For all the people who read this.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Artie, I remember most all of that. I spent my entire childhood doing short track speed skating in IL and the five surrounding states and NY. Those were the fifties and sixties, where the lakes would freeze. The swamps were perfect for tag and games, and most city parks flooded fields so the locals could skate from three to five months each winter. Riverview amusement park, where I saw the bearded lady and the three eyed cow plus the worlds fastest roller coaster, the Bob's , the shoot the shoots in the wooden tube and the Eisenhower years and when I got four percent interest on the ten dollars I stuck in the bank, wish I could get that now.:frus

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie, I remember most all of that. I spent my entire childhood doing short track speed skating in IL and the five surrounding states and NY. Those were the fifties and sixties, where the lakes would freeze. The swamps were perfect for tag and games, and most city parks flooded fields so the locals could skate from three to five months each winter. Riverview amusement park, where I saw the bearded lady and the three eyed cow plus the worlds fastest roller coaster, the Bob's , the shoot the shoots in the wooden tube and the Eisenhower years and when I got four percent interest on the ten dollars I stuck in the bank, wish I could get that now.:frus

That's were I got fired working on the Bobs for Fat Carl. Collecting second rides. And Fat Carl would be on TV. Saying everybody loves to ride the bobs. And the guys that worked the rides would get all Riverview and spend there money picking up girls. And the roller rink was wright across the Chicago River. On Belmont. Those were some of my exciting days.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
That's were I got fired working on the Bobs for Fat Carl. Collecting second rides. And Fat Carl would be on TV. Saying everybody loves to ride the bobs. And the guys that worked the rides would get all Riverview and spend there money picking up girls. And the roller rink was wright across the Chicago River. On Belmont. Those were some of my exciting days.

Yep, my dad played for the Black Hawks farm team before WWII and then got me on the ice as a child. I used to deliver papers as a kid, and hung out at the RR station on Sunday mornings where we would stuff the Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times. Since the Sunday papers were approx. 3lbs each, we got to ride in station wagons on Sundays to hand deliver our route. Bob's big boy burgers and their Strawberry whipped cream pie YUM....when my parents were dating, they used to go to Russell's barbecue off North Avenue.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Yep, my dad played for the Black Hawks farm team before WWII and then got me on the ice as a child. I used to deliver papers as a kid, and hung out at the RR station on Sunday mornings where we would stuff the Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times. Since the Sunday papers were approx. 3lbs each, we got to ride in station wagons on Sundays to hand deliver our route. Bob's big boy burgers and their Strawberry whipped cream pie YUM....when my parents were dating, they used to go to Russell's barbecue off North Avenue.
That's great the Chicago black Hawks had some great hockey teams. With Bobby Hall Stan Nikita Keith Magnuson. I remember when they would pay you so much for a pound of newspaper and a pound of steel it was ant much but it adds up.

I remember in the winter time I would shovel the snow on the school basket ball court. So I could practice shooting basket ball. And that was in grammar school. We even one the Mayor Daily's youth foundation championship.

WE all got trophies and we got to shake major Daily's hand. And they but our picture in the Chicago Tribune. This was the father major Daily The Democratic Machine. And I use to rack the whole baseball infield at Hamlton park. Damon near Belmont.

And I use to play on the pony league team out at wild wood. Near Thillens little league park. We one the City champion ship out at Wild would. I loved Baseball and basket ball. I loved my baseball glove. I would oil it up and But a ball in the glove over night to make a good Pocket.

And I would sleep with`my baseball glove next to me. And I took care of all my toys bike and sports equipment. Because My mother would tell me whatever I wanted to buy. She would tell me to earn the money and then I could buy it.

I never waysted any money when I was young. Because of my up bringing. We respected our parents. Weather they were Wright or wrong. And no back talking.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
One of my best friends, the Danahers lived next door to the Daleys, across the street from the fire dept just a few blocks from the old White Sox stadium. Matt Danaher was a judge that did allot deeds for the 1st mayor Daly but died a young man (50's) from bleeding ulcers (stress).
To put this in another perspective. When I was a kid, we lived up in Wis. on a lake for the 90 days of summer. On the 4th of July the Danahers (lived down shore from us) brought up to the lake fireworks from the Sox Ballpark, now those were the best. This year the fourth happened to be on the weekend. So here I am on their pier when I see the Racine county cops walking down, I split. Well....the next door neighbors son/idiot just kept on. The cops busted em, and took em to jail. Well I heard Matt say to his wife Joan, ''CALL BLACKIE''. That was his personal lawyer, they got the kid out of jail NOW. Matt said to me after that, if your EVER in the city of Chicago and you get a traffic ticket, just call me within three days, I never had to make that call.

