Learning “Cheap” from the Hacker and People of His Speed

Wayne

Verified Member
I am very fortunate to play in a room where there are lots of players who play one pocket. There are about 25 to 30 players I match up with. I play a few players even and spot everyone else. The spots range from 9-7 to 13-4 and the breaks.

The amount I play for is dependent on who is in the place to play. The bets generally a high of $500 race to 4, low race to 3 for $30 and time, lowest by the game is $20.

It all depends on who is there when I show up. I play the higher action if I can. If only a low action player is there then I play him (or her).

I absolutely hate sitting around watching so any game is better than no game.

A few times over the years I get games where I have won thousands but those are rare.

About once every 20 visits I don't get into action because everyone is already in action or no one to play.

Wayne

u12armresl

Verified Member
There is a very fine line between "learning" "getting a cheap lesson" and being an ATM to the entire pool room.

Also to a lesser player vs a ball runner, games can go very fast. Sure people say 50 a game is nothing, but when it hits 7-10 games within a few hours it adds up. Multiply that times however many days in a month you play at the hall, and you will see it's a lot.

I played Danny 12-5 and 13-6 got torched both times. Of course he can run as many balls as he needs to run, and my 5 or 6 really only showed up on my break as he hadn't played anyone who broke from the side before.

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
There is a very fine line between "learning" "getting a cheap lesson" and being an ATM to the entire pool room.

Also to a lesser player vs a ball runner, games can go very fast. Sure people say 50 a game is nothing, but when it hits 7-10 games within a few hours it adds up. Multiply that times however many days in a month you play at the hall, and you will see it's a lot.

I played Danny 12-5 and 13-6 got torched both times. Of course he can run as many balls as he needs to run, and my 5 or 6 really only showed up on my break as he hadn't played anyone who broke from the side before.

I agree with you. However, at a certain skill level, especially if you work for a living rather than play pool all the time, I think it is hard to improve significantly without an "action gun" to your head that is held by a better player...it seems like to me.

From what it sounds like here, I am in a good situation where a VERY sporty player is willing to offer a spot to me where I am taking SLIGHTLY the worst of it, and he is willing to play at cheaper stakes. My willingness to take the worst of it, is only for games where I think I would get something out of the experience--basically where I am playing a player that is an open / road player.

I would not take the worst of it playing cheap with a similarly skilled player.

kollegedave

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
most of the A+ players can easily give out 10 to 4 and such. but they dont as its a tougher game and they dont really know what they can and cannot spot a weaker player. thats why they dont get action.

the weaker players that want way too much are still usually going to lose with what they ask for but are not worth playing anyway.

if you always play your true speed soon everyone gets a good idea of what they need to win against you. that is fine if you like to play cheap or for fun. if you want to play for decent money you have to have deceived your players enough so they think they have a good game when they dont. you cant blame weak players for not giving action when all they see in their mind is you running out.

learn to stall and keep every game close even if it means you lose it. they will lose more money to you, and others will play you as they compare that game to the one they are going to make or you offer.
Also when they have you in deep trouble don't snatch that game away from them. Let them know they deserved it.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I just played some guy in Huntsville that said he loved 1P but would only play 10 a game. He lost two games and quit.

Miller played me all day for 5 per. If you want to learn something I've played plenty of guys cheap. I love 1P and I have a job so I like to enjoy the game

oh no....don't tell superdave that....he lets me off much cheaper....
;)

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
A person that truly loves the game shares their knowledge freely, and will play you simply to play the game. These individuals are somewhat rare, but they are out there.
Cheap games or sets are ok too. It can put a little added pressure and excitement into it.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I am very fortunate to play in a room where there are lots of players who play one pocket. There are about 25 to 30 players I match up with. I play a few players even and spot everyone else. The spots range from 9-7 to 13-4 and the breaks.

The amount I play for is dependent on who is in the place to play. The bets generally a high of $500 race to 4, low race to 3 for $30 and time, lowest by the game is $20.

It all depends on who is there when I show up. I play the higher action if I can. If only a low action player is there then I play him (or her).

I absolutely hate sitting around watching so any game is better than no game.

A few times over the years I get games where I have won thousands but those are rare.

About once every 20 visits I don't get into action because everyone is already in action or no one to play.

Wayne

Sounds like you must be giving up a fair game to most or all you play, otherwise the 25/30 player pool would shrink considerably. From what I gather from your posts and others, you are a good one pocket player. I don't know your age or financial status, whether you have a job or are retired, but I would assume you do come out on the positive side of more matches than the negative side.

