View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Verified Member

Of all allies, who knew it would be me

Look, one pocket is a beautiful game. I can appreciate a player who first sees, then executes a good intentional to strengthen his position.

The problem is, let's just use an example so we can visualize something, a player bunts the cue ball two inches and freezes on a ball. Great shot! His opponent is trapped now. But, in my opinion, when I mentioned how beautiful a game one pocket was before, the only more beautiful thing would be if that player had to do that shot but legally.

Guys are also able to get out of traps way too easy with fouls. It really lessens the value of traps! This is why you see great players always trying to scrape balls in, because strong moving/ball positions are minimized by the ability to take scratches. I think what would happen if we used this rule, is traps would be much more likey to result in open shots, which I know everyone in here would like that. That may also result in faster games, but we'd have to try it to know of course.

On a more personal note, I have always completely loathed the flying balls off the table purposefully shots, and the following the cue ball in behind the ob shots. I have not had as much a problem with standard intentionals, but I definitely see the point here. Why make a "gutter ball" of a shot an advantage?!