One foot on the floor?

8andout

Verified Member
I've seen a lot of contorted positions to get to a shot, but never saw anyone put there foot on top of the rail. This is Alex in his recent match with Frost.

Attachments

• alex.jpg
    alex.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've seen a lot of contorted positions to get to a shot, but never saw anyone put there foot on top of the rail. This is Alex in his recent match with Frost.
Good catch!

One of the things that people have observed about Parica over the years, is how rarely he uses the bridge despite the fact he is only about 5' tall. He uses the ability to shoot alternate handed and his tremendous flexibility to reach many shots that taller shooters would be reaching for the bridge for. I don't know how tall Alex is compared to Parica but Parica is not very tall, so if I had to guess, I would say Alex is taller -- at least now -- maybe Parica used to be taller but he's old enough now to have started shrinking, lol!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hey, y'all ought to come down to New Orleans. I've seen guys 6' 2" crawl up on the table on all fours to shoot a shot they couldn't reach. No one bats an eye...:rolleyes: I don't think anyone has used a bridge there since 1956!:D

Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Hey, y'all ought to come down to New Orleans. I've seen guys 6' 2" crawl up on the table on all fours to shoot a shot they couldn't reach. No one bats an eye...:rolleyes: I don't think anyone has used a bridge there since 1956!:D

Doc

Well I certainly played house rules, so I've lain on the table to shoot about a million times, but I never would get on all fours or let my feet touch a table. There is an art to shooting with your legs in the air, and also an art to being all the way on the table and having to shoot real hard with the cue ball headed right back at ya and being able to get up and off real quick.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Well I certainly played house rules, so I've lain on the table to shoot about a million times, but I never would get on all fours or let my feet touch a table. There is an art to shooting with your legs in the air, and also an art to being all the way on the table and having to shoot real hard with the cue ball headed right back at ya and being able to get up and off real quick.

Back I the 60's it wasn't uncommon to get see people get on the table. I once played a guy that actually got into a yoga position to shoot a shot.

And once a huge guy over 6 feet tall and somewhere near three hundred pounds got up on the table to shoot a shot that required some speed. He missed the shot and had both the object ball and the cue ball running around the table. What a sight to see that huge man rolling around the table trying to avoid the moving balls. How he managed to finally get off the table without a ball hitting him had to be a miracle. There were at least four or five ball rolling all over the table. I'll never forget that sight.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Good catch!

I don't know how tall Alex is compared to Parica but Parica is not very tall, so if I had to guess, I would say Alex is taller -- at least now -- maybe Parica used to be taller but he's old enough now to have started shrinking, lol!

Yeah, us old guys have been beat down a lot. I've never seen Parica , but I saw alex in Galveston. No way he's 5 ft tall. He looks like a little kid. I'll never believe he's not shorter and smaller than Parica.
Rod.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'd say it's very close:D.

View attachment 8111

I'm still going with Parica as the shorter of the two.

Funny, reading some of the old Johnston City coverage you come across banter about who was shorter, 'Boston Shorty' or 'Squirrel'. I might even take Parica against all four of these legendary short players, but you know it would be close :D :D

Attachments

• OnTheTable-web.jpg
    OnTheTable-web.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'm still going with Parica as the shorter of the two.

Funny, reading some of the old Johnston City coverage you come across banter about who was shorter, 'Boston Shorty' or 'Squirrel'. I might even take Parica against all four of these legendary short players, but you know it would be close :D :D

Squirrel and Shorty were Giants compared to these guys. I still say Parica could eat soup off the top of Alex's head. :D
Rod.

ulikastr8pool

Well-Known-Member
From
NYC
This is what you call getting up on the table.

Beard

Great pic. This is the norm down here in New Orleans. When I first moved down here years ago, I'd never played 'getting up on the table' before. And at first, it felt so awkward, so I stuck with the bridge. But, I'd say it's worth close to half a ball if one guy can do it effectively while you're stuck using the rake.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Do you play at Buff's, or over at Jamie's? Haven't heard lately about too much action in NOLA. Is Ronnie Wiseman still camped out there? Buff stopped his action reports a coupla years ago.;)

Doc

RedCard

Verified Member
Hovercraft

Hovercraft

Shorty appears to be levitating in that picture Steve put up. His left foot looks suspect but the rest of him, except for the cigarette which seems to be resisting, is hovering.

Attachments

• BostonShorty.jpg
    BostonShorty.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0