Onepocket.org only tourney

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I think the main idea with this tournament idea (in my mind, anyway) is the opportunity to mix and compete -- most likely in that order.

We could include a second chance tournament for everyone that gets knocked out in the first few rounds of the main event. In a regular double elimination tournament, I believe half of the field is eliminated after just two rounds each side (first round on the winner side, half the players go into the one-loss side; first round of the one-loss side, one quarter of the field is eliminated, 2nd round of the winners, another quarter of the players go to the one-loss side; second round of the one-loss, another quarter of the field is eliminated). Maybe at that point kick off the second chance.

That is exactly right Steve,
A get together with a nice dinner and a few drinks, get to know each other, relax and have a good time. We are all about the game of one pocket and most of our hearts beat pure for the game, mine being a recent conversion... The idea of a 2nd chance tournament certainly appeals to me. For those of us concerned about bang for the buck, this seems to add good value and extra time at the table. I for one would endorse this format as the best offered up so far. Good idea...:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Jeff said Dave @ Shooters is the guy, anyone know em? I know Tull pretty well. Only problem I can for see is the money. Don't know if they would do the Calcutta/entries w/o a cut, tho I would gladly ask Dan. If you guyz want I'll call em.

Some poolrooms are not comfortable with Calcuttas. Also, I don't think there is any question that any Calcutta is going to be bigger in the South than anywhere else.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Shooters/Olathe

Shooters/Olathe

Some poolrooms are not comfortable with Calcuttas. Also, I don't think there is any question that any Calcutta is going to be bigger in the South than anywhere else.

I'd bet you were never there during the McChesney years., John always took 10 off the top, and the Calcutta's there are usually in the teens +. Even one year Cornbread came with the wife, it's when she fell backwards off her chair. It's a Good room.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Jeff said Dave @ Shooters is the guy, anyone know em? I know Tull pretty well. Only problem I can for see is the money. Don't know if they would do the Calcutta/entries w/o a cut, tho I would gladly ask Dan. If you guyz want I'll call em.

i think if you want to get in touch with dave matlock, just call the pool room (913) 780-5740.

my personal impression is that shooters has all the stuff the group would want in a single location. customer service oriented/friendly place, plenty of tables, room to sweat games, full service bar, plenty of space for a group sit down dinner with a restaurant quality menu, experience running tournaments, calcuttas, etc....

however, i can think of three reservations as john has pointed out: (1) it's at least 45 minutes from the airport, (2) lodging - only thing really close is an econo lodge (little bit on the seedy side) a mile or two away, (3) if they would be willing to waive membership (like they do for the midwest onepocket and bar box nine ball)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
i think if you want to get in touch with dave matlock, just call the pool room (913) 780-5740.

my personal impression is that shooters has all the stuff the group would want in a single location. customer service oriented/friendly place, plenty of tables, room to sweat games, full service bar, plenty of space for a group sit down dinner with a restaurant quality menu, experience running tournaments, calcuttas, etc....

however, i can think of three reservations as john has pointed out: (1) it's at least 45 minutes from the airport, (2) lodging - only thing really close is an econo lodge (little bit on the seedy side) a mile or two away, (3) if they would be willing to waive membership (like they do for the midwest onepocket and bar box nine ball)

There's a couple within a mile, and a good breakfast joint a couple blocks away. Their bar food has always been good, and the bar area is raised and overlooks many 9 footers.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

"Dave" at Shooters is David Matlock, formerly one of the very best bar table players in the country and a one-time winner of the Derby One Pocket Title (or maybe I'm forgetting and it was Master of the Table, or both.) Very friendly and as open to helping pool action happen as Dan Tull will let him... which is probably VERY OPEN.

The room itself and the central location both recommend it. Downside is the tables are: 1 GC with 4" pockets; 8 GCs with 4 1/2"; 3 older Diamonds, which play tighter than all but the one GC. We could probably arrange our tournament on the 8 GC that are more-or-less equal. Table condition can be expected to be good. Restaurant and bar are excellent, and food is particularly reasonable. It's a private club, but guests need only to sign in to enter. I'm not sure what the laws are regarding closing time, but it's at least 2:00am, and they've been known to lock the doors for later action. Bar has to close earlier, maybe 1:00.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
shooters

shooters

"Dave" at Shooters is David Matlock, formerly one of the very best bar table players in the country and a one-time winner of the Derby One Pocket Title (or maybe I'm forgetting and it was Master of the Table, or both.) Very friendly and as open to helping pool action happen as Dan Tull will let him... which is probably VERY OPEN.

The room itself and the central location both recommend it. Downside is the tables are: 1 GC with 4" pockets; 8 GCs with 4 1/2"; 3 older Diamonds, which play tighter than all but the one GC. We could probably arrange our tournament on the 8 GC that are more-or-less equal. Table condition can be expected to be good. Restaurant and bar are excellent, and food is particularly reasonable. It's a private club, but guests need only to sign in to enter. I'm not sure what the laws are regarding closing time, but it's at least 2:00am, and they've been known to lock the doors for later action. Bar has to close earlier, maybe 1:00.

yep.

on the left side is a portion of the elevated bar - several rail seats for sweators that gives you vantage of three or four tables. bar area is big enough could pull several tables together for some kind of a dinner. (table in the far corner is the tight table.) qball (best at his trade in the midwest) and one of the patrick brothers are the table mechanics who handle their tables - all play very consistent.

