Wsbd

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I agree with Tom Wirth that moving the 2 ball should be your concern here... the only difference is maybe how to do it... hard to tell the angle but if I could shoot a mini masse at the 2 ball thats how I would shoot it.. might make it or get it close and have the cue ball on your opponents second diamond blocked by the stack... if it doesnt lay right than I would shoot Toms option... I definitely dont want to leave the 2 ball where it is.... I think Busty made a horrible choice here

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wel since rob and tom like the 2 rail kick on the 2 ball it must be a good option
question for rob
you kick really well
would you consideer moving the 2 ball with a one rail kick instead
something like this
if the 2 ball was closer to the side rail its a common shot
wwsd1.jpg

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I agree with Tom Wirth that moving the 2 ball should be your concern here... the only difference is maybe how to do it... hard to tell the angle but if I could shoot a mini masse at the 2 ball thats how I would shoot it.. might make it or get it close and have the cue ball on your opponents second diamond blocked by the stack... if it doesnt lay right than I would shoot Toms option... I definitely dont want to leave the 2 ball where it is.... I think Busty made a horrible choice here

Yes Rob, I too would prefer that to the two rail kick. I just don't think the angle is there without a considerable masse.

Tom

baby huey

Verified Member
The game is early. I don't like kicking at the two ball because too much can go wrong. I would just place the cue ball behind the two ball. Make him move the two ball away from his hole on his shot. This tactic accomplishes quite a lot in that he cannot be on offense with his shot. There are downsides if you don't get there in that he might be able to leave you in the stack on his shot. So in comes down to execution as is always the case in one pocket anyway. Hit it bad and the tables will be turned.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like Rodney's shot except the 2ball is positioned a little too close to the opponents pocket, had it been 6" further away from the pocket that would be my first choice. In regard to the two rail kick on the 2ball it's clearly to me a very viable option and one that should be seriously considered. Like Tom suggested, practice these type of shots/kicks to develop a feel for them and when they show you will be prepared to execute a possible game winning shot. I myself haven't practiced this particular kick but my general feel for kicks will/should be good enough to hit this kick well a high percentage of the time. The kick on the 2ball would also be my choice in this situation.

Dr. Bill

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I love the 2 rail kick on the 2. The only thing you have to worry about is hitting on the underside where the cueball comes back towards your pocket. Other than that nothing but good can happen from this shot imo. Good choice Tom (and Rob)....

8andout

Verified Member
Thinking ahead

Thinking ahead

90% of the players i play with, including myself, would shoot as in my diagram. I't an easy shot that you've done a million time when returning the break, what can he possibly do, other than taking a foul by touching the tip, that would not give you an easier way to clear the blue on your next shot, or to have a long shot to your hole from the end rail?

Attachments

• 1Pa.jpg
    1Pa.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

treeMan

Verified Member
Thanks Tom for your explanation, and also to Rob, Billy, and everyone for commenting.

I still don't like the kick in this instance, maybe the difference is in the skill of the shooter/poster - to me the kick shot is too low percentage for most players in terms of controlling the position of both balls and the game.

Doc, of course if the angle is not there, or you end up pushing the 7 to the stack, the simple safe shot loses is value. It's obviously hard to tell from the pictures, it does look like you may flirt with the pocket point by feathering the 7. I assumed both shots are available.

tree

PS to all who say the 2 needs to be moved now, imo when the shooter is up the move, that 2 can be a two way ball

- It's a ball to hide behind
- The shooter with the superior position should expect to get the first shot, in which case the 2 can be banked

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
when the shooter is up the move, that 2 can be a two way ball
I'm with you, tree, and moving the 7 up a little reduces the risk of a bad CB while trying to freeze on the 2; the 7 bank is much tougher if you happen to catch the bottom of the 2 and leave the 7 shootable. (I think the 7 hit is thin, but not a feather.)