: 2014 US Open One Pocket Championship Matches Released on YouTube -

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Match #1: Shane Van Boening vs Justin Bergman
Match #2: Corey Deuel vs Dennis Orcollo (Hot Seat Match)
Match #3: Shane Van Boening vs Corey Deuel (Semi-Final)
Match #4: Shane Van Boening vs Dennis Orcollo (Final)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdCfnbGD70QUa2w4eDKp6IeYb2WrjpbP1

We were discussing earlier getting some younger guys in the booth to do some commentating. Brian Butler did a good job on these. Living in Canada, he may not often be available, but I'd like to hear more from him.

Deeman

Verified Member
Geeez! The finals with Dennis and Shane made me feel almost sorry for both of them in many of their shots, shot selections and general play. Although both world beaters and most likely immune from stage fright, they appeared to be both trying hand the games away!

I know you, on oaasaion, have one player hit the skids in a final but really both men must have been dog tired or otherwise preoccupied during much of this match-up. As well, the almost endless game lengths may have even put Artie to sleep! :)

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
i just watched the dennis/corey match, those 2 guys need a shot clock!!!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes, the tourney staff has a real problem with slow play when it drags matches out like some did the last couple years at the US Open. I do think a 45 second shot clock with some extensions available should be okay, and I would advocate it for events like that, that need to stick close to a schedule.

The way Accustats has been doing it on their TV table is the official calls for the extension when the player's time expires, so they do not forfeit their shot -- unless -- they have already used up all of their extensions, in which case they would forfeit their shot. I have yet to see that happen, although I assume it has.

The US Open One Pocket has been held the last few years meshed into multi-discipline events like 8-ball and 10-ball, on a limited number of tables. Holding the tournament like that probably has some advantages, but it does invite schedule issues. Apparently 8-ball and the rotation games are more predictable.