(i don't know the logistics or what it would take, but maybe even evelyn dysart could run the tourney?? -- she runs a tight ship...)

it would be a great place.

:)

(p.s. i have it on good authority that bar closes at 2 AM sharp.)

Attachments

• shooters.jpg
    shooters.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
yep.

on the left side is a portion of the elevated bar - several rail seats for sweators that gives you vantage of three or four tables. bar area is big enough could pull several tables together for some kind of a dinner. (table in the far corner is the tight table.) qball (best at his trade in the midwest) and one of the patrick brothers are the table mechanics who handle their tables - all play very consistent.

(i don't know the logistics or what it would take, but maybe even evelyn dysart could run the tourney?? -- she runs a tight ship...)

Pic shows Danny Smith shooting and Shane McMinn in the player's chair.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Pic shows Danny Smith shooting and Shane McMinn in the player's chair.

not that cocky douchebag....

think the man's name is morra (but i could be wrong with the name). he used to live in texas now in oklahoma. has a "mitch stroke". see this guy stroke a ball, think he can't play, but he can. fierce competitor. lose isn't in this guy's vocabulary.

me and mitch (and dr. bill about the time i had enough sweating and hit the rack) watched him and hacker move the coin around the table for a few hours real late at night/early morning last derby city. best onepocket i saw played there....saw hacker hit a short rail first five rail safety i still can't figure out.....

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
We could take a week, park several travel trailers in your yard, and play on your table. Whaddayasay? (Is your wife a good cook?) :p

not a good idea. miller in the shithouse right now. had some father/daughter time last night....so naturally, we went to the horse track. staci found a marked up race form in frankie's room. under interrogation, she rolled and ratted me out.......

If we get Miller and Mitch there Im in also. Dead money!@!@! keith

"the lunatic is off the grass...gotta keep the loonies on the path" ha! (inside joke) ;):). i hope we can get together. that would be awesome.....

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
yep.

Too small an event to need ta hire a TD for two days.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Too small an event to need ta hire a TD for two days.

I disagree. Most of the rooms that would qualify have in house or regular tournament directors.

Not too cool to ask to use their venue and not use the regular people to run it. Our two tournaments at Bogies are a pretty good example. They did a great job.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I disagree. Most of the rooms that would qualify have in house or regular tournament directors.

Not too cool to ask to use their venue and not use the regular people to run it. Our two tournaments at Bogies are a pretty good example. They did a great job.

Evelyn is not their house person, she runs many events throughout the Midwest and does a great job. An in house man, your right should be considered. Matlock would enjoy it. Shooters has had allot of different promoters use this room over the years.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
yep.

Eveyln charges 1500 + room and board to run a tournament....

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Eveyln charges 1500 + room and board to run a tournament....

I don't know about the $1500 or the room and board (I thought she and Danny usually slept in their big-ass- camper) but I'm pretty sure a chunk of the calcutta is involved.

I've never been to a Shooters tournament other than Evelyn's 3-times-a-year "Midwest 9ball Tour" that includes a 1P division so I don't know what their TD arrangements are when she isn't there.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Thats what they charged to run :eek:a tournament in Metropolis a few years ago. I'm up for a trip to Lacy's this fall if its there. I'm not a big fan of smoking venues these days that's why i don't go to shooters tournaments anymore.

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
a good discussion/needs assessment to date......

i'd propose that moving forward the following should be addressed:

(1) determine when.
(2) get a venue/committed room owner.
(3) who plans/intends to play.
(4) need an emissary to handle it.

a few thoughts.....

when. i think something to consider is that 20 - 30 regulars go to DCC in late january and others have reasons that can't make it -- be it work, schedule, distance, health considerations, etc. we have a handful that play and/or will be attending the 2017 US Open. it sounds like the 2nd annual geezer classic ;) will be in april 2017. i'd stipulate that late summer 2017 might be good timing.

location. houston, new orleans, chicago, olathe (KC), have all been thrown out. each will have pros and cons, guys familiar or close to certain rooms will be in favor of their home track, etc. maybe now is the time to do two things: (a) who would be receptive to having us, and (b) start eliminating locations. on that second point and for example -- imo chicago makes sense, but for this kind of thing i think red shoes would be much better than chris's......

who intends to play. for example, if the only members that are able to make it are a handful of the senior classic players and a few extras, the entire thing might be a moot point and not worth any room owners time. available vacation, time, disposable money, family commitments, etc. will certainly figure into it for most.

point man/men. somebody or a small group should be designated to handle logistics, get things set up, etc. "too many cooks in the kitchen" kind of thing. last thing we need or want are five different guys calling the same room owners, etc. as an example, if lacy's turns out to be the place -- just give doc the ball and let him run with it.

just a few things the chew on.....