Legal One Pocket Break

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
I have a question about the break. What is the criteria for a legal one pocket break? How many balls have to hit a rail and does the cue ball have to hit a rail as well? I have heard different answers from different players. I have seen some players go rail first on the break and bury the cue ball into the rack while driving maybe one ball to a rail. Is that a legal break?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
thebigdog said:
I have a question about the break. What is the criteria for a legal one pocket break? How many balls have to hit a rail and does the cue ball have to hit a rail as well? I have heard different answers from different players. I have seen some players go rail first on the break and bury the cue ball into the rack while driving maybe one ball to a rail. Is that a legal break?
According to traditional rules, as well as the overwhelming majority here on OnePocket.org, for a legal break either at least one object ball or the cue ball must hit a rail after contacting the rack -- or an object ball must go into a pocket.

Take a look at this discussion here:
http://onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130

According to the BCA, it's otherwise -- but fuggedabout their rules -- to be blunt, they can't even spell One Pocket :) :)

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
NH Steve said:
According to traditional rules, as well as the overwhelming majority here on OnePocket.org, for a legal break either at least one object ball or the cue ball must hit a rail after contacting the rack -- or an object ball must go into a pocket.

Take a look at this discussion here:
http://onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130

According to the BCA, it's otherwise -- but fuggedabout their rules -- to be blunt, they can't even spell One Pocket :) :)
So the rail first break is legal so long as one ball makes it to a rail after contact?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
thebigdog said:

Bigdog,

Where do you play in SF? If you haven't already-- get to know Gene Miller: lowleft@aol.com He runs lots of tournaments at the SF and Peninsula rooms. He knows all the players since he's been in the scene there since the 60's. Tell him you know me --Art "Doc" Tripp-- and that you're interested in one pocket, and get some suggestions from him. He'd be able to match you up with other guys who are just learning onehole.

Go over to Family Billiards on Geary and introduce yourself to the owner, Delbert Wong. There should be some one hole action in there. One of the best 1P players today --Billy Palmer-- plays in SF.

Good luck!

Doc

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Bigdog,

Where do you play in SF? If you haven't already-- get to know Gene Miller: lowleft@aol.com He runs lots of tournaments at the SF and Peninsula rooms. He knows all the players since he's been in the scene there since the 60's. Tell him you know me --Art "Doc" Tripp-- and that you're interested in one pocket, and get some suggestions from him. He'd be able to match you up with other guys who are just learning onehole.

Go over to Family Billiards on Geary and introduce yourself to the owner, Delbert Wong. There should be some one hole action in there. One of the best 1P players today --Billy Palmer-- plays in SF.

Good luck!

Doc
I play at Family Billiards regularly, and I know Gene Miller and Billy Palmer. Although there is regular one pocket action at Family it is more advanced than my game. I usually play one pocket at Brocken Rack in Emeryville, One Pocket is the preferred game there and there is cheap action for all speeds. I play Gonzo sometimes at Family we play $5 a game, cheap lessons for sure.
I am just learning to think one pocket and trying to learn the moves, right now I am relying on my shooting ability to keep me in the game and I know that I need to learn how to move because these veteran players know I can shoot and bank and they leave me nothing.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
thebigdog said:
So the rail first break is legal so long as one ball makes it to a rail after contact?
By traditional play it is indeed legal -- but there are regional variations where you will find the locals disagree. The idea of the Rules page here on OnePocket.org is to create a uniform standard. That's why we've been having some of these discussion here on the forum. After the little points of contention seem to be settled, the OnePocket.org members will have a chance to vote on the whole package, to see if we are ready to adopt these rules as 'Official'.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
thebigdog said:
I play at Family Billiards regularly, and I know Gene Miller and Billy Palmer. Although there is regular one pocket action at Family it is more advanced than my game. I usually play one pocket at Brocken Rack in Emeryville, One Pocket is the preferred game there and there is cheap action for all speeds. I play Gonzo sometimes at Family we play $5 a game, cheap lessons for sure.

Bigdog,

Well it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Does Gonzo still whine and rag on himself? He's a funny guy-- I always liked him. Please say hello to Gene Miller for me. Gene has put a ton of time, effort, and dedication into pool in SF. Without him I doubt that the tournament opportunities y'all have would exist. Did Phillipino Gene ever quit drinkin'?

Doc

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Bigdog,

Well it sounds like you're doing the right thing. Does Gonzo still whine and rag on himself? He's a funny guy-- I always liked him. Please say hello to Gene Miller for me. Gene has put a ton of time, effort, and dedication into pool in SF. Without him I doubt that the tournament opportunities y'all have would exist. Did Phillipino Gene ever quit drinkin'?

Doc
I will do that, Gene runs about 3-4 tournaments weekly in the area, he is a real good guy. Gonzo is the same. As for Philipino Gene, he still likes his budweiser from what I can tell.

James Nelson

Verified Member
The One Pocket Break

The One Pocket Break

It all depends on where you play and the pool hall you play at. When a group of friends and I went on the road, I must have had to break five different ways because of house rules, and the way they played One Pocket. The cue to the rail and one ball, Two balls to the rail, but the cue ball does not have to hit a rail, The cue ball and two balls two the rail, one ball to the rail, ECT... So it all depends on where you play. Just always remember to ask, because you could end up owning a ball for a careless action.

KevinMcLaughlin

Bay Area One Pocket Action

Bay Area One Pocket Action

For some time, the best spots for Bay Area one pocket action have been California Billiards (Fremont) and Broken Rack (Emeryville). CB has new Diamonds and older Gold Crowns (III’s I think), which all play great. BR has two old school Diamonds and a bunch of Olhausens. Nice tables.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Bigdog,

Doc

Gonzo, what a trippy character. He ran into some problems with his family and got deported. The guy had more faces than a mirror looking at itself.

KevinMcLaughlin

Last I heard, Gonzo is in Mexico. As for Filipino Gene, he went back to the Philippines, and he died some 10 years back. Gene Miller is still around and running tournaments at Billiard Palacade, Broken Rack, and at his favorite haunt, Happy Lounge bar on Geary. He’s doing great!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Last I heard, Gonzo is in Mexico. As for Filipino Gene, he went back to the Philippines, and he died some 10 years back. Gene Miller is still around and running tournaments at Billiard Palacade, Broken Rack, and at his favorite haunt, Happy Lounge bar on Geary. He’s doing great!
Not surprised about Filipino Gene. With his lifestyle, I'm surprised he made it that long. I'd heard he went back to the Philippines-- basically to live his final years.

Gene Miller is a helluva good guy. A little strange, but that's San Francisco. Gene didn't own a car. Traveled by bicycle. Tournament pool in SF would have been unimaginable without Gene. That's funny about Happy Lounge Bar. I don't think Gene even drinks, does he? Maybe it's a gay bar.

~Doc