Do You Owe A Ball If You Don't Owe A Ball #2

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This original thread http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6785 was started because of all the do-gooders who said in this thread http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5095 that they had been ordained by God himself to point out to all of us lowlifes the evil things we do to the innocents we play. I first showed Ervolino fouling but nobody noticing (except him) http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5115 and not too many had a problem with it.

Now I've seen a newer situation where a player did not owe a ball but it was said that he did.

Here is the situation from my recent Martinez vs. Reyes thread :

Efren played a safety and Martinez jumped the edge of the 3 and pocketed the 11 ball. Note the score would now be 1-0 Martinez.

rm shot 0.jpg

He left himself here:

rm shot3.jpg

On his next shot he completely ignores the great advice of Co-Commentator Mark Wilson and shoots the 14/13 combo with draw and scratches in the corner nearest him.

rmscratch.jpg

The 11 ball should now spot up and the score should be 0-0 BUT that's not what happened. The referee put a coin on the table for the scratch:

coin.jpg

and then spotted up the 11 ball and nobody noticed.

11 ball.jpg

Kind of tough to win when fighting the opponent and the referee.

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Many times while watching streaming matches I have noticed mistakes in the score. Pool is just not organized yet. Someday they will have an official score keeper.

Cloidius

Verified Member
Well...

Well...

I can't really say this is surprising.

I always think refs should have a greater presence in pro events, but maybe not.

There are some videos of the 2014 us open... Where Ken is 1/2 commentating and 1/2 reffing. Stepping in to call the occasional hit is one thing, but he was all up in the sleeping and spotting of balls and warning players of 3 fouls. And then the next game he would step away.

It just felt weird.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
You would think if Martinez was watching and paying attention, he could have just said "why are you putting a coin on the table". This would have taken care of the problem right away.
It's hard to say without seeing how the coin was placed on the rail. Maybe it wasn't noticeable to either player?
Did the coin on the rail and the score card reflect the same score?
Just throwing out some scenarios since I didn't see the match.....

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
You would think if Martinez was watching and paying attentionHe just made a horribly dumb mistake, he may not have been looking even though it's his job., he could have just said "why are you putting a coin on the table". This would have taken care of the problem right away.
It's hard to say without seeing how the coin was placed on the rail Ken fumbled around in his pocket to find a coin before placing it on the rail. Maybe it wasn't noticeable to either player?This would be a first.
Did the coin on the rail and the score card reflect the same score?No
Just throwing out some scenarios since I didn't see the match.....

The on-screen scoreboard showed 0-0 but it's often wrong also and/or not updated immediately. Five people made errors here. The two players, the ref, and two commentators.

Mostly it was on Martinez to question why the coin was put by his pocket but I think he was recovering from his shot.

Dennis