Trip note

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
For those interested I have chronicled the 5 days I spent at Tunica. I had originally sent this out as an email to a friend that is on the forum here, but I figured it was a shame not to share it with other forum people who were unable to make it to Tunica.

Stayed 5 days at Tunica. The Harrahs site size is 7000 acres! 3 Hotels, golf course, exhibition hall, childrens play bldg., etc. Took my dog Kaiser with. Had a doctors note that cited he was a "therapy dog." That allows him access anywhere. Didnt factor in what we would do with him when we stopped to eat on the way down. 100 degree heat. Had to leave the A/C on with the motor running and eat fast. I still went out and checked on him every few minutes. Wont do that again in the summer season.

Won my first 4 matches which took me into the 6th round. Played pretty solid the first few days. But I woke up Sunday morning and knew immediately that I wouldnt be able to play well. I had plenty of rest and didnt abuse myself in any way, I just went out of sorts.

I have chronic problems with my eyes not working together and sometimes they just seem to "collapse" and I become virtually helpless. That was the case Sunday. I lost 2 matches and I was eliminated. Warren Kiamco, the Filipino, had an easy time 3 to zip, even tho he missed the first 10 shots he took. I missed the first 20 I took. Once he realized I was a dead body he turned into a banking monster.

The last match I lost to Jim Griffith a Ky boy who I had previously beat in Chicago, 23 to 6. Even practicing before the matches I could see that I couldnt make a ball and was basically helpless. I lost 3 to 1.

My first match was against Anthony Short, dont know him. He played ok tho. Went down to the last game and I had to bank 4 and out to leave him needing one ball to win it.

Next match was with Tony Fargo Ferguson, who was at one time the best banker in the world. That went down to the last ball and I outmoved him and won the match. With 1 ball on the table Tony attempting to play a soft safety, flinched and double hit the cue ball. It wasnt a flagrant foul but it was still a foul. I called it on him, he grumbled but paid off the foul. After he lost he threw a cursing fit and then flew out the door. After the match two guys came up and verified that they had seen him foul the ball. No one would volunteer that decision however, when we were debating the foul.

Fargo sent word back the next day and apologized for his behavior at the end of the match. It turns out he has had a difficult time of it lately back home with the passing of his mother and other things.

Third match was against the roommate of John Morro from Toronto. Morro had won the DCC bank title already this year. This guy didnt know the game of bank pool at all and I won easily 3 to zip. I just never left him any shots. After the match he said he was going to make it a point to try and learn the game a little better.

Fourth match was against a good player from New Orleans, Mark Cavalier. Another photo finish, 3 to 2. Earl Strickland was on the next table jabbering and disturbing my match. I went over and told him to flush that bullshit into the toilet. He obliged. Mark played good and took the lead 2 to 1, needing one game for the match. I got a good shot and banked 5 and all the way out, to tie it at 2 games each. Final game Mark got to where he needed only 1 ball, but I forced a mistake and banked 3 and out to win it.

Had to play the next day, Sunday, and I have already chronicled that disaster. Monday, Danny Di, Billy Incardona and myself did out Old School Pool Seminar. Pat Fleming streamed the 3 hr show over the internet. I havent yet heard from anyone who watched it, how it looked computer-wise. Pat will send me a DVD copy when he gets back to New Jersey.

Awaiting DCC and the bank tourn August 4th at Red Shoes.

Beard

For those interested I have chronicled the 5 days I spent at Tunica. I had originally sent this out as an email to a friend that is on the forum here, but I figured it was a shame not to share it with other forum people who were unable to make it to Tunica.

Stayed 5 days at Tunica. The Harrahs site size is 7000 acres! 3 Hotels, golf course, exhibition hall, childrens play bldg., etc. Took my dog Kaiser with. Had a doctors note that cited he was a "therapy dog." That allows him access anywhere. Didnt factor in what we would do with him when we stopped to eat on the way down. 100 degree heat. Had to leave the A/C on with the motor running and eat fast. I still went out and checked on him every few minutes. Wont do that again in the summer season.

Won my first 4 matches which took me into the 6th round. Played pretty solid the first few days. But I woke up Sunday morning and knew immediately that I wouldnt be able to play well. I had plenty of rest and didnt abuse myself in any way, I just went out of sorts.

I have chronic problems with my eyes not working together and sometimes they just seem to "collapse" and I become virtually helpless. That was the case Sunday. I lost 2 matches and I was eliminated. Warren Kiamco, the Filipino, had an easy time 3 to zip, even tho he missed the first 10 shots he took. I missed the first 20 I took. Once he realized I was a dead body he turned into a banking monster.