Hans

Chicago, 1963

Chicago, 1963

Artie may remember some of the names and places,

I used to play out of a small neighborhood Pool Hall called "Breems" the owners name was Drex, he used to be on the road with Ralph Greenleaf in his day, Drex tought me a lot about playing, mostly offensive, this may have served me well for this particular game i played.

I was playing at Breems one Friday night when suddenly three guys from the old "Throttle Kings" car club came into Breems and came over to the table I was playing on and demanded that I come with them to Paul Sang's "Circus Club" which was a corner tavern on Belmont a block west of California, I was 19 years old, I hesitated about going when two of the guys grabbed me and said your'e going, you see, there was this guy playing at the Circus Club who was beating everyone there, so the locals decided to get me, to play him.

I was a little scared when we walked in, the placed was packed, didn't know the guy at the table, all kinds of side bets going on, i didn't have to pay for anything, i just had to play and beat him, which i did 3 games in a row and he and his backers took off.

Everybody was patting me on the back, they bought me drinks, i declined alcohol, didn't want to get the bar into trouble if Cops came in to check ID's, i gave my wallet to one of the older guys that carried me out of Breems.

Don't know exactly what i learned, if anything, but i will never forget how it felt to win that particular night, i didn't make a dime, didn't care either, that night i was a winner and that's all that mattered.

Hans

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
johnston city 1970

johnston city 1970

Actually I have a number of exciting games I once played, most of them were in Johnston city in the fall of 1970. I had just knocked either Cole Dickson or Boston Shorty to the losers bracket and was to play the winner of Luther Lassiter and Irving Crane. I watched their match from the stands and watched in amazement as Crane ran seven straight racks on Lassiter after game one of the match. Crane won the match 11 to 3 and never missed a ball. Our match was the next night at Janscos' showbar. Irving won the first break and proceeded to run the first rack but got out of line on the nine ball (unusual). Irving elected to play safe and left me hanging in the corner pocket with the nine opposite end of the table. I softly banked the nine to the same corner I was shooting from and made it, the crowd acknowledged it with a huge roar. I broke and ran 3 straight racks on him and closed out the match a 11 to 7 winner. Neither one of us ever missed a ball. Irving crane was the classiest player I have ever played in my short time in the pool world and one of the greatest players that has ever lived. I treasure the match with him as much as any I have ever played, but I had some other matches with the great players of my time in 1970. Ronnie Allen, Cole Dickson, Luther Lassiter, Boston Shorty, etc. I just wish they were alive today so I could shoot the bull with them. I did talk with Cole Dickson about a year before he passed away, we were good friends and roomed together a few days at Johnston City

Texdance

I have always been a banger, but during the early and mid-70s and some years later I had the good fortune to see some of the better players in Fort Worth and North Texas. Utley Puckett, white-haired and wearing his hat and holding court, would stop by The Golden Nugget often, and his protégé of that time was Frank 'Bird' Thompson, who was a first rate young nine-baller.

I like to keep Frank's name alive and out there, because unfortunately 'Bird' died very young of cancer. He was a student of the game, loved 9-ball, and had a side-arm stroke that was wonderful to watch. Back then shafts were changing, and Bird was so proud of his new shaft - it was 13.75 mm, I think he believed the extra diameter was an advantage compared to say, 12.5mm or 13mm shafts.

Bird was a great guy, about the same age as another local player named Dick Lane, who went on to a nice pool career . The only photo I ever had of Bird was when he beat out Lane in some tournament in Texas, and in the photo they were both shaggy hippy types, and Lane looked like he could use a bath. Bird's death at such a young age was a real loss to pool, he could have been a great one. His contemporary Dick Lane was in and out of pool for years, amassing a record of pool wins that got him highlighted in Texas Monthly as "the Shootist", and apparently made big bucks as an early investor in Clicks Billiards. The Lane article is here:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/content/shootist?fullpage=1

Anyway, later about 1986-7-8 I played in a tournament at a huge brand new bowling alley in Wichita Falls. It was supposed to have a million dollars worth of steel in the roof alone, and boy was it a neat place. This pool event was its first, designed to bring in a lot of players, especially locals, and there were few real serious pool players entered. As I recall eventually UJ Puckett won, he could still beat all the little guys, or maybe it was the much younger Sparky Webb, who could play pretty sporty himself. I forget exactly who won.

As for me, I won my first and second rounds, then lost to my old acquaintance 'The Greek', and after losing I disappeared from pool mostly forever. But I was hopeful to make some good in this event, and my first opponent was going down as I was beating him for the last game making me 5-4 winner. After I pocketed the nine to win the set (or so I thought), my opponent jumped up and said "Well that makes us even!!"

