For all the people who read this.

JAM

Verified Member
We all have our own way of describing the past and believe it or not most of our personal recollections are somewhat flawed. Some just forget more than others, or maybe even represent disproportionately. However, at the end of the day after the sun goes down nobody needs to tell us that it's dark outside, we're all familiar with the process simply because we're familiar with it.:D

Enjoy your day:)

Bill Incardona

Thanks for providing a ray of sunshine in this thread. My own memory fails me from time to time.

I know Mike Zuglan pretty doggone well from attending MANY, MANY, MANY tournaments on the Joss Northeast 9-Ball Tour. I mean almost every weekend, we'd be seeing Mike since 2002.

The other day, I called him "Mark." He corrected me; I was embarrassed. :eek:

Attachments

• Mike Zuglan and Keith McCready at 2003 U.S. Open.JPG
    Mike Zuglan and Keith McCready at 2003 U.S. Open.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 0

bstroud

Verified Member
As always, you're correct and as always you're elegant in your presentation.

I just can't hack it when the pot calls the kettle black and struts around like it's Baccarat Crystal.

As you know, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. You, Cardone, have a gift of being able to tell someone that they can bet it up for what they can carry while telling them you'll rip their throat out...but do it in a manner where you're a gentleman and make someone throw their arm around ya.

Bill tends to tell selective-memory stories and when someone clearly shows their story was flawed, still won't say "golly-gee that's right, I was mistaken," but instead will climb mount everest to stand beside their bullshit story.

One style is clearly more effective than the other.

That said, I always found it humorous that a guy as verbose as Stroud instantly "no hablo ingles" when someone brings up that DYD cue.

Anyways, sorry for the chirping, but it's hard to respect that guy. I tend to leave my filter in my other pants when someone leaves their integrity in theirs.

Most of you guys can stand this guy (because you kinda HAVE to), but coming from a normal person who wouldn't blow the guy and hand him free passes all day just to own one of his over-rated cues...it's tough to read.

Where can I find the beat story of when he last played the Beard at the DCC? Hope someone can link to it, would love to read it.

Anyways... off to the golf course.

Thanks to Artie for hosting this week's Coffee Talk. Tune in next week when Bill Stroud tells us about when he beat Weenie Beanie when Weenie was 17 and how he kicked Weenie back a 20-spot just to help him fill his cart up with hot dogs and later found Weenie blowing the 20 on a 10-dollar hooker and couldn't even get a 10-dollar gapper back.

Dave,

I only played Beanie once and broke even.

My story about Allen is 100% correct except perhaps for how many balls Rigey ran. It could have been 120 to 140. I left before the game was over. Heard Rigey won the next day. Sorry you can't accept the truth.

I have a photographic memory and even remember which table we played on.

I played Freddy banks for the one and only time at the DCC tournament. He made a great shot to win the match. I left him in the corner pocket next to the 8 ball and he banked it cross corner.

I have never counted tournament matches as win/loss because I don't play in many tournaments and don't play well in them. I like to gamble more.

If you are truly interested in the DYD cue, PM me and I will explain everything to you as it is personal in nature.

Enjoy the golf.

Bill S.

unoperro

Verified Member
Dave,

My story about Allen is 100% correct except perhaps for how many balls Rigey ran. It could have been 120 to 140. I left before the game was over. Heard Rigey won the next day. Sorry you can't accept the truth.

I have a photographic memory and even remember which table we played

If you are truly interested in the DYD cue, PM me and I will explain everything to you as it is personal in nature.

Enjoy the golf.

