank.

Provided your bank is in Lagos.

P. P. S. Lenny’s streaming, just as his game, has gotten better and better over the years. He might consider teaming up with Scott and coming out with a DVD or something.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
“We have a big tournament this September. It will be the largest-ever one-pocket entry fee - - $10,000 per player. Eight players, with money added. Payouts will be $30,000 for first, then $25,000. Followed by $15,000 and $2,000.”
I'm pretty sure Frost said that first place will be $40K. Three times your entry fee wouldn't be much of a percentage for winning it. However, I could be wrong.

It was nice reading all the comments gathered together in one place. Cheers.

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Spot on

Spot on

Sunny, you made a very good report about Scott's life as it is today, along with both his playing ability (the way he sees it) and the way he's feeling about his game. I'm assuming that the J.J. comment was true as well, strong statement if it weren't. I know this because just today I had a conversation with him and he mentioned just about every topic you reported, with the exception of the J.J. comment.:D Just maybe reporting could be your life.;)

Dr. Bill

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Yes. I watched Lenny's stream while Scott was commentating for a little while. It was during the Bernie P and Galati match. I heard him talking about this stuff. I came back later and Lenny was playing Galati. Good stream. Appreciate it...

baby huey

Verified Member
I love Scott and I think at one time he was the man playing one pocket. I have to see it to believe it though. I know he had the desire years ago to be the best but I'm not so sure now. He talks a good game but does he walk the game? Funny thing about this game we love, and that is you have to show the goods and win.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
i love scott and i think at one time he was the man playing one pocket. I have to see it to believe it though. I know he had the desire years ago to be the best but i'm not so sure now. He talks a good game but does he walk the game? Funny thing about this game we love, and that is you have to show the goods and win.

Amen Brother! :):):)