John Brumback Q &A

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John,

Thought I would start off by asking a few questions of ya!!!

1. How long have you been playing banks seriously?

2. How is it you came to playing banks so well... did you just always love banking balls, or did you find you played well naturally and just went with it?

3. What are your 3 most favorite games... most favorite 1st.

4. What games do you really dislike playing?

5. What tips can you give for someone looking to improve their bank game?

6. Do you practice much? Do you have particular drills or just bank the hell out of the balls?:D

7. Do you enjoy playing one pocket?

8. Which type of banks are the most difficult for you?

9. Who are the top 5 active bankers that your aware of, in your opinion?

10. Where do you think you are at, as far as reaching your potential? Do you think you have much to learn, or is it really just down to execution at this point?

Thanks!!!

Greg

John Brumback

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
John,

Thought I would start off by asking a few questions of ya!!!

1. How long have you been playing banks seriously?

25 years

2. How is it you came to playing banks so well... did you just always love banking balls, or did you find you played well naturally and just went with it?

To make $ Most of the action where I'm from was banks.
I got lucky and got to grow up within 60 miles of some of the best bankpool players in the world. Gary spaeth,Donnie Anderson,Truman houge,and a few others.
3. What are your 3 most favorite games... most favorite 1st.

Bankpool,Onepocket,10ball

4. What games do you really dislike playing?

9ball
5. What tips can you give for someone looking to improve their bank game?

alot of practice and playing with great players and watching really really close and asking alot of ?
6. Do you practice much? Do you have particular drills or just bank the hell out of the balls?:D

2 or 3 hours a day for 2 or 3 months before a big tourny or game.I practice hard and with a purpose.I don't just beat and bang balls around.And I don't play Jolly pool.
7. Do you enjoy playing one pocket?

I love to play onepocket

8. Which type of banks are the most difficult for you?

3 railers around the table...hate that shot
9. Who are the top 5 active bankers that your aware of, in your opinion?

I'll tell you that after the DCC

10. Where do you think you are at, as far as reaching your potential? Do you think you have much to learn, or is it really just down to execution at this point?

Good ? I think you can you can keep learning forever in banks and onepocket. That's one big reason I like these 2 games so much. Hope I have answerd your questions good enough.Thanks John B.
Thanks!!!

Greg
Why won't ths let me post

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
Why won't ths let me post
John,

When you "quote" a post and then alter it by putting your answers in it, the site does not count that as a "post" by you until you type at least 10 characters in the post box, as you were prompted to do.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
to quote or not to quote...that's the ? Thanks,John B.

I'm new to this as I'm sure you can tell.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

When you "quote" a post and then alter it by putting your answers in it, the site does not count that as a "post" by you until you type at least 10 characters in the post box, as you were prompted to do.

Dennis
OOOohh ok Thanks Cowboy.Think I'm getting it.

Ktown

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
OOOohh ok Thanks Cowboy.Think I'm getting it.
You are doin good bud, you look like you are having a little fun with this. I am glad you are getting involved here so some of the people here that don't know you get to know you a little.

You are more than just a pretty face huh?:)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
john how much do you bank bty "feel" vs a system or aiming point "spot on the wall or mirror system???

John Brumback

Verified Member
Ktown said:
You are doin good bud, you look like you are having a little fun with this. I am glad you are getting involved here so some of the people here that don't know you get to know you a little.

You are more than just a pretty face huh?:)
yeah, I'v been having a ball! Been on here all day. To cold to be working outside.I'm like Fatboy trying to improve my writing skills.But I don't plan on getting much better,so tell the english and spelling police to back off LOL
Thanks for the courage. John B.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lll said:
john how much do you bank bty "feel" vs a system or aiming point "spot on the wall or mirror system???
I'm going to go out on a limb here and take a guess -- if John aims by "feel", he sure must have a precise sense of feel, because I've never seen ANYBODY focus on a shot better than John does.

