George Pawelski AKA "The Polish Prince" passes...

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
In the last two years, we have lost four of the eight Johnston City veterans in this photo - we only lost Freddy a week ago. It saddens me to hear that another great player, George Pawelski, AKA "The Polish Prince," has passed. My condolences to his family & many friends...RIP, George, RIP...

Attachments

• Johnston City 50th Anniversary Veterans - '11 HOF Dinner - DCC - Eliz, IN2.jpeg
    Johnston City 50th Anniversary Veterans - '11 HOF Dinner - DCC - Eliz, IN2.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
In the last two years, we have lost four of the eight Johnston City veterans in this photo - we only lost Freddy a week ago. It saddens me to hear that another great player, George Pawelski, AKA "The Polish Prince," has passed. My condolences to his family & many friends...RIP, George, RIP...
Great picture. A lot of talent history and class. Pictures say more than words.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
George was a hell of a player and a stand up guy, one of Freddies best old friends. George drove from Wisconsin to see his friend Freddie before they buried him, it was a rainy dreary day but in spite of that George took it on driving alone with stage 4 cancer. When he arrived at the wake he came to me offered his condolences to myself and the family and then said to me ..with a smile..Billy im still hanging in there :(
He looked very ill both arms were the color of purple/black and he had a yellowish colored complexion along with his eyes being yellow. It was sad just looking at him but I didnt question him about his condition and he never commented on it either, we just talked about the good old days and about meeting for lunch the next day. George shared a great story about how he met Lassiter..Mosconi and the great Harold Worst. He played Worst in a tournament and narrowly lost 150 to 122 and Worst said ..son I like the way you play you need a nick mame Worst then touched both of George's shoulders with the shaft of his v ue and said to George..From this day going forward you will be known as "The Polish Prince" and he was.

Angel Levine had to drive George back to Wisconson because it was clear he couldnt do it himself, The Polish Prince passed four days later.

George was a good guy and also a S.S. member in good standing.

R.I.P. George ..sorry we never had that chance to eat lunch.

Bill Incardona

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
George was a hell of a player and a stand up guy, one of Freddies best old friends. George drove from Wisconsin to see his friend Freddie before they buried him, it was a rainy dreary day but in spite of that George took it on driving alone with stage 4 cancer. When he arrived at the wake he came to me offered his condolences to myself and the family and then said to me ..with a smile..Billy im still hanging in there :(
He looked very ill both arms were the color of purple/black and he had a yellowish colored complexion along with his eyes being yellow. It was sad just looking at him but I didnt question him about his condition and he never commented on it either, we just talked about the good old days and about meeting for lunch the next day. George shared a great story about how he met Lassiter..Mosconi and the great Harold Worst. He played Worst in a tournament and narrowly lost 150 to 122 and Worst said ..son I like the way you play you need a nick mame Worst then touched both of George's shoulders with the shaft of his v ue and said to George..From this day going forward you will be known as "The Polish Prince" and he was.

Angel Levine had to drive George back to Wisconson because it was clear he couldnt do it himself, The Polish Prince passed four days later.

Bill Incardona

VERY touching Billy, it did brings tears to my eyes. With all that is going on lately, I just can't bring myself to come with the "right" words anymore! It's too sad to even think about much longer.

Billy, you, me, Artie, Jimmy Fusco, Larry we all go back a long ways. Lets not get out of touch with each other, I would hate for our next conversation be one of the passing of a dear, close friend or God forbid one of us in the near future. I have everyone's numbers, I'll make sure I stay in touch!
As Freddy would say, "You're a GOOD egg!"

JAM

Verified Member
So sad to read this news. Thank you for sharing the picture, Mary, and the tribute, Billy, to your friend. May he rest in peace!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Bill Incardona

first let me say
REST IN PEACE GEORGE
billy its obvious to me that in spite of being a competitor to many during your carreer
you could separate the i want to beat you for the cheese
and yet be a loyal friend through out the years
much respect to you from me
larry

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
copied from the other thread about George's passing

copied from the other thread about George's passing

I heard that George courageously came up from Racine, Wisconson to Chicago for Freddy's memorial service -- despite being obviously mortally ill himself. Now there goes a good friend.

George was one of the veterans of Johnston City that came to the One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner in 2011 for the 50th anniversary of the first Johnston City tournament. I had invited George by looking him up in the same home town that George Jansco had him listed nearly 50 years earlier! He came to every HOF dinner after that, obviously really enjoying himself. It was a nice reconnection with Freddy too. George and Freddy were teammates back in about 1980 on a national championship 8-ball team that also included One Pocket great Artie Bodendorfer and Chicago's John Abbruzzo -- how is that for a killer line-up?!

Below is an old Johnston City photo of George.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
I heard that George courageously came up from Racine, Wisconson to Chicago for Freddy's memorial service -- despite being obviously mortally ill himself. Now there goes a good friend.

George was one of the veterans of Johnston City that came to the One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner in 2011 for the 50th anniversary of the first Johnston City tournament. I had invited George by looking him up in the same home town that George Jansco had him listed nearly 50 years earlier! He came to every HOF dinner after that, obviously really enjoying himself. It was a nice reconnection with Freddy too. George and Freddy were teammates back in about 1980 on a national championship 8-ball team that also included One Pocket great Artie Bodendorfer and Chicago's John Abbruzzo -- how is that for a killer line-up?!

Below is an old Johnston City photo of George.
I don't no if people no. But I was born in 1944 in wagon in Poland with bombs falling. MY mother was fleeing Romania to get to Austria to a safe heaven for her and her. Three sons. I was the youngest just being born on the way. A lot of people got killed and starved to death. And the bullets. and bombs didn't have no names on them. It was hell on earth. And the Russians were chasing Hitler back to Berlin. Robing Killing and raping and destroying everything in site with blood and revenge in there eyes. And Romania was where the Germans made there last stand.My parents lost everything over night and they were one of the wealthest families in Romania.. And my father was in a Russian prison concentration camp in Yougaslavian for three years. That took all the life out of him. Wars do one thing they kill. And its ok to kill. And the best killers win. But that's how I was born. Its hard to imagine what women went through giving birth in those days. And then continue on there journey. To a safe heaven for there family.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I was fortunate to have sat with Freddie and George at the Hall of Fame dinner a few years ago. From that short experience it was obvious that he was a very nice gentleman. Keith

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Look at the hands on Artie B. How would you like to be wearing a pair of meat hooks like that? He could be the magician!

OldSchool

Verified Member
As has been said, George was a great player in all games, including 3cushion. He used to come over to Michigan sometimes and play. He was very solid, like a rock at the table, and he had a powerful stroke.

R.I.P. George, with all the other players who have passed on.

Old School

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
As has been said, George was a great player in all games, including 3cushion. He used to come over to Michigan sometimes and play. He was very solid, like a rock at the table, and he had a powerful stroke.

R.I.P. George, with all the other players who have passed on.

Old School
What was Georges high run in straight pool?