Bill S.
"Story" is prbly 100% correct. DYD was very public-you made it so.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
A Bill Stroud story

A Bill Stroud story

I hope this doesn't end up hijacking this terrific thread of Artie's, but Bill Stoud's name came up recently in a conversation I had with elderly banking legend Donnie Anderson. Anderson -- who is in our HOF for Bank Pook -- is from Cincinnati, and I had called him to let him know that Freddy had died, which I am grateful that he already knew so I did not have to break the news to him. Anyway, I happened to mention Steve Cook -- also from Ohio -- and Donnie told a story about Steve coming in to Mergards, which was the main action room in Cinci bank in the 60's. He said Steve looked about 14 but was probably more like 17 or 18, and he played great. So Donnie took Steve on a little road trip to Louisville and maybe other places, and they did pretty well -- Steve playing 9-ball and Donnie playing Banks. Then they returned to Mergards. Well, who should come in to Mergards but Bill Stroud. Anyway, Bill steered the game to One Pocket with Steve Cook, and it was pretty close to the first time Steve had played One Pocket seriously, and Cook proceeded to lose 800 to Stroud -- to the point that after unsuccessfully trying to pull Steve up, Donny pulled out so Steve was on his own. Of course, just a couple years later, Steve Cook went on to become the youngest ever major One Pocket champion, winning the Stardust in 1970 when he was barely 20!

The reason I mention this story is because I heard pieces of it both from Bill Stroud and Donnie Anderson. Good story!

bstroud

Verified Member
True story.

One of the worst things I have carried around all my life is about Steve Cook.

At the Dayton tournament that Joe Burns and I put on I bought Steve his first drink. It was a brandy Alexander at the bar at the other end of the center where the pool room was.

Perhaps he would have started drinking anyway but I always felt partly responsible.

Bill S.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
I hope this doesn't end up hijacking this terrific thread of Artie's, but Bill Stoud's name came up recently in a conversation I had with elderly banking legend Donnie Anderson. Anderson -- who is in our HOF for Bank Pook -- is from Cincinnati, and I had called him to let him know that Freddy had died, which I am grateful that he already knew so I did not have to break the news to him. Anyway, I happened to mention Steve Cook -- also from Ohio -- and Donnie told a story about Steve coming in to Mergards, which was the main action room in Cinci bank in the 60's. He said Steve looked about 14 but was probably more like 17 or 18, and he played great. So Donnie took Steve on a little road trip to Louisville and maybe other places, and they did pretty well -- Steve playing 9-ball and Donnie playing Banks. Then they returned to Mergards. Well, who should come in to Mergards but Bill Stroud. Anyway, Bill steered the game to One Pocket with Steve Cook, and it was pretty close to the first time Steve had played One Pocket seriously, and Cook proceeded to lose 800 to Stroud -- to the point that after unsuccessfully trying to pull Steve up, Donny pulled out so Steve was on his own. Of course, just a couple years later, Steve Cook went on to become the youngest ever major One Pocket champion, winning the Stardust in 1970 when he was barely 20!

The reason I mention this story is because I heard pieces of it both from Bill Stroud and Donnie Anderson. Good story!
Steve Cook was a great player. And he deserves the credit. He would play anyone. He has Sans personality. Quite and he drank. May bey not as much as Sammie Blumenthal. From Jacksonville Florida. Were Harley and Horace hung out. And Harley was a good player. Mike Carrillo was another great player. Who didn't get the credit he deserves.Steve Cook was a classy guy and a great player.

bstroud

Verified Member
Artie,

I only saw Sammy Blumenthal play once in Macon at the Gandy tournament.
Horace was staking him.

I was traveling with Taylor and Sammy offered Taylor 3 or 6 points with 3 reds on the snooker table. I was playing pay ball with Camp on the next table.

Eddie and I thought we had the Nuts. I couldn't believe how good Sammy played. Just a peak at a ball and he was out.

It took a miracle on Eddy's' part to get us even.

Never saw Sammy play nine ball. No one at the tournament would play him.

He didn't win the Snooker though. Danny Jones did.

Great tournament. My first.

I had to play Doc Hazard in the 9 ball. Very slow player. He must have taken 50 to 100 strokes on every shot. Race to 11 took over 6 hours. I lost 11 to 10.

I met all of the good players of the day for the first time. It was like Wonderland.

Eyeryone had gamble.

The first thing I saw was Squirrel take $300 to $200 that he could get out a tough rack of 9 ball on the practice table. He almost got out. He really had some gamble.

