The tips we use

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just had a tip replaced with what I thought was the same Moori soft I've been using for a while. However, to me this new tip does not play "soft" like I am used to. Have they changed? I'm thinking of trying something (soft) new and if I like it, buying about a half dozen so when I need a new one I will know exactly what is going on my cue. I like the way layered tips last without mushrooming, so anyone have any other layered soft tip suggestions?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I just had a tip replaced with what I thought was the same Moori soft I've been using for a while. However, to me this new tip does not play "soft" like I am used to. Have they changed? I'm thinking of trying something (soft) new and if I like it, buying about a half dozen so when I need a new one I will know exactly what is going on my cue. I like the way layered tips last without mushrooming, so anyone have any other layered soft tip suggestions?

try this one steve
kamui black soft

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas

I've been using the Kamui (black) Super Soft, the Kamui (brown) Soft, and an Elk Master (is there a pattern there?) on different shafts. So far the Super Soft is the winner although not by much over the old-fashioned Elk Master. No mushrooming (ok, seriously reduced mushrooming) is a plus but the jury is out re: whether or not it justifies the enormous cost difference.

When I started out, I didn't think there was anything but LePro tips. Fifteen years later during Come Back #1, I started again with LePro's and used them for several years. I had started experimenting with softer tips and was on my second Elk Master when I difted away (again). For Come Back #2 (20 years after the end of #1) I again started with LePro's (on an old Meucci) but quickly went back to soft tips (and a Schon).

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i am a long time lepro guy also. a couple of years ago i started experimenting with the layered tips and in my opinion, the kamui black medium is the closest thing i have found to the feel of a lepro.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
So far the Super Soft is the winner although not by much over the old-fashioned Elk Master. No mushrooming (ok, seriously reduced mushrooming) is a plus but the jury is out re: whether or not it justifies the enormous cost difference.

how often do you need to change the kamui tips vs the elk master and le pro??
how often do you have to "fiddle "with the mushrooming??
i dont use a kamui i use a tringle tip so i dont know the answer but ive heard the kamui lasts longer and you dont need to shape it as frequently
so for the extra what is it $10-20 dollars isnt it worth it ?
you change it less frequently and dont have to "fiddle "with it???

now kamui chalk is absurd:eek:
imho
icbw

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
how often do you need to change the kamui tips vs the elk master and le pro??
how often do you have to "fiddle "with the mushrooming??
i dont use a kamui i use a tringle tip so i dont know the answer but ive heard the kamui lasts longer and you dont need to shape it as frequently
so for the extra what is it $10-20 dollars isnt it worth it ?
you change it less frequently and dont have to "fiddle "with it???

now kamui chalk is absurd:eek:
imho
icbw

I used to like to fiddle with things, now not so much. I've had the Elk Master & Kamui both on for about three months now and both get played about the same amount. I've trimmed and reshaped the Elk Master twice. The second time was just last week, and I'm thinking a new one goes on next time. The Kamui needed a little reshaping once. I'm one of the pricier kinda guys, always preferring a dime over a nickel, and somewhere along the way the Kamui had dropped about 3 cents worth. Playing one pocket it may last forever.

The Kamui's are about $20 each. The same $20 will get you 50 Elk Masters (or LePros).

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I used to like to fiddle with things, now not so much. I've had the Elk Master & Kamui both on about three months now and both get played about the same amount. I've trimmed and reshaped the Elk Master twice. The second time was just last week, and I'm thinking a new one goes on next time) The Kamui needed a little reshaping once. I'm one of the pricier kinda guys, always preferring a dime over a nickel, and somewhere along the way the Kamui had dropped about 3 cents worth. Playing one pocket it may last forever.

The Kamui's are about $20 each. The same $20 will get you 50 Elk Masters (or LePros).

wow . never realized there was that much difference

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
wow . never realized there was that much difference

I should mention that buying them one at a time, the Elk Masters & LePros are $2.00 ea.

Skin

Verified Member
My last tip was a Moori soft. It mushroomed twice on me and finally chipped at the end of its life. I'm going with one of them there Kamui SS blacks this time to see how I like it. They're not supposed to be made for a low deflection shaft, but I've never let the facts stand in my way of anything pool related. :D

Skin

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Since my Z2+Kamui is currently out of commission(wanna buy a $250 table leg?), here's what I'm currently using and they're playing just fine.. $10 for 12 tips(6 soft/6 hard) shipped and I can swap em out for breaking or whatnot. Soft seems to work fine for 1P. :p

hardtip.jpgsofttip.jpg

If you think those are something, you should see the cue they're on. :eek:

Of course, the case the cue is in has one end held together with duct tape. :D

I think I even won a couple of games with it.. going back for my 1P lessons this weekend. Slowly but surely, I may figure out what the heck I'm doing one of these days.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
My last tip was a Moori soft. It mushroomed twice on me and finally chipped at the end of its life. I'm going with one of them there Kamui SS blacks this time to see how I like it. They're not supposed to be made for a low deflection shaft, but I've never let the facts stand in my way of anything pool related. :D

Skin

skin ive never heard that
kamui and ld shaft get along about as well as sjd and fred???:D
why is that ???:confused:
p.s. what ld shaft do you play with??

