Make It Happen....it's on

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
PLAYERS
Reyes.... This man never ceases to amaze us, he's simply the best ever. Even at his age he's one of the favorites to win this event:heh Don't pass up the opportunity to watch the best ever, you never know when you'll have another opportunity. June2nd thru June5th.

VanBoening....Former U.S. Open champion and winner of the Make It Happen One Pocket event on the 5x10. VanBoening is the type of player that can win any one pocket event, he just rises to the occasion when asked to. Though not his best game he's a threat to win any one pocket tournament purely based on his ball striking ability.

Chohan...Tony Chohan has been playing some of the best one pocket that can be played for over a year now. There are many who believe that Chohan is the best player in the world today and he has an opportunity to show us that their right. Chohan is a very aggressive player who banks as good as any one. His ball running ability is up there with the best..think Frost..Pagulayan..He has a great touch for such a big man with a level of confidence second to none. A very creative player and the one to watch.:D

Pagulayan
....Of course we have the best player in the world, Pagulayan has proven in the past 5 years that he's the player to beat, his pool IQ is as high as any player playing today. His ball striking ability is as good as there is. His will to win is also way..way up there and if he's prepared to play he will be very difficult to beat.:eek:

Smith...Danny Smith is creative, exciting, unpredictable, and simply very hard to beat. Can he win this event? Yes, but he'll have to play his best game in 80% of his matches. Danny's top speed is as high as any one's and when he's clicking he's unbeatable..ask Tony Chohan.:D I love watching Danny play, there's always something to learn playing one pocket and you can usually pick up things watching this great mind at the table. Don't miss the Chohan/Smith match in this event, and don't tune in late, it could be over by then.:sorry

Jones...Jeremy Jones imo is the most knowledgeable player in the world today of all the top players. His ball striking is excellent as his banking skills are as well[. Jeremy isn't the type of player that will give you things that are not earned, and after your match with him is concluded you are going to be simply "worn out" Jeremy will look to extend games especially playing the more aggressive players like Smith and Chohan. It's usually the more aggressive players that have the least amount of patience, Smith and Chohan's patience will be tested going against a master of the game in Jones. Don't miss his matches, it's a learning experience for any one.

I believe that the line up we have for this years event will be great for excitement and the competitive nature of all the players are as high as it can be..period. All six players play hard, face off adversity as well as any players on earth, and want to win this event badly. The Make It Happen events have evolved into a special competition for the players, particularly the one pocket events. Imo the Make It Happen one pocket events are the most prestigious of all the one pocket events played today from a players stand point. Every match could be a finals match in any one pocket tournament. We have the ability to bring to you 15 matches of finals potential plus the 16th match between the top two players that will decide who is "arguably" the best one pocket player in the world today. Do us and yourself a favor and tune in.:)

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
Does Scott Frost have other commitments at this time?
Or did he not get enough votes to get into the mix?
I know it seems his game is a lil off the last year or so, just curious why he was left out?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Does Scott Frost have other commitments at this time?
Or did he not get enough votes to get into the mix?
I know it seems his game is a lil off the last year or so, just curious why he was left out?

Scott didn't get the votes required to be chosen. He needs to play better in tournaments imo, he certainly has the game to compete he has to prove it.

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Excellent Summary as usual, Dr Bill. I agree this should be fantastic!! Why do you think that the freezer was "put on ice" for this years event? I know that it's done by a vote but even then? Maybe people feel like they know Scotts 1p game very well and just want to see new blood?? It's interesting and I know he was bummed.

Lastly- I'd love another match this year 😊. For some cheese too if you like. Although playing you last year with Frost on one rail and SVB on the other will likely be hard to top!! But I'm game 👍

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
What a great event!

I am just so sad that I live in the bad part of the country for one hole tourneys :frus -- as I would love to attend and see some live action and maybe partake in some side action myself hehe..

Oh well, there's always the derby in like 7 months to look forward to. :)

By the way, seems like you get an awful lot for the $300 package:

Package Details

Thanks for the heads up Dr. Bill ~

bernie p

Verified Member
Nice breakdown Bill...

For me , this event has become one of the IP highlights of the year (I am prepaid and will be glued to the screen :D).

This year, I do not see a particular outright favorite, specifically because of the relatively short races to 3. Stamina may play a slight role in the over 45 (semi geezer) players :eek:, especially in the latter rounds.

I'll be curious to see if the most aggressive players (Chohan, Smith) are willing to gamble on their high end risk/reward strategy that you might see more of in an "ahead set", or if they might display a little more patience associated with a race to 3 format.