Being a real naïve guy when it came to pool, I realized it was either a fist fight, or a shouting match which I could not win, or rack 'em up for my next break and take my chances. So I racked the balls, then broke the rack, and wouldn't you know the nine casually rolled over and dropped into a side pocket. Take that, ha ha. No argument now, win, set and match for me. I looked at the guy and said "We're not even any more". He gave me a disgusted looked and walked away.

My other little event was a Sunday night bar tourney, the kind that gets ten players and pays a hundred bucks to the winner and every body else gets nothing. I breezed through the winners side. The same middle-aged Fort Worth pool player and gambler who later beat me in Wichita Falls, whom we called "the Greek", was sitting with me, cheerleading and giving me verbal support. So of course I had a long wait for the winner of the losers bracket to come to play. I was not too serious, and I lost that first game of the final match. Now I suddenly realized that hundred bucks (which I had already pocketed, at least in my imagination) was not a sure thing at all. One more loss and I was going home out of the money.

In the final and deciding game of 8-ball I ran down to the eight but my position on the eight was terrible. Opponents balls were blocking me all around. The eight was close to the short rail, about the first diamond, my cue ball at the second diamond up the long rail on the other side of the table. The natural straight-in corner pocket for the eight was covered by two opposing balls, it was too close to the foot rail to cross-bank into the other foot rail corner.

So I called my shot, then banked the eight, one rail all the way the length of the table, with the cue coming across the table and hitting the eight across its face, like a cross-over bank shot in one-pocket. The eight fell right into the center of the corner pocket all the way down table. It went in easy and natural. I was happy - it was a planned shot, not a luck shot, but I could not repeat it three of ten times for any amount.

The locals were pretty mad about this shot, there were grumblings about 'hustler" - me ever being any sort of a hustler was the most ridiculous thing ever, but they did not know that. Anyway I quickly took my hundred bucks and blasted out the door and sped out of the parking lot. Of course The Greek, the old gambler, had a nose for trouble, and he was at the door and out quick too - I suppose he saw I was coming out fast and had a good lead on the locals, so he was not waiting around for anything.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I have always been a banger, but during the early and mid-70s and some years later I had the good fortune to see some of the better players in Fort Worth and North Texas. Utley Puckett, white-haired and wearing his hat and holding court, would stop by The Golden Nugget often, and his protégé of that time was Frank 'Bird' Thompson, who was a first rate young nine-baller.

I like to keep Frank's name alive and out there, because unfortunately 'Bird' died very young of cancer. He was a student of the game, loved 9-ball, and had a side-arm stroke that was wonderful to watch. Back then shafts were changing, and Bird was so proud of his new shaft - it was 13.75 mm, I think he believed the extra diameter was an advantage compared to say, 12.5mm or 13mm shafts.

Bird was a great guy, about the same age as another local player named Dick Lane, who went on to a nice pool career . The only photo I ever had of Bird was when he beat out Lane in some tournament in Texas, and in the photo they were both shaggy hippy types, and Lane looked like he could use a bath. Bird's death at such a young age was a real loss to pool, he could have been a great one. His contemporary Dick Lane was in and out of pool for years, amassing a record of pool wins that got him highlighted in Texas Monthly as "the Shootist", and apparently made big bucks as an early investor in Clicks Billiards. The Lane article is here:

Anyway, later about 1986-7-8 I played in a tournament at a huge brand new bowling alley in Wichita Falls. It was supposed to have a million dollars worth of steel in the roof alone, and boy was it a neat place. This pool event was its first, designed to bring in a lot of players, especially locals, and there were few real serious pool players entered. As I recall eventually UJ Puckett won, he could still beat all the little guys, or maybe it was the much younger Sparky Webb, who could play pretty sporty himself. I forget exactly who won.

As for me, I won my first and second rounds, then lost to my old acquaintance 'The Greek', and after losing I disappeared from pool mostly forever. But I was hopeful to make some good in this event, and my first opponent was going down as I was beating him for the last game making me 5-4 winner. After I pocketed the nine to win the set (or so I thought), my opponent jumped up and said "Well that makes us even!!"

Being a real naïve guy when it came to pool, I realized it was either a fist fight, or a shouting match which I could not win, or rack 'em up for my next break and take my chances. So I racked the balls, then broke the rack, and wouldn't you know the nine casually rolled over and dropped into a side pocket. Take that, ha ha. No argument now, win, set and match for me. I looked at the guy and said "We're not even any more". He gave me a disgusted looked and walked away.