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I use a Kamui black medium on my one shaft, my spare shaft has a Kamui black soft because I wanted to give it a go. They both hit a bit harder than they are rated, the soft is more like a medium and the medium is more like a hard.

Skin

Verified Member
skin ive never heard that
kamui and ld shaft get along about as well as sjd and fred???:D
why is that ???:confused:
p.s. what ld shaft do you play with??

(SS) Super Soft - Extraordinarily soft in hardness and gives the least deflection to the cue ball’s path. It works well with a cue with high deflection. The contact time between the cue ball and the tip is the longest of the other hardnesses and the player can convert the momentum into spin with decreased deflection. Suggested for the advanced player on new cloth at a tournament.
MINIMUM RETAIL PRICE $20.75

http://www.kamuitips.com/store/Details.cfm?ProdID=87&category=4

Larry, I use a McD I-shaft 3 (11.75 mm). The guy (Jerry Powers) who holds the patent on them lives around here. I had him make me one when he made my cue. It has a 3/8 in. ferrule. I love it for 1p and 8b. It's not so hot for 9b and 10b, but I hardly play those anymore unless it is a ring game.

Skin

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas

Skin

If it weren't for deflection I would NEVER make a ball.:(

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I play with a Kamui Black Super Soft on a predator 314-2 and have never been happier with my equipment. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the talk about picking your tip based on the amount of deflection.

One thing though,

It does play less lively than other tips (the super soft that is) so if you like to shoot hard table length draw shots the super soft is not the tip for you.

They do draw just fine you just have to work a little harder.

Before the super softs tip I played with le pros and definitely got more powerful juice on my rock.

I find the softer tips to be more forgiving and the best tip for one pocket in my experience.

Dud

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I'm going to try the black SS Kamui next...

Steve,

They are good tips but be aware that they will feel very different then most. If it plays too soft for your taste just take the thickness down a bit. No matter which hardness you get it will play harder the less material it has.

(speaking solely about kamui's as I have the most experience with them... I install about 25 of them a year for myself and others)

If you have exploding or mushrooming issues this is due to poor installation. They do not like to be overheated as it attacks the glue lamination/leather structure.

Hope you like the tip as much as I do. :) I personally probably wouldn't play with a super soft if I didn't play with a predator. (a very juicy hit) I use it to tone down the hit so the english is more manageable. If you have a standard shaft I would typically recommend starting with a Soft. The SS are pretty dead and can make a cue have less action. (unless that is what you are looking for)

Hope this information is helpful on your hunt for a better tip.

They are pricey but they can be worth it but it really depends on your experience. Some people love Kamui's some people think they are way overpriced. I have been playing with them for over 3 years and haven't looked back.

Dud

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
I'm going to try the black SS Kamui next...

Atta boy, Steve. A walk on the wild side! There's nothing like hitting a long-distance, ultra-low speed, ultra-high spin cb accurately when you need to. :)

Skin

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
bump for an old thread.....

bump for an old thread.....

although interesting and fun to discuss, I really don't get too caught up on what kind of cues, shafts, joints, wraps, etc. good players use....

the one thing I am interested in, however, are what kind of tips players have installed on their cues. have heard a lot recently about the G2 (have one, haven't installed it yet) and ki-tech (sp?) tips, fake moori/real moori, etc...

I am hitting with a kamui brown hard right now (since after DCC). I think it feels like a kamui black medium without glazing over, holds shape (about a nickel radius), lightly rough it up about every 12 - 16 hours, and to me plays like the old lepros....but still softer than a triangle....

curious, what tip are you playing with?

:)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
although interesting and fun to discuss, I really don't get too caught up on what kind of cues, shafts, joints, wraps, etc. good players use....

the one thing I am interested in, however, are what kind of tips players have installed on their cues. have heard a lot recently about the G2 (have one, haven't installed it yet) and ki-tech (sp?) tips, fake moori/real moori, etc...

I am hitting with a kamui brown hard right now (since after DCC). I think it feels like a kamui black medium without glazing over, holds shape (about a nickel radius), lightly rough it up about every 12 - 16 hours, and to me plays like the old lepros....but still softer than a triangle....

curious, what tip are you playing with?

:)

-----> http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?p=138765#post138765