Rule question help please

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i was playing 1p and i had 2 balls near my pocket and a ball up table (happened to be the 9 ball).... the cue ball was also up table behind the 9 ball near the head rail
my opponent shot the 9 ball into my 2 balls near my pocket thinking it was the cue ball.....:eek:
i wasnt sure if since more than one ball had been disturbed it was loss of game
or
just a foul and either replace the balls where they where or play from the new layout with the cue ball in an unfavorable spot for me
according to the experienced player we asked it was loss of game
confirmng what i also thought was the rule

i tried to look up the rule in our rules and the wpa rulles but couldnt find or missed where this issue is addressed
if someone has a link to the rule i would be grateful...:)
how would you all have handled the situation???

sorry for the long post....:eek:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
i was playing 1p and i had 2 balls near my pocket and a ball up table (happened to be the 9 ball).... the cue ball was also up table behind the 9 ball near the head rail
my opponent shot the 9 ball into my 2 balls near my pocket thinking it was the cue ball.....:eek:
or
just a foul and either replace the balls where they where or play from the new layout with the cue ball in an unfavorable spot for me

i tried to look up the rule in our rules and the wpa rulles but couldnt find or missed where this issue is addressed

Loss of game asfar as I am concerned.

Beard

beatle

Verified Member
i agree with rod if it isnt a blood match. same thing is if he tripped and messed up three balls is it loss of game.
opponent gets to set them back up to where he thinks is the closest.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
or

Larry,

I used to play in a bar that had red cloth on the table, red lights around the table and red carpet. It was also dark in there. Several times a night a guy would shoot the 1 ball or the 9 ball thinking it was the cueball. They all looked the same in that light.

I hadn't thought of that in years.

Dennis

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Larry,

I used to play in a bar that had red cloth on the table, red lights around the table and red carpet. It was also dark in there. Several times a night a guy would shoot the 1 ball or the 9 ball thinking it was the cueball. They all looked the same in that light.

I hadn't thought of that in years.

Dennis

Sounds like a "Notch Joint"
Rod.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
If you were playing a serious match, either gambling or tournament, I would say it's loss of game. It would be real difficult to replace the balls precisely where they were. If it's one ball that's moved, then the opponent can agree to have it replaced at his discretion. But when several are moved, it's usually loss of game.

The WPA rule, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, probably covers it. In this case the foul was not intentional, but it did "disrupt or change the game...". ~Doc

6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
The normal penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is the same as for a serious foul, but the referee may impose a penalty depending on his judgment of the conduct. Among other penalties possible are a warning; a standard-foul penalty, which will count as part of a three-foul sequence if applicable; a serious-foul penalty; loss of a rack, set or match; ejection from the competition possibly with forfeiture of all prizes, trophies and standings points.
Unsportsmanlike conduct is any intentional behavior that brings disrepute to the sport or which disrupts or changes the game to the extent that it cannot be played fairly. It includes
(a) distracting the opponent;
(b) changing the position of the balls in play other than by a shot;
(c) playing a shot by intentionally miscuing;
(d) continuing to play after a foul has been called or play has been suspended;
(e) practicing during a match;
(f) marking the table;
(g) delay of the game; and
(h) using equipment inappropriately.