John Brumback

Verified Member
lll said:

I use certain techniques for different shots. As far as systems go...angle in same angle out pretty much. Speed plays a huge factor. Most of my banks have some kind of hold. It's hard for me to explain it in writing. But I could show you with a cue. but to answer your ? feel,hold,technique. Thanks

John B.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
John Brumback said:
I use certain techniques for different shots. As far as systems go...angle in same angle out pretty much. Speed plays a huge factor. Most of my banks have some kind of hold. It's hard for me to explain it in writing. But I could show you with a cue. but to answer your ? feel,hold,technique. Thanks

John B.
Question for you John. On most banks do you put a bit of outside english to get the object ball to pick up running english? I'm sure you do this on banks with more than one rail. But on the simple one rail banks do you try to hit center or do you help it with english? Banking is definitely a different animal that I have a hard time with.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Frank Almanza said:
Question for you John. On most banks do you put a bit of outside english to get the object ball to pick up running english? I'm sure you do this on banks with more than one rail. But on the simple one rail banks do you try to hit center or do you help it with english?

Very good question Frank.

- Ghost

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John,

Thanks very much for answering those questions so candidly. No talking in circles for you!:) I can't remember the last time someone answered 10 questions with actual answers to the questions.

It looks like you're getting the hang of this, feel free to ask any questions you have about the forum. I'm the resident IT geek here, I'm just a champion pool player on the side:D

I appreciate your offer to help me out at the Derby with my project. I look forward to seeing if you can threepeat at the Banks. I would be thrilled to see that happen!

John Brumback

Verified Member
Frank Almanza said:
Question for you John. On most banks do you put a bit of outside english to get the object ball to pick up running english? I'm sure you do this on banks with more than one rail. But on the simple one rail banks do you try to hit center or do you help it with english? Banking is definitely a different animal that I have a hard time with.

Hello Frank. Like I said in the other post,I hold most bank shots and that means that I use inside english on most straight shots. But it doesn't take much.Now when you get into crossing shots then it gets more complicated.But on just straight angle banks I hold em. Hope that helps.

John B.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John Brumback said:
Hello Frank. Like I said in the other post,I hold most bank shots and that means that I use inside english on most straight shots. But it doesn't take much.Now when you get into crossing shots then it gets more complicated.But on just straight angle banks I hold em. Hope that helps.

John B.

hmmmm... and here I am .. a guy that uses outside. If you can.. can you try to explain why you use a bit of inside? Has it got something to do with the speed you're hitting it at, it's easier to judge? We talking about a 1/2 tip or so? If you don't have to worry about position so much, would you be hitting just slightly below center or above?

John Brumback

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
hmmmm... and here I am .. a guy that uses outside. If you can.. can you try to explain why you use a bit of inside? Has it got something to do with the speed you're hitting it at, it's easier to judge? We talking about a 1/2 tip or so? If you don't have to worry about position so much, would you be hitting just slightly below center or above?[/QUOTE

I hold em with a half a tip or so with inside.I try to stay near the center of
the cue ball.Why would you use outside? I don't like drawing the cue ball unless it's an easy shot.Real easy.I'll show you at the DCC.It's hard to explain.
I wouldn't use outside unless I was crossing it and had to get the cueball out of the way.Hope that helps you. Thanks,John B.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Two questions John:

#1-Are you going to buy me a beer at DCC for my vote?

#2-Are you going to buy me a second one for all the good stuff I said about you on here?

#3-Are you going to buy me a third one just because?

Be careful on this site, all these guys on here that are being the nicest to you either:
A-Thought you were too young. :rolleyes: or
B-Voted for Nick :eek:

Congrats to being in the HOF and be careful about Truman at the dinner, he likes to pull pranks and you're a soft target.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
stevelomako said:
Be careful on this site, all these guys on here that are being the nicest to you either:
A-Thought you were too young. :rolleyes: or
B-Voted for Nick :eek:
Steve, you left out "c": those who didn't vote for a bank player for the HOF because we didn't know enough about them and didn't feel qualified to vote intelligently. That would be me.

Dennis

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Cowboy Dennis said:
Steve, you left out "c": those who didn't vote for a bank player for the HOF because we didn't know enough about them and didn't feel qualified to vote intelligently. That would be me.
Dennis

Well one problem you would have is: to vote intelligently you would need to be intelligent.