The last match I lost to Jim Griffith a Ky boy who I had previously beat in Chicago, 23 to 6. Even practicing before the matches I could see that I couldnt make a ball and was basically helpless. I lost 3 to 1.

My first match was against Anthony Short, dont know him. He played ok tho. Went down to the last game and I had to bank 4 and out to leave him needing one ball to win it.

Next match was with Tony Fargo Ferguson, who was at one time the best banker in the world. That went down to the last ball and I outmoved him and won the match. With 1 ball on the table Tony attempting to play a soft safety, flinched and double hit the cue ball. It wasnt a flagrant foul but it was still a foul. I called it on him, he grumbled but paid off the foul. After he lost he threw a cursing fit and then flew out the door. After the match two guys came up and verified that they had seen him foul the ball. No one would volunteer that decision however, when we were debating the foul.

Fargo sent word back the next day and apologized for his behavior at the end of the match. It turns out he has had a difficult time of it lately back home with the passing of his mother and other things.

Third match was against the roommate of John Morro from Toronto. Morro had won the DCC bank title already this year. This guy didnt know the game of bank pool at all and I won easily 3 to zip. I just never left him any shots. After the match he said he was going to make it a point to try and learn the game a little better.

Fourth match was against a good player from New Orleans, Mark Cavalier. Another photo finish, 3 to 2. Earl Strickland was on the next table jabbering and disturbing my match. I went over and told him to flush that bullshit into the toilet. He obliged. Mark played good and took the lead 2 to 1, needing one game for the match. I got a good shot and banked 5 and all the way out, to tie it at 2 games each. Final game Mark got to where he needed only 1 ball, but I forced a mistake and banked 3 and out to win it.

Had to play the next day, Sunday, and I have already chronicled that disaster. Monday, Danny Di, Billy Incardona and myself did out Old School Pool Seminar. Pat Fleming streamed the 3 hr show over the internet. I havent yet heard from anyone who watched it, how it looked computer-wise. Pat will send me a DVD copy when he gets back to New Jersey.

Awaiting DCC and the bank tourn August 4th at Red Shoes.

Beard

Very impressive, Freddy. Congratulations to you !:cool:

Clare

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

I was sitting there watching that match at the side of the table when Tony made the foul. However, I did not see it. I was looking at the object ball, and Tony I believe was blocking my view of the CB.

But why I know he made the foul is because of this: if the guy didn't make the foul he never would have acquiesced to the penalty. If it had been me in a similar situation, and I knew that I hadn't fouled, I would have argued to kingdom come about the contention. Tony really didn't argue.

Hell, even in a minor infraction foul you're lucky if a guy admits it, because without a referee there, it's your word against his, and it most generally goes in favor of the shooter.

So if Tony hadn't believed he'd fouled, there's no way in hell that he would have submitted to the call.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I was sitting there watching that match at the side of the table when Tony made the foul. However, I did not see it. I was looking at the object ball, and Tony I believe was blocking my view of the CB.

But why I know he made the foul is because of this: if the guy didn't make the foul he never would have acquiesced to the penalty. If it had been me in a similar situation, and I knew that I hadn't fouled, I would have argued to kingdom come about the contention. Tony really didn't argue.

Hell, even in a minor infraction foul you're lucky if a guy admits it, because without a referee there, it's your word against his, and it most generally goes in favor of the shooter.

So if Tony hadn't believed he'd fouled, there's no way in hell that he would have submitted to the call.

Doc

Ironically, you should remember that earlier in the match I did the exact same thing, I flinched on a touchy safety and didnt get a rail. Tony didnt see it, nobody did, but I called the foul on myself. Probably the first time in my life I ever did that.
You do recall that two people came over after the match and verified that he fouled.

Beard

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Great report Freddie. I just hope to one day do better than two and out. I too have 'old eyes' problems. Just got a new 'script but have not gotten the new lenses yet. Maybe they will help. Ya done good for an old fart! :)

Later, Pel

Deeman

Verified Member
Ironically, you should remember that earlier in the match I did the exact same thing, I flinched on a touchy safety and didnt get a rail. Tony didnt see it, nobody did, but I called the foul on myself. Probably the first time in my life I ever did that.
You do recall that two people came over after the match and verified that he fouled.

Beard

Freddie,

I was out smoking a cigarette when the foul happened but just have to say you played very well.

DeeMan