OLD BILLIARD PLAYERS (Cochran's)

Wyatt Diamond

From
Denver, CO
About a month ago a member wanted to see some pics of some the old players who went into the pool hall, "Cochrans" in California. I found many of them in an old program I had, plus some others. I'm only allowed five pics at a time so I will keep adding, as I have about 30 pics. I hope this stirs up some memories on the board. I'm not always around to answer all messages, plus I'm a two-finger typer so bare with me on any replies.

Attachments

• Allen, Ronnie.jpg
    Allen, Ronnie.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Bona, Sam.jpg
    Bona, Sam.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Breit, Jack.jpg
    Breit, Jack.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Diliberto, Danny.jpg
    Diliberto, Danny.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Ervolino, Johnny.jpg
    Ervolino, Johnny.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 11

Wyatt Diamond

From
Denver, CO
More Billiard Player Pics

About a month ago a member wanted to see some pics of some the old players who went into the pool hall, "Cochrans" in California. I found many of them in an old program I had, plus some others. I'm only allowed five pics at a time so I will keep adding, as I have about 30 pics. I hope this stirs up some memories on the board. I'm not always around to answer all messages, plus I'm a two-finger typer so bare with me on any replies.

Attachments

• Hubbard, Larry.jpg
    Hubbard, Larry.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Hitchcock, Norman.jpg
    Hitchcock, Norman.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Hall, Buddy.jpg
    Hall, Buddy.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 5
  • Fusco, Jimmy.jpg
    Fusco, Jimmy.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Florence, Ritchie.jpg
    Florence, Ritchie.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 7

Wyatt Diamond

From
Denver, CO

Apparently, I have reached my quota on pics. I will send another time.

Attachments

• Incardonna, Billy.jpg
    Incardonna, Billy.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Joe Balsis, Fred Whalen, Ritchie Florence.jpg
    Joe Balsis, Fred Whalen, Ritchie Florence.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Johnson, Larry.jpg
    Johnson, Larry.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 11

Wyatt Diamond

From
Denver, CO
gulfportdoc

gulfportdoc

Yeah, you're probably right. unfortunately, when I was hangin' in the pool halls back in those days, I was skinny too. Amazing what some good clean livin' can do to your weight. Thanks for your comments and I see that you survived Katrina. My parents live in Laurel and I wasn't able to get a hold of them for weeks.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
I can't say I have any memories of Cochrans but I sure thank you for taking the time to show us these pics. I hope you can upload some more if you have the time and inclination.

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
The Dates

The Dates

Paulie Jansco had one tournament in Albuquerque in 1975. I missed the reference to that city before. So I'm sure some of the pics are from that event. He didn't pay all of the prize money either. I remember that event clearly because he had 8 Ball and 9 Ball and I finished third in both events after a tough hill-hill loss to Buddy. Hubbart won both divisions, a feat he accomplished twice.
I think it was also 1975 when Ronnie had his great tournament in Bend, OR.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Wow great pic's!!!! Cardone looks mean, like one of those hardcore guys in the back ground of a prison movie, out in the yard plotting a gang hit in the joint. He is my friend and nothing could be farther from the truth, as he is a gentleman and has my highest respect, Billy please don't be offended. You look great now, hell I hope to live as long as you have.

On a more serious note, I really wish Buddy would go on a diet, he has always been one of my favorite people in pool, not just because he can play a little ;) but just because he is a great man.

Last edited:

Wyatt Diamond

From
Denver, CO
More Billiard Pics?

More Billiard Pics?

Thanks for all the great comments on these old pics. I would like to add more pics but there is a problem with the software and I am maxed out on attachments. Steve is doing his best to try and fix the problem!!! THANKS STEVE!!!!!!!!!

jay helfert

Verified Member
Wyatt Diamond said:

That's Cue Ball Kelly in the photo of Richie. He was the top referee of his era.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Grady said:
Paulie Jansco had one tournament in Albuquerque in 1975. I missed the reference to that city before. So I'm sure some of the pics are from that event. He didn't pay all of the prize money either. I remember that event clearly because he had 8 Ball and 9 Ball and I finished third in both events after a tough hill-hill loss to Buddy. Hubbart won both divisions, a feat he accomplished twice.
I think it was also 1975 when Ronnie had his great tournament in Bend, OR.

It was in 1976 for both of these tourneys. I was in Albuquerque with Paulie Jansco and Bill Pierce, who were promoting the tourney. When I found out they had no money to pay the added $$ and were counting on the gate to make it up, I left town. I drove all the way (both ways) in my cherry 1959 Chevy.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Wyatt Diamond said:

Wyatt, Thanks for the great pctures from the past. I have to ask one question... What is Sam Bono doing in that group? I've known him all his life and all we ever called him was "$2 Sam", in fact I raised him up a notch to
"$3 Sam", towards the end of his career. He was a good kid but never more than a mediocre shortstop. He's in some fast company here ????(I'm jealous!)

Dick

Last edited:

shooters1411

pictures

pictures

Great pictures read about alot of these guys never saw pictures before thank you

Wyatt Diamond

From
Denver, CO
Thanks For all the Comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks For all the Comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, that it has been a while since I've been on. Dick, Sam Bono just happened to be playing in the 1976 VELDA ROSE Pocket Billiard Championship and that's why he is listed. I had many more photos I wanted to load but I am maxed out. Billiards History is my thing and I have many valuable momentos going back to the 1800's. I wish I could share more with the forum but I've reached my limit. Steve tried to make it so I could put more on but has been unable to do it. Would love to bring everybody back in time with some of my visual billiard items but I will just have to wait.

Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!!!

lowboy

anyone remember ther being bleachers at Cochran's and a 5x10 out toward Market st in '77? Great luncheonette.

baby huey

Verified Member
I believe Cochrans hosted the very first One Pocket Championship in 1961. Ronnie Allen won and that was his coming out party. It was actually well attended by many past great players. Those included Jack Perkins, Sleepy Bob, Ed Kelly and many others. I did have a program but I can't find it anymore and I may be wrong on some of the player names. Actually Cochrans was famous for its Pay Ball Games which would run continuously all weekend.I know Ritchie Florence was up there a lot for those games and heads up action. I didn't make it there myself until about 1967 to donate my cash and drive home busted...........Ha Ha

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
anyone remember ther being bleachers at Cochran's and a 5x10 out toward Market st in '77? Great luncheonette.
Yeah, I remember the 5X10s by the Market St. side. I don't recall the bleachers. Maybe they were there for an event? I was there in the late '60s, but not again until the early '90s. I think in the '60s they still used the Market St. entrance. Later you had to enter from the Golden Gate Ave. side in the back. I recall the bar, but not a luncheonette. I believe they had a long luncheonette at the Palace.