The "BooK"

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Here's an update on my soon to be released book. I had hoped to have it out by this time but that was quite naïve of me. Here I thought I could send the book to my editor: he would look it over and make numerous corrections and get it back to me. I would rework the book and send it back a second time so he could double check the work, and that would be it. Wa-La! Off to the printer! Not so fast Batman... lots of work left to do. More corrections. More material. Change this and rework that. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. I've been at this project for well over a year now and I'm not about to f**K it up just because I'm anxious to get it out there.

And let me tell you something most of you already know but I didn't. At least I didn't understand its true value. Having a good editor is as important as knowing the information or story line you choose for a book. We all know that old lawyer phrase about defending yourself in a court of law is having a fool for a client. Well, the same is true about editing for yourself. Ferr-getit!

So, I spent four and a half hours with my editor today going over every detail of the book, and I have plenty of corrections and rephrasing to do. I will be busy at this here 'muter for a week or two. Then it goes back to the guru editor so he can tear it apart and put it back together again. And then, maybe one or two more time until we have it like Goldilocks, just right!

I'm glad I'm not the sensitive type and can accept well intentioned criticism without too much pain.

Thanks for your patience.
I know it will be worth (or should I say "Wirth") the wait.:)

Tom

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Good for you for doing it right. Thanks for sharing your knowledge....tap tap.
The line is forming. We are waiting.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
The "BooK"

Great news, Tom. "The wise man is he who knows when to ask questions!'" We can wait. Hell.... I've played 1p games longer than this :)

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Waiting expectantly

Waiting expectantly

Take your time, I expect this will become "The Book" on One Pocket.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Here's an update on my soon to be released book. I had hoped to have it out by this time but that was quite naïve of me. Here I thought I could send the book to my editor: he would look it over and make numerous corrections and get it back to me. I would rework the book and send it back a second time so he could double check the work, and that would be it. Wa-La! Off to the printer! Not so fast Batman... lots of work left to do. More corrections. More material. Change this and rework that. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. I've been at this project for well over a year now and I'm not about to f**K it up just because I'm anxious to get it out there.

And let me tell you something most of you already know but I didn't. At least I didn't understand its true value. Having a good editor is as important as knowing the information or story line you choose for a book. We all know that old lawyer phrase about defending yourself in a court of law is having a fool for a client. Well, the same is true about editing for yourself. Ferr-getit!

So, I spent four and a half hours with my editor today going over every detail of the book, and I have plenty of corrections and rephrasing to do. I will be busy at this here 'muter for a week or two. Then it goes back to the guru editor so he can tear it apart and put it back together again. And then, maybe one or two more time until we have it like Goldilocks, just right!

I'm glad I'm not the sensitive type and can accept well intentioned criticism without too much pain.

Tom
your efforts to only release it when its right will definitely make it worth/wirth the wait ......:)
p.s having had the privilege to get a preview look at the book i will say the contents will make it worth it.........:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
The "BooK"

your efforts to only release it when its right will definitely make it worth/wirth the wait ......:)

p.s having had the privilege to get a preview look at the book i will say the contents will make it worth it.........:)

I agree Larry. I was lucky enough to get a peek at the book and I think the folks here will LOVE it. It is not a book for beginners, but for people who know One pocket already and are looking for more advanced knowledge and, more importantly, Concepts, which will make them (me) stronger in the game. Just my $US.02.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
It is not a book for beginners.

Beginners should start with the Author in person. Learn basics, theory, strategy, comments ...you name it. Anyone living near Tom and wants to learn(or improve) this is an amazing opportunity to get started. Learn from a classy player that knows how to teach.
As far as not a book for beginners.....anything learned is valuable....therefor buy a copy...beg, borrow or steal ....get one when it becomes available. Tom is not mass producing his book. X amount of copies will be printed.

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
Im envious of those who had a peek. Might you not give us a preview of the contents page?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
hey tom....

looking forward to it as well.

i doubt if the rest of us can even begin to comprehend how big of an undertaking such an endeavor must be. its worth taking the amount of time required (whatever that may be) to get it perfect.

and don't forget to take some time off for yourself as well whenever you need it!

just think about how rewarding it will be when that time comes....:)

dustin
:)

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I will say this - I had a long look at the early draft at our dinner at Derby City and the layout, diagrams, pictures and explanations looked right on. Like some folks have said, it is a fairly academic work that fleshes out some heady and strategic concepts. I also liked that it was spiral bound so that if you took a notion, you could break it out at your local pool room and lay it on the table.

I collect books on pool and billiards and I look for this to become the premiere work on the subject, light years beyond the sophomoric treatment in Koehler's book and more comprehensive than the some of the (admittedly famous) circus shots recorded in "Shots, Moves and Strategies."

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I had a preview at DCC too -- and it looks great!! In truth, all members of OnePocket.org who have been regular readers of the forum have had a little peek because of Tom's valuable input into the WWYD's here :D:D

crazysnake

Verified Member
The "BooK"

Tom
Don't forget me Mr. Wirth. I'm looking forward to getting a copy of your book. I know Sterling has not contacted you. The weather has been a bit rough up here so, I've not been able to get back to the pool room. I think I may have to get you on the wire myself in order to connect with Sterling -quite possibly this Friday, if I catch him.
Best,
Frank

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
I try and get as much informational material as I can. I would love to get a copy of this book as soon as they are available. Do you accept pre orders?

Sincerely,
Phil Dade

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Im envious of those who had a peek. Might you not give us a preview of the contents page?

As requested, here is the table of contents page from the book; as it stands now. In copy and pasting this it did not wrap properly but don't worry, it wraps properly in the finished form.

Table of Contents

About the Author…………………………………7

The Beginning……………………………………10

Part I The Early Stages…………………..……12
Situations………………………………………………...13
Five Kick Shot Situations……………………………...59
Early Game Conclusions………………………………72

Part II The Running of the Balls…………….74
Patterns…………………………………………………….75
Breaking Balls Loose From the Stack………………...80

Part III A Series of Drills…………………………87

IV Mid Game Situations………………………..107

V Take Out Shots………………………….........124

VI End Game Offense…………………………...140
Kick Banks……………………………………………..154

VII Moving Multiple Balls……………………….164

VIII A Word about Safety Play…………………176

IX A Strategic Blunder by A Great Player…..184

Final Conclusions……………………………….193

The rules of the Game…………………………..195

Tom

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
TheBook

TheBook

Hi Tom, put me down for number 1 or 2 .I can't wait to read it. Good Luck Your friend FastEddieF.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
2 for me. Say when and the check is in the mail or I can do cash and show you the proper ID. :lol

JAM

Verified Member

Tom

Great news, Tom. I know how hard it is, especially the editing and editing and editing and editing. Oh, yes, I know this very well. :lol

A copy-editor is good for content, to ensure the physical flow of the book makes sense. This is the hardest part of writing. I can type anything from verbal words spoken or hard-copy print. That's easy. Creating content from scratch that flows is really difficult, much more than I knew. I have no problem getting it down on paper once I figure out what I want to say. :eek:

If you need somebody to proofread for punctuation errors and typos, let me know. This is my bailiwick, as you know. ;)