That was 1959. $300 today would be $3000 or more.

Bill S.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Bill Stroud

Bill Stroud

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but even us old guys can learn something once and a while.

Most of us can get pretty nasty sometimes, whether it is something critical of our friends or a player we admire or a slight or downright slur aimed right at us. I have been guilty of this myself and it is so easy to go off when you are on the keyboard.

Bill Stroud has taken a few arrows, on this thread and others, and his replies, in spite of the venom in some of the posts, are always civil and he responds to every post the best he can without a nasty response.

We could all learn a little something here.

pvclou

Verified Member
For all the people who read this.

I noticed this too. Big kudos to Bill Stroud

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but even us old guys can learn something once and a while.

Most of us can get pretty nasty sometimes, whether it is something critical of our friends or a player we admire or a slight or downright slur aimed right at us. I have been guilty of this myself and it is so easy to go off when you are on the keyboard.

Bill Stroud has taken a few arrows, on this thread and others, and his replies, in spite of the venom in some of the posts, are always civil and he responds to every post the best he can without a nasty response.

bstroud

Verified Member
Thanks to you both.

I never tried to slur Allen Hopkins. I hold him in the highest regard.

I just told what happened. I remember everything. Locations and shots I shot over 50 years ago.

It is not always the blessing it seems.

Pool has always been my life. Cuemaking was simply a way to make a good living. It is not cues I remember. It is what happened in the pool rooms all over the US.

I have seen unbelievable things transpire in the pool room. I'm sure you all have as well.

Times were a little different then. The good guys wore white hats and the bad guys wore black ones. You could have dinner with a guy that might try to rob you the next day. It was OK.

One of the things I remember most was at Mack's (a black pool room in Baltimore). It wasn't just all the money I won there.

I played there often and gambled high. It was a small room with maybe 6 tables. To the left of the front door there was jukebox with great music.

No matter how high we were betting or who was playing when this Black junkie came into the pool room high, everyone just quit what they were doing to watch him.

Someone would put money in the jukebox and he would dance by himself.

He could defy gravity. He would lean so far over it seemed impossible. He was the best dancer I have ever seen anywhere.

The whole pool room was just mesmerized.

These are the kind of moments that are impossible to forget.

It was a great room. Where are they today? I miss them.

Bill S.

spiderwebcomm

Verified Member
Re: For all the people who read this.

Dave,

I have a photographic memory and even remember which table we played on.

I played Freddy banks for the one and only time at the DCC tournament. He made a great shot to win the match. I left him in the corner pocket next to the 8 ball and he banked it cross corner.

I have never counted tournament matches as win/loss because I don't play in many tournaments and don't play well in them. I like to gamble more.

Enjoy the golf.

Bill S.
Regardless of the reason for you to not make it, did you make it right with the winner? There's a million reasons why to not make it and one reason to make it: integrity.

If you had a photographic memory, you would have known Allen wasn't a world champion when he played you. You were off by a few years... which Allen knew. He also knew Rigey didn't run what you said. So Allen was correct so far on 2/3 points, which you already confirmed. Allen also said the walking money part was total BS, so I'm guessing Allen has the photographic memory.

Like I said earlier, he totally confirmed you and Rigey won... I think the point was the "puffed, condescending story."

You can't be wrong on 2/3 points and claim photographic memory.

All of that aside, if you're healthy rnough to play pool and have thr funds to run around to gamble and play in events, you can bring that DYD nightmare to an end by doing the right thing. Make it right, that's all. You seem like a good man...do the right thing.

Have a good 4th.

spiderwebcomm

Verified Member
Re: For all the people who read this.

He only kept it civil because he had to because he was checkmated before he began in every way.

Forgive me for being venomous, but the tone of his original post about Allen was certainly condescending and inacurate and someone had to say something, and it just so happened to be me because I don't kiss ass.

Bill Stroud has a credibility problem in general with that cue he air barreled on (which he still hasn't addressed) and his story was full of holes. I hope he turns all of that around, but his ego might get in the way of doing the right thing.