I will reserve picking a winner (unless you want to P.M. me for a little private sweat bet :p)

Btw, I will be "warming up" Efren this weekend at Hardtimes L.A......so I will try (or not try ;)) to not wear him out for the following week....:lol

Bernie.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
The Sweet Tooth Story

The Sweet Tooth Story

Scott didn't get the votes required to be chosen. He needs to play better in tournaments imo, he certainly has the game to compete he has to prove it.

Dr. Bill

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona

Dr. Bill

Thanks for the info...
Scott seems to do better in gambling matches than he does in tournies.
I know he has an aggressive style, maybe that is not good for short race formats.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Great Deal !

Great Deal !

Punched my ticket today. I am going to be extra nice to my wife between now and tournament time. I would like to attend rather than watch online.

Too good of a package for me to pass up. Also, get to listen to Billy's analysis. Usually agree with him.

I also learn watching shots that seem to come from nowhere. Danny Smith has quite the imagination.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Punched my ticket today. I am going to be extra nice to my wife between now and tournament time. I would like to attend rather than watch online.

Too good of a package for me to pass up. Also, get to listen to Billy's analysis. Usually agree with him.

I also learn watching shots that seem to come from nowhere. Danny Smith has quite the imagination.

I should be there on Sunday, Bob. I would love to get together and play some if you like. We can play for nothing or something. Doesn't matter to me. I just love to play 1p. Especially with another 1P.org guy! Lmk. Mitch

Last edited:

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
While I was initially disappointed not to see Scott, this field is fantastic. In a Race to 3, it would would be easy to go broke trying to pick a winner in each match.

Pat is just getting his DCC videos out, getting 1/2 off is a great deal and extends until the end of the year! Couple that with these matches on DVD, Stream and live tickets, sponsoring is a great deal.

Timing is tough for me to get to NJ, but I look forward to watching.

Thanks for the analysis Dr. Bill!

Phil

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
great review of the players dr. bill
cant wait for the stream
i like tony as the one who could be the surprise? winner
for sure alex is the favorite
alex back was hurting him in the last one and he didnt play up to his standards
the fact he played shows his heart

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Dr. Bill, that was a good breakdown of the main players in the event. I think the great movers will prevail in the end. Interesting how Scott has slid in the publics view as one of the top players around.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Interesting story from Scott. I know Tony Bologna pretty well. He's a former runner up in the Canadian Snooker Championship and is French Canadian but has lived in Florida for years. The pool hall Scott described fits Downtown Billiards in Ocala which is one of Tony's hangouts but I don't know if that is what he meant. This just in... with the help of Google, I discovered that Downtown Billiards used to be Big Daddy's Billiards.

Tony and I have talked about his big go off to Scott and Ronnie but he says it wasn't as much as has been claimed but it was still a lot of money. If you're ever passing through Ocala, look up Tony at Downtown Billiards right on the downtown square or Boulevard Billiards on HWY 40 on the East side. He'll be glad to talk to you if he's there. He spends a lot of time at his condo on Clearwater Beach lately.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Dr. Bill, that was a good breakdown of the main players in the event. I think the great movers will prevail in the end. Interesting how Scott has slid in the publics view as one of the top players around.

Skill wise he is still one of the best, I think, but he should take the example of an Efren when it comes to humility and graciousness. Complaining about the prize money when he could be gambling for cheese in Vegas or telling an opponent "I always beat you when we gamble but not in a tournament" is wasted energy and not productive.

An event like this is a labor of love for most. All should work together to make it happen for a greater purpose. This is my 5th time participating. Every cent is worth it to have added to the history of a great game.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
PLAYERS
Reyes.... This man never ceases to amaze us, he's simply the best ever. Even at his age he's one of the favorites to win this event:heh Don't pass up the opportunity to watch the best ever, you never know when you'll have another opportunity. June2nd thru June5th.

VanBoening....Former U.S. Open champion and winner of the Make It Happen One Pocket event on the 5x10. VanBoening is the type of player that can win any one pocket event, he just rises to the occasion when asked to. Though not his best game he's a threat to win any one pocket tournament purely based on his ball striking ability.

