banking

t-dog

Verified Member
I was told and have heard "the only way to get good at banking is to twist the balls" which i understand. At this site it has this quote
The ability to bank successfully separates the good from the great one-pocket player. The great player shoots banks with confidence and plays position. Excellent bank players all have one thing in common—they bank with the vertical center of the cueball. In almost every game of one-pocket you will depend on a bank shot to win or lose the game. Learn to bank the correct way and with practice, you can always depend on the result
does this mean that banking with center is better? which is it???
I got this info from
http://www.cues.com/bank_shots.html
thanks.............T-dog :confused:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'll take a stab at this question :) I saw recently a discussion about banking where someone wrote something like what you just quoted -- that you shouldn't use anything but center ball when banking unless you need to for position. My first thought was, what pool game would they be playing where they don't need to play position???

My second thought is that if you are cutting an object ball to either the left or right and you hit your shot with center ball, you might not be putting english on the cue ball, but you sure as hell are putting english on the object ball -- collision induced english! In fact, IMHO you get the most collision induced english on a center ball hit!!

Ironically, if you don't want english on the object ball on a (cut-shot bank), then you will have to put compensating english on the cue ball just to get a natural roll on the object ball -- because of collision induced english!

Try this example of a spot-to-spot straight back bank shooting two different ways:

First, without any side english, just a medium hard centerball stroke, aiming way over at about a 'half-ball' hit. The collision induced english really shortens up the bank even though you think you're going to really overcut the ball!

START(
%Bg6O3%PO0O5%QA7[5%Rs6R6%Ss6P7%Ue4N9%VP3O5%YE6Z8%Zr9S4%[r4R7
%\h7O6%_m7R6%`j5C6%ag2N5
)END

Then try the same set up with a little left (running) english hit with just pocket speed, so you get natural roll on the object ball -- for this you only need a slight cut angle.

START(
%Bg6O3%PO0O5%QA7[5%Rs6R6%Ss6P7%Ue4O2%VP3O5%YE6Z8%Zr9Q7%[r5Q3
%\h7O6%eB2`8%_p4F1%`r3I2%ag2N5
)END

The difference in where the object ball hits the head rail (B to C) is a couple of inches apart on the cushion! Of course, cleanliness of balls and 'grab' on the cushions will make a difference on this, but the principle holds true on any equipment.

The point is, if you don't use english on the cue ball (to compensate for collision induced english on the object ball), you will get shortened bank angles -- especially if you're hitting firmly. At bank pool they like that shorter angle on the rebound for straight back banks that you get with a firm hit and collision induced throw, but at One Pocket, you will lose games if you can't control the rock and bring your object ball home with pocket speed consistently, and that means learning to use running english when necessary, IMO.

Last edited:

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
T-Dog wrote:
"Learn to bank the correct way and with practice, you can always depend on the result"

I think this quote answered your question.
Learning both ways will make your banking more consistant and dependable.

I don't agree about the 'Great bank pool players' using vertical cue ball hit. I am sure they are great bank pool players because they have the confidence of being able to bank with both spinning and vertical hits.

I would recommend using both methods when practicing and see the different results and adjusting for Shape, Consistancy and confidence.

piggybank04

Verified Member
I bank with and without english,but I try to keep my speed consistent whenever i can......... :)