Another lesson that can be learned is sometimes you have to cut through an ego bs cloud with a little venom in order to get to the real story, in every regard.

Sorry.

bstroud

Verified Member
Dave,

As I said PM me if you want to know what really happened to me.

I have not had any equipment to work on cues for almost three years.

I had to give up cue making.

You can believe whatever you want about Allen but I was there and I know the facts.

Allen really did ask for and got the $200. There is nothing wrong with that.
Giving back the money was something you did when other players asked. It was the right thing to do.

I don't know about now but it was necessary then for players to get pumped up again. It happened all the time. There was no shame in it.

Air barrels for the last game were common. Allen did not do that.

When I played Freddy one pocket at Beanie's he owed me $20 for the last game.

The next time I saw Freddy he walked over and gave me the $20 that he owed me. Now that's integrity.

He was the only one that ever did that.

Bill S.

JAM

Verified Member

Well said. :)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Well said. :)
What I learned her is that age tells me we have less time. And if you want to be herd or get your story told. Tell it before its to late. You might not see the sun come up. Or you might not get to see the next fourth of July. And if you don't leave something behind that people will remember you. Your Journey will be forgotten. Wright something that you liked or enjoyed. And people from the next generation will read it.And say those people were pretty cool. And they left there story for us to read and enjoy. And I am not a book worm. But reading is the best thing you can teach a child to learn and read. And they love it when you read to them when they are little. They even look forward for you to read to them. If you read to your children or a loved one you will understand. Read a pom to a girl and tell her this pom is for her. Or this pom reminds you of her. And if you want to lock it up . Add some flowers with ta pom and a candle light dinner. You will make her feel so good and special. She will all ways remember that moment and time. And writing letters is also very emotional. Wright a letter to someone you like or someone you never wrote a letter to.And see what kind of reaction you will get. If you get a letter from someone you haven't herd from in a long time. See how good it makes you feel. If its a letter to bite you. Send back a picture of a dog.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
What I learned her is that age tells me we have less time. And if you want to be herd or get your story told. Tell it before its to late. You might not see the sun come up. Or you might not get to see the next fourth of July. And if you don't leave something behind that people will remember you. Your Journey will be forgotten. Wright something that you liked or enjoyed. And people from the next generation will read it.And say those people were pretty cool. And they left there story for us to read and enjoy. And I am not a book worm. But reading is the best thing you can teach a child to learn and read. And they love it when you read to them when they are little. They even look forward for you to read to them. If you read to your children or a loved one you will understand. Read a pom to a girl and tell her this pom is for her. Or this pom reminds you of her. And if you want to lock it up . Add some flowers with ta pom and a candle light dinner. You will make her feel so good and special. She will all ways remember that moment and time. And writing letters is also very emotional. Wright a letter to someone you like or someone you never wrote a letter to.And see what kind of reaction you will get. If you get a letter from someone you haven't herd from in a long time. See how good it makes you feel. If its a letter to bite you. Send back a picture of a dog.
Any body ever her the expression Jam up and Jelly tight.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Any body ever her the expression Jam up and Jelly tight.

Yes, of course, Artie B. I heard this many times. I heard it in reference to your one pocket game in particular and to your overall gambling as well. There was also a song by Tommy Roe with that phrase as the title. It wasn't much of a song but it still got good play back around when I was in high school. We would also use this phrase not only to describe a desirable girl, but to also use in other ways to describe a favorable thing. Like if one was selling a used car or boat or something, we might say it was 'Jam Up And Jelly Tight'.... I will put the song up in the video section, or you can go to you tube and it will come right up. Here are the lyrics.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Hey, I resemble that remark! :lol:p:D:cool:;)
Your really a lot better than that remark. It just poppit into my head from years ago. Your 100% class, And so is Keith. I hope you put a few pounds on Keith and cooked him some Tea Bone Steack. or flaminyon. T Bones 25 cents. With the meat 11 dollars. Good luck with the Poker.