My other little event was a Sunday night bar tourney, the kind that gets ten players and pays a hundred bucks to the winner and every body else gets nothing. I breezed through the winners side. The same middle-aged Fort Worth pool player and gambler who later beat me in Wichita Falls, whom we called "the Greek", was sitting with me, cheerleading and giving me verbal support. So of course I had a long wait for the winner of the losers bracket to come to play. I was not too serious, and I lost that first game of the final match. Now I suddenly realized that hundred bucks (which I had already pocketed, at least in my imagination) was not a sure thing at all. One more loss and I was going home out of the money.

In the final and deciding game of 8-ball I ran down to the eight but my position on the eight was terrible. Opponents balls were blocking me all around. The eight was close to the short rail, about the first diamond, my cue ball at the second diamond up the long rail on the other side of the table. The natural straight-in corner pocket for the eight was covered by two opposing balls, it was too close to the foot rail to cross-bank into the other foot rail corner.

So I called my shot, then banked the eight, one rail all the way the length of the table, with the cue coming across the table and hitting the eight across its face, like a cross-over bank shot in one-pocket. The eight fell right into the center of the corner pocket all the way down table. It went in easy and natural. I was happy - it was a planned shot, not a luck shot, but I could not repeat it three of ten times for any amount.

The locals were pretty mad about this shot, there were grumblings about 'hustler" - me ever being any sort of a hustler was the most ridiculous thing ever, but they did not know that. Anyway I quickly took my hundred bucks and blasted out the door and sped out of the parking lot. Of course The Greek, the old gambler, had a nose for trouble, and he was at the door and out quick too - I suppose he saw I was coming out fast and had a good lead on the locals, so he was not waiting around for anything.

GREAT story TEX!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
"Psycho Mike" and Me!

"Psycho Mike" and Me!

One of the most unusual games I ever made with someone was with a guy that hung around Chicago in the summer time so He could go to and bet the “Cub” games. He was gypsy guy we all called, “Gypsy Mike.” or "Psycho Mike" was what you might call, a manager of a “working girl.” Mike was ALWAYS kept in BIG money.

Gypsy mike was one of those kinds of guys that just refuse to WIN, no matter how much the best of it he had! Whether it was betting sports, cards, playing pool or billiards. I’m not saying He was completely helpless, he could run 2 or 3 balls playing 1 hole and in 3Cushion, He could run, 2 or 3 on rare occasions!

One day, when the Cubs were at home, one of the regular, “Bleacher Bums” that hung out at Bensinngers tip me off that, Mike had made a BIG score at the Ball park that day, and he was, “Fat as a Watertown Hen!” Previous to that day Mike and I had played many different proposition games on the 3C table. Finally I had to come with something this time SO outrageous to get him play for more than our normal $25 or $50 a game since I knew he had about $2,000.00 on him!

Now , Mike was a really flamboyant guy, flashy dresser and a little loud. He like the to be on, "center stage." If he made a pool game, he always wanted to play on table 13, this was the "action" 5'x10' in front of the lunch counter. And when we played 3 cushion, He wanted to be on table 7, right in front of the bar. He loved to have ALL the "rail birds" watching! Now that I think about it, Bensingers was the ONLY poolroom I was in that had a "Lunch counter", Full bar" and LEGAL "Card room," back in those days! I traveled quite a bit from, 67-80 and can't remember any other room that had all those amenities.

I knew the game I came up with, He wouldn't think of refusing to play. We always played short, games 10 points, He figured He had a better chance that way. I told him, “I’m going to play you 3 point games, a better game for you Mike, and all you have to do is make your 3 points the normal way, 3 cushion, 4 cushions, 5cus… And I have to make ALL my points 5 cushions or more! And we lag after each game for the break. But, since I’m giving you a MUCH better game, you have to bet a hundred a game!” He couldn’t pull the money out fast enough!

What nobody knew, except Artie, I had this planned for a while, I would come in very early in the morning, Artie owned Bensingers then, when the only person that was there was, Kennedy, the clean up guy. I was practicing making the “Break Shot” 5 cushion, because really, that’s the ONLY way I could win at the game, that’s also why I put in the lag for the break!

Anyway, 3 points can go by awfully quick, especially if I run 2 or 3 off the break, or He did. He played for about 3 hrs, and I gave Mike $200.00 walking money, so his old lady could get back to working at the Hilton downtown!

This was definitely one for the books!

