Shots, Moves, & Strategies

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
To all,

I'm so happy that the copy of this book finally arrived today that I'd like to shout it to the world.It's brand new and also signed by Eddie Robin. I've seen the pictures of my hero in it, and I will be reading it all weekend. Test on monday. Forget the test idea. Nobody even tried to figure out the New Member test. Except SJD. Boise, Idaho. Yeah right.

Dennis

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
To all,

I'm so happy that the copy of this book finally arrived today that I'd like to shout it to the world.It's brand new and also signed by Eddie Robin. I've seen the pictures of my hero in it, and I will be reading it all weekend. Test on monday. Forget the test idea. Nobody even tried to figure out the New Member test. Except SJD. Boise, Idaho. Yeah right.

Dennis

Dennis, Please be aware that I was only in my late teens when SM&S was published.
Also note, a major typo below my photo on page 32.(true story) It should read '77 not '57. Hair like that in '57, would have gotten a guy killed where I used to hang.

Dick <---Wifey sent Eddie Robin several photos of me...that should NOT have been one of them.
I am actually a cross between Redford and Newman in the looks department. JMHO ( for Fanatic's younger sister's information only) ;)

PS. ( Thats George Redford, and Fred Newman, the busboys at my favorite eatery.)

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
is there a new edition out? where can you get it and how much?

lll,

No there is not a new edition out. So you can't get it. And I'm embarrassed to say how much I paid for it. I thought only the Gutenberg Bible was worth that much. First edition of course.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Dennis, Please be aware that I was only in my late teens when SM&S was published.
Also note, a major typo below my photo on page 32.(true story) It should read '77 not '57. Hair like that in '57, would have gotten a guy killed where I used to hang.

QUOTE]

SJD, Whoever you are,

Shots, Moves, and Strategies was published in 1996 from what I understand. The latest in your teens that you could have been would be 19. That would make you 32 yrs. old. But you say the picture should have read '77' and not '57'. That would be 19 years before the book was published. That would make you 51 years old. One year older than me. Which is it SJD, whoever you are? Are you 51 or 32? Don't lie to us.

Dennis

Fanatic

Verified Member
Dennis i would love to own that book I'm so curious to know whats in it .It's said to go anywhere from 400-800 for it but maybe with this terrible economy it would be cheaper. I know that a couple of states have it in the public library so maybe when I have a chance I'll see if I can take it out. Enjoy it . Hey do you own Winning one-pocket too? Please whatever the cost let me know if it was worth the money

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Fanatic said:
Dennis i would love to own that book I'm so curious to know whats in it .It's said to go anywhere from 400-800 for it but maybe with this terrible economy it would be cheaper. I know that a couple of states have it in the public library so maybe when I have a chance I'll see if I can take it out. Enjoy it . Hey do you own Winning one-pocket too? Please whatever the cost let me know if it was worth the money

Fanatic,

I have not looked through it enough to give you a definitive idea of the book. But it is full of diagrams of wonderful shots pulled off by many of the greatest 1P players ever. And the short stories of how those shots came about. I'll evaluate it again on the weekend.

It was under $400 and it is a new edition, signed by Eddie Robin, the author. I don't own 'Winning One-Pocket". Yet.

Dennis

Fanatic

Verified Member
Dennis,I believe there were two printings of this book 1st and 2nd edition. the 1st edition is more expensive because it was 1st, but the second is supposedly better because it has all the errors from the first printing corrected. So what do you mean by a "new edition". I personally was under the impression that the book was much older than 1996, if you look on the first page where it says the editing details next to copyright it should tell you the first original printing year.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Fanatic said:
Dennis,I believe there were two printings of this book 1st and 2nd edition. the 1st edition is more expensive because it was 1st, but the second is supposedly better because it has all the errors from the first printing corrected. So what do you mean by a "new edition". I personally was under the impression that the book was much older than 1996, if you look on the first page where it says the editing details next to copyright it should tell you the first original printing year.

Fanatic,

Everything I read about this book before I bought it lead me to believe it was published in 1996. But I do not know for sure. This particular edition says "first edition" and also "copyright Eddie Robin, 1996". I certainly am not an expert in anything except spending money.
What I meant by "new" was that the book was listed as "new". Meaning not used. It appears as new as if it rolled off the line today. The people I bought it from have put a clear plastic dust cover on it to protect it. It is a fine looking book and I feel good about finally getting it.

Dennis

Fanatic

Verified Member
If it is as mint as you say it is and a 1st edition---You got a bargain for under $400 in my opinion; just remember the errors I hear there are quite a few