This would be an ideal situation for someone with money, independent of the mundane task of having to earn a living at a workplace or from winnings at the poolroom. I happen to know someone who fits this exact description, and he's a very nice fellow who will play almost anybody for almost any amount. He is always willing to share his vast knowledge of the game and never complains if he loses. This gentleman plays everyday, maybe not for more than 3/4 hours, but every weekday and sometimes on the weekend. He gets action because of the games he makes and his pleasant demeanor, both on and off the table. He is a credit to the game. His name is Rodney, you know him as Androd.

I don't know you Wayne, but you sound like you might be cut from the same bolt of cloth. If ever I get the chance, I would like to play you a few games.

Jeff

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
someone with money, independent of the mundane task of having to earn a living at a workplace or from winnings at the poolroom. I happen to know someone who fits this exact description, and he's a very nice fellow who will play almost anybody for almost any amount. He is always willing to share his vast knowledge of the game and never complains if he loses. This gentleman plays everyday, maybe not for more than 3/4 hours, but every weekday and sometimes on the weekend. He gets action because of the games he makes and his pleasant demeanor, both on and off the table. He is a credit to the game. His name is Rodney, you know him as Androd.

I'll be damned. I had Rodney figured for a broke prick. He won't even let me bring my iguana when I stay at his house for the SSC, even after I told him my kids and dogs behave better when Iggy is around. :heh

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I'll be damned. I had Rodney figured for a broke prick. He won't even let me bring my iguana when I stay at his house for the SSC, even after I told him my kids and dogs behave better when Iggy is around. :heh

Does Rod know about your 'alter' ???? Let's hope he doesn't manifest during your stay. You know. Old LSD John...Gulp..

keoneyo

Verified Member
Sounds like you must be giving up a fair game to most or all you play, otherwise the 25/30 player pool would shrink considerably. From what I gather from your posts and others, you are a good one pocket player. I don't know your age or financial status, whether you have a job or are retired, but I would assume you do come out on the positive side of more matches than the negative side.

This would be an ideal situation for someone with money, independent of the mundane task of having to earn a living at a workplace or from winnings at the poolroom. I happen to know someone who fits this exact description, and he's a very nice fellow who will play almost anybody for almost any amount. He is always willing to share his vast knowledge of the game and never complains if he loses. This gentleman plays everyday, maybe not for more than 3/4 hours, but every weekday and sometimes on the weekend. He gets action because of the games he makes and his pleasant demeanor, both on and off the table. He is a credit to the game. His name is Rodney, you know him as Androd.

I don't know you Wayne, but you sound like you might be cut from the same bolt of cloth. If ever I get the chance, I would like to play you a few games.

Jeff

Wayne did not start the game until later in life. Not to where his skill level is supposed to be. He already had a grown daughter when he first started playing. He works hard at his game. The best competition Ive ever had is with him when I was younger. He never gives up and shoots to win.
Even though we are good friends we have our differences. Particularly in shot selection. But he doesn't miss when he shoots for his hole so what can you tell a guy like that.
Wayne plays me 10/6 and is usually on the winning end. But I caught him playing a guy my speed giving him 12/5 and the breaks. When I went up to him and asked why he was giving up that ridiculous spot Wayne said-"He wont play if I don't". Needless to say that guy doesn't play Wayne anymore because we all got tired of hearing him whine losing with that spot. He wouldn't dare ask for 13/5. But Wayne would probably give it to him just to get into action.
Don't get me wrong. He loses his fair share. But never whines and comes back the next day and willing to try the same game again. A great standard for the pool hall.
A nice guy but don't get me wrong. Do not eff with him. He comes from the coldest part of Canada and has ice water in his veins as well.:)

PS I just remembered. Brooklyn Butch used to call Wayne, Clark Kent. Mild mannered and unassuming. But could turn into Superman any minute.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I happen to know someone who fits this exact description, and he's a very nice fellow who will play almost anybody for almost any amount. He is always willing to share his vast knowledge of the game and never complains if he loses. This gentleman plays everyday, maybe not for more than 3/4 hours, but every weekday and sometimes on the weekend. He gets action because of the games he makes and his pleasant demeanor, both on and off the table. He is a credit to the game. His name is Rodney, you know him as Androd.

Jeff

Very nice of you to say Jeff.
Just because I'll play you for any amount, doesn't mean I'll do it with anyone. :):p:D

bstroud

Verified Member
If anyone wants to come and play at my home in NM, they are welcome.

Bet what you want or simply learn.

Bill S.

bstroud

Verified Member
I know you can't make it, but would love to see you at the Super Seniors Classic.

If I didn't love my wife and my dog so much I would be there.

I know you will all have a great time.

I spend most of my time on practice and beating the 10 ball ghost. No one to play with ever.

Bill S.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
A person that truly loves the game shares their knowledge freely, and will play you simply to play the game. These individuals are somewhat rare, but they are out there.

A few of those guys are around.

BTW, how they hangin', Sheldon? Long time no talk.

Lou Figueroa