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Good story! I recognize the name Frank Thompson from Bill Porter & Mike Haines' pool photos from the 80's. Here are a couple, and there are several more for sure. If you are not familiar with their photos you would really enjoy browsing anyway. Bill Porter's site is here: http://billporter.smugmug.com/Pool

Frank 'Bird' Thompson

Dick Lane shooting as Frank 'Bird' Thompson watches

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Dick was a real good player, especially, "straight pool." He hung around Chicago for a few months and played some of the TOP straight pool players and fared pretty good. The only players he didn't beat, I think were guys like, Tommy Spencer, Marshall Bolter, Wendell Weir, I'm don't remember Artie playing him. Real nice guy too!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
2003 I decided to go to the DCC. I was working steady and had saved enough money to have a little bankroll. Plane fare in those days was cheap and staying with friends was an additional plus. I did pretty well in the banks and one pocket, much better than I ever thought I would. John Brumbeck knocked me out of both tournaments.
In those days the tournament was in Louisville which in my opinion, is where any
"Derby" event should be played. They had set up bleachers and betting options were posted so people in the stands could wager. Parika would two, that type of thing. It was wide open. I didn't play the nine ball because I owed some time to my host. At the end of the tournament at night, it was a free for all with gambling. Some guy from Cincinnati ask me to play for $200 a game and I said yes. I was really full of my self. After three or four hours I was up three games and he said, let's play for $500. In my head, right then, I knew I had stepped into it with both feet. No, can't do it. He proceeded to shoot lights out the next three games to get even. I gratefully quit.
What I did next was one of the biggest blunders of my career, I asked Max Erbele to play without knowing him or his ability. Thankfully he declined and saved me some dough.
A month later I had my accident and my pool life changed.

baby huey

Verified Member
It's 1970 and I am at Mr. Pockets in LA and a young guy walks in looking for a game. I play him $30/game one pocket and I am drilling him. After about 3 hours his stake horse comes in and i realize that if this stake horse is my room, I am in a bad game. Fortunately for me they had to leave and I won 5 games. The young player was Keith Thompson from Pasadena Texas. He was known back then as "young squirrel." About a year later Hawaiian Brian and I made it to Houston and we reconnected and I can say Keith was a great player and a gentleman. His brother player pretty sporty as well. Brian and I went on to win some nice money on that road trip. I hadn't remembered the event until I saw some of keith's postings here on one pocket.org. Keith if you remember our game please acknowledge. My nickname back than was Baby Huey......still is actually. I beat the Johnson City champ. Boy was I lucky.

baby huey

Verified Member
Post script to the above story: Hawaiian Brian was involved in the best pool game I ever saw. He played a guy from the Le Que by the name of Jack Terry. was a book maker I think. He played pretty good nine ball and they played $50/game nine ball and the match lasted almost 3 straight days. Brian played on the natural only drinking coffee and soda. We won over $3000 and Jack paid us in $50 dollar bills. We were so tired after that match that we slept for 2 days and it took another week for us to fully recover.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Post script to the above story: Hawaiian Brian was involved in the best pool game I ever saw. He played a guy from the Le Que by the name of Jack Terry. was a book maker I think. He played pretty good nine ball and they played $50/game nine ball and the match lasted almost 3 straight days. Brian played on the natural only drinking coffee and soda. We won over $3000 and Jack paid us in $50 dollar bills. We were so tired after that match that we slept for 2 days and it took another week for us to fully recover.

Jack was a good player (not a bookmaker). I believe he was from Buffalo N.Y.
He won a lot of money from Greg Stevens on the 3rd and 4th day. He was getting the 7 ball. He was an old road partner of Danny Jones.
Rod.

bstroud

Verified Member
First played Jack Terry at the Haskell pool room in Dallas.

He was traveling with Danny Jones.

Danny played another player in the pool room named Howard.

I must have been 16 or 17. Jack and I broke even playing 9 ball.

Haskell was great pool room with a rack man and one of the old Coke machines filled with cold water and the small Cokes.

Moon was played on the Domino tables. Bar-b-cue joint next door was great.

Vernon Litton also hung in the room.

Great times.

Bill S.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
It's GREAT to reminisce of the times gone by, good or bad they are all memories to share. I ENCOURAGE ANYONE that has any memories they have, to SHARE them with ALL of us.

This IS ALL that will be left for most of us when We're gone! I feel the future players NEED to know how the cue games, started and have evolved to it's current status, what ever that may be!

ALL the professional authors, reporters and public publications have done a GREAT job preserving the games history! But, many of the fascinating stories we ALL have TO TELL, don't make it into theses publications. That's why this is a GREAT thread on a GREAT site to help preserve OUR stories for posterity!

LET US ALL, TELL OUR STORIES, HERE!

BTW, ALL the stories so far are, GREAT!