sliding the rail

tradr48

In pro bank pool, isn't a ball allowed to slide or walk the rail on its' way to the pocket? My local tavern has a rule in eight ball that the ball can't touch anything in a bank but can during a regular shot. I thought that was very unusual and wondered if any of the sanctioned(VNEA, APA, etc) leagues have a rule like that. Thanks.

John Brumback

Verified Member
In pro bank pool, isn't a ball allowed to slide or walk the rail on its' way to the pocket? My local tavern has a rule in eight ball that the ball can't touch anything in a bank but can during a regular shot. I thought that was very unusual and wondered if any of the sanctioned(VNEA, APA, etc) leagues have a rule like that. Thanks.

Yep... that might be the dumbest rule I have ever heard of:eek::lol

That can only lead to lots of arguments.

Here's a perfect example of the real bank pool rule...say you are shooting a length of table one rail bank shot....If the oball goes off the side pocket point,( either side pocket point) the shot is still good.

All you have to call is how may rails and where at. What it does while entering the pocket does not matter. Hope all this helps. John B.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Nits

Nits

I remember years ago when this type of thinking started surfacing, always in a bar room, and usually by a local hot shot player....that thought because of this he'd be able to still hold the table, and give his ego the fix it needed. BUT a good player because of this nitty rule was in control waaaaaaaaaaaay better than just a normal game. It's called ''incidentals''. I've been in a situation where you actually had to call how many times the object ball contacted the pocket facing if it rattled :lol.
Anything to win comes to mind.

tradr48

bank rules

bank rules

Thanks to all who replied! Coming from John Brumback, I'll take that to the banks:heh