Chohan...Tony Chohan has been playing some of the best one pocket that can be played for over a year now. There are many who believe that Chohan is the best player in the world today and he has an opportunity to show us that their right. Chohan is a very aggressive player who banks as good as any one. His ball running ability is up there with the best..think Frost..Pagulayan..He has a great touch for such a big man with a level of confidence second to none. A very creative player and the one to watch.:D

Pagulayan
....Of course we have the best player in the world, Pagulayan has proven in the past 5 years that he's the player to beat, his pool IQ is as high as any player playing today. His ball striking ability is as good as there is. His will to win is also way..way up there and if he's prepared to play he will be very difficult to beat.:eek:

Smith...Danny Smith is creative, exciting, unpredictable, and simply very hard to beat. Can he win this event? Yes, but he'll have to play his best game in 80% of his matches. Danny's top speed is as high as any one's and when he's clicking he's unbeatable..ask Tony Chohan.:D I love watching Danny play, there's always something to learn playing one pocket and you can usually pick up things watching this great mind at the table. Don't miss the Chohan/Smith match in this event, and don't tune in late, it could be over by then.:sorry

Jones...Jeremy Jones imo is the most knowledgeable player in the world today of all the top players. His ball striking is excellent as his banking skills are as well[. Jeremy isn't the type of player that will give you things that are not earned, and after your match with him is concluded you are going to be simply "worn out" Jeremy will look to extend games especially playing the more aggressive players like Smith and Chohan. It's usually the more aggressive players that have the least amount of patience, Smith and Chohan's patience will be tested going against a master of the game in Jones. Don't miss his matches, it's a learning experience for any one.

I believe that the line up we have for this years event will be great for excitement and the competitive nature of all the players are as high as it can be..period. All six players play hard, face off adversity as well as any players on earth, and want to win this event badly. The Make It Happen events have evolved into a special competition for the players, particularly the one pocket events. Imo the Make It Happen one pocket events are the most prestigious of all the one pocket events played today from a players stand point. Every match could be a finals match in any one pocket tournament. We have the ability to bring to you 15 matches of finals potential plus the 16th match between the top two players that will decide who is "arguably" the best one pocket player in the world today. Do us and yourself a favor and tune in.:)

Dr. Bill

This is going to be a fantastic two weeks of one pocket starting with the Buffalo's event then the Make It Happen event, can't wait. VanBoening is the only player in the Make It Happen event that's not playing in New Orleans I think that will hurt his chances slightly but probably not considering his tournament record. However, we will get to see how well all the top players that were chosen for the Make It Happen event do in New Orleans giving us some indication on who's ready and prepared and who's not. I expect to see all the players that are playing in both events to be ready, especially the one's that are in both events.

My pick for the top three in both events.

Buffalo's

#1. Pagulayan
#2. Frost
#3. Chohan

Make It Happen

#1. Pagulayan
#2. Reyes
#3. Jones

I like Pagulayan in both events especially in Buffalo's where the race is to five both on the winners side and losers side. I believe that the Buffalo's tournament will benefit Pagulayan more than any other player that is playing in New Jersey. Pagulayan if he has any weaknesses it's not being ready going into tournaments, if that's the case here the longer race will benefit him giving him the additional time to get his game back, and in the past it has proven that that's all that's needed for him to get back.:D I have a suspicion that he will be ready.:heh

I'm picking Frost to finish second in this event, I did mention that Frost doesn't play well in tournaments but this is a "pool room" environment played in the pool room which imo will make a difference in his mindset. Frost should and will play well at Buffalo's, he'll be very tough to beat.:heh

I also think Reyes will do well in New Jersey, the race to three is a format that he excels at. Jones may surprise people in New Jersey because he has the game to benefit from the shorter race, his style is better suited for a shorter race in terms of not having to change his shot selection as much as the more aggressive players may want to.

Any ways, i'm just having a little fun picking the top three in both events, who's yours?

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Great picks Dr. Bill!

If we are just having fun with some guesses, I will go with:

Buffalo's

#1. Pagulayan
#2. Deuel
#3. Frost

Make It Happen

#1. Pagulayan
#2. SVB
#3. Reyes

keoneyo

Verified Member
Thanks for the input Dr Bill. I dont think the long game is too bad for Efren. He sometimes seems to get stronger and stronger, weakening his opponents by putting them in difficult situations.
I thought after Danny Smith beat him in the last MIH he had run down Smith so much that he couldnt beat Justin Hall in his next match and eventually lost to Efren in the finals.
Efren just gives you such a tough battle that over a period of time it just puts you on tilt.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thanks for the input Dr Bill. I dont think the long game is too bad for Efren. He sometimes seems to get stronger and stronger, weakening his opponents by putting them in difficult situations.
I thought after Danny Smith beat him in the last MIH he had run down Smith so much that he couldnt beat Justin Hall in his next match and eventually lost to Efren in the finals.
Efren just gives you such a tough battle that over a period of time it just puts you on tilt.
You may be right about Reyes playing hard and wearing down his opponent, however, the Make It Happen events are a race to 3 and each player only plays once a day, much easier schedule to manage for a player. Reyes is in his 60's now and not in the greatest of health and for that reason I don't like his chances in Buffalo's nearly as much as in Nj. I hope im wrong and he plays a strong tournament, that would make a lot of people happy.

Dr. Bill