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Fanatic said:
If it is as mint as you say it is and a 1st edition---You got a bargain for under $400 in my opinion; just remember the errors I hear there are quite a few
Eddy Robin a great pool player
The wrong things people wrote about Eddy Robin that was not write. It should be hard to believe any one with so much knowledgeable would never be a top player. I talked to him in the health store and he wants me to say the truth I know about him in Chicago in 1965 or 1964 when he was there. He beat top players and would play anybody almost anything. He declined not to run in the hall of fame voting. Because he played a very short time and then stopped He stopped playing when he got real good And he did not even reach his real potential.. When Eddy got to Las Vegas he Quite playing in 1964 or 1965. And he did not get real good until his last year playing pool in Chicago. He Played World Class Nine Ball One Pocket And good three cushion billiards .And he did not play real good until almost quit playing three cushion also. I saw him when I was learning how to play he played at they Howard and Paulina Billiards And he beat everyone at Howard and Paulina in all games. I got very good AFTER Eddy left Chicago and VERY good later and did not ever play him. And I no Eddy Robin played any body straight pool and nine ball and one pocket and beat EVERY one that did play him pool in Chicago and he did lose at three cushion then. He would not play Harold Worst or Bud Harris three cushion then NO one would play Eddy nine ball time from after he beat Akins and Canadian Pete and beat Don Willis in nine ball. And no body would play him straight also. Nobody in Chicago Would Have had a chance with Eddie Robin playing straight pool. And He played anyone who wanted to play Nine ball Straight pool One pocket or # cushion billiards. I was Just starting out learning all the games in a pool room. But Eddie was not only a great player. He was also very smart. And His Knowledge in Fundamentals can not be duplicated. He stands by himself on that subject. And New York players did not play bank pool Eddy played other games and beat every one in Chicago that played him the games. the names, Youngblood Washington Mexican Johnny, All Miller. And Boston Shorty did say Bugs told Shorty he would not play Clem or Robin one pocket And Robin said he did not play real good until Chicago. He come from New York hustled pool in Chicago billiard rooms and stopped when got job to play all challengers at the empty Golden Eight Ball billiards by Rush Street to get people in the room and Eddy stopped playing then any were else.. HE said tables there were VERY good and the had heavy and thick slats. and tables were very heavy when he played in Golden eight ball billiards. Edde was at Bensingers one time and did not play because the players that gambled were not there then and he did not want to play on five by ten tables any way with small pockets. He told me he did lose at three cushion to Ralph Keith and Al Fuss and man named Miller and Bill Romaine gave him three maybe four points on 50 points Bill did give him points but never won And that was all in Chicago back then Eddy has not played pool or billiards in a long time and when he tried to again years ago played real bad and stopped. I told Eddy I would tell the truth here. Eddy Was A great Player And He even Played only for a short time. Eddie is a brilliant man and there is no telling how great he could have gotten. If he continued playing all games. I don’t know what happened to Eddy or why he quite playing but I know he was great for that one year.. he is super inteligaint. And He can help anyone who needs help with their game. I don’t know about the tables at golden eight ball because I played very little their. All I know the were 4 by 8 . And I know Charly Green Could realy bank on those tables. I thought I would pos this since It poped into my head. But Eddie was a Stone Killer playing pool then. Sounds Like The Lonsome Dove. It is the wright thing to give Eddie his Day In The Sun.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Eddie was certainly a champion 3-cushion player. He won the National Championship - Billiard Federation of U.S.A. in 1972 and again in 1979.

I've always heard that Eddie was an excellent pool player as well, although a shade under the top players. But Eddie's contributions to one-pocket are his incomparable books on that subject. His own knowledge of the game is impressive enough, but the commentary from his collected group of most of the top one-pocket players of the modern era ranks these books as the definitive treatises on one-pocket to date.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Fanatic said:
there was 2 printings of winning one pocket. i beleive only one printing of shots moves and strategies.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
there was 2 printings of winning one pocket.I believe only one printing of shots moves and strategies.

lll,

You may be right. I googled it and searched several other places and everything I've seen suggests publication in 1996 and only one edition. But I am not the last word on it.

Dennis

Fanatic

Verified Member
Thanks for the correction; now it's my understanding that shots,moves and stratagies is the better between the two books, but whats the difference between them; why is the one better than the other? And if shots,moves and strategies is better why not reprint? Or is this difference a matter of opinion only?
XOXO

Skin

Verified Member
Fanatic said:
Thanks for the correction; now it's my understanding that shots,moves and stratagies is the better between the two books, but whats the difference between them; why is the one better than the other? And if shots,moves and strategies is better why not reprint? Or is this difference a matter of opinion only?
XOXO

In a nutshell, Winning One-Pocket is the better book if you are new to the game and trying to learn it. It contains a lot of very good basic information including a detaild chapter on banking/kicking systems. Shots, Moves, and Strategies is for the person who already knows the game well enough to appreciate finding solutions to one-pocket situations. It consists almost entirely of layouts and options, a lot like what the folks around here do.

Both are excellent books but in my opinion the one thing Robin could have done better was build the subjects of his chapters starting with the simple and then advance in complexity. Instead, easy stuff and hard stuff sems to be all jumbled together, so the job of understanding his subjects is made harder.

JMHO! :)

Skin

mypocket

Verified Member
From
Minnesota
Eddie Robin

Eddie Robin

I had a chance to visit with Eddie a couple of years ago in Vegas. He was working on a new book. I'm surprised it isn't out yet.
Maybe I will email him (if I can find his email address) and ask him how his new book is coming.
He was whooping the kids (19-22 year olds) in racket ball the last time I saw him!

TulsaJohnny

Verified Member
Artie, thanks for setting Eddie Robin's record for us...

Artie, thanks for setting Eddie Robin's record for us...

Artie, I have known of some of the facts about Eddie Robin you have brought up, that nobody would play him in Chicago at one point. But without corroboration from a source with such stature as yours I have not bothered to go against those on this site who seem to want to spread negativity about Eddie. Old time players in Chicago know these legendary things, but have had beefs with him about trivial issues. I don't think interpersonal differences should be allowed to affect a man's reputation.