am i cuckoo?

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
i was reading steve martin's 'an object of beauty' (about art and about a girl) and i flashed upon a pool analogy.

mr. martin spoke to the physical nature of a painting: the canvas, the stretcher, the wooden trIangles in the corners, nails in the wood securing the canvas to the stretcher; then the makeup of the canvas ... linen, muslim or a panel.

in other words, the playing field. the pool table, the cues, the balls, the chalk, the atmospherics in a pool room

then (in my mind) mr. martin spoke to the game. the art game, the pool game.

mr. martin writes, 'the gesso (a primary coat -- white) followed by a pastel underpaint. then the miracle: the paint itself, swished around, roughly, gently, layer on layer, thick or thin, not more than a quarter of an inch -- God can happen in that quarter of inch -- the occasional brush hair left embedded, colors mixed over each other, tones showing through, sometimes the weave of the linen revealing itself. ... the whole thing is done.'

ok, it's a stretch, but the artist, as does the pool player, works with the physical materials in front of him -- brushes, paint, etc. and cues, balls, etc.

then the artistry takes over ... paints, color selections, layers, tones, varnish, etc. or ... aiming, english, speed, experience, guile, courage, etc.

comparisons are my life,

sunny

p. s. i do enjoy thinking of you good players as artists -- without the 'con' in front!

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4e9CkhBb18E?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
lll said:
sunnyone you are not cookoo:)
you just dont belong here:p
icbw:eek:
Larry..I think she might be softening you up a little ..just sayin...Sunnyone..you ask are you cuckoo..Well yeah..You are doing what a good attorney would do ..asking a question you already know the answer to and then expertly eliciting the positive response that you seek..really well done!..BTW if your not cuckoo you sure play a good one on the forum..I think your fun and playful..and you are an acquired taste..this whole forum is infected with cuckinosity

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
sunnyone said:
i was reading steve martin's 'an object of beauty' (about art and about a girl) and i flashed upon a pool analogy.

mr. martin spoke to the physical nature of a painting: the canvas, the stretcher, the wooden trIangles in the corners, nails in the wood securing the canvas to the stretcher; then the makeup of the canvas ... linen, muslim or a panel.

in other words, the playing field. the pool table, the cues, the balls, the chalk, the atmospherics in a pool room

mr. martin writes, 'the gesso (a primary coat -- white) followed by a pastel underpaint. then the miracle: the paint itself, swished around, roughly, gently, layer on layer, thick or thin, not more than a quarter of an inch -- God can happen in that quarter of inch -- the occasional brush hair left embedded, colors mixed over each other, tones showing through, sometimes the weave of the linen revealing itself. ... the whole thing is done.'

ok, it's a stretch, but the artist, as does the pool player, works with the physical materials in front of him -- brushes, paint, etc. and cues, balls, etc.

then the artistry takes over ... paints, color selections, layers, tones, varnish, etc. or ... aiming, english, speed, experience, guile, courage, etc.

comparisons are my life,

sunny

p. s. i do enjoy thinking of you good players as artists -- without the 'con' in front!
That's strange, exactly what I think of before going into battle, whether it be a tournament, or a challenge match just to reinforce the strong attributes that have somewhat vanished from my game. Do you think it will work?

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cut Miss Sunny some slack, fellas. She's a sweet young lady who is bright, and has an offbeat sense of humor. She loves one-pocket, and hopes to be a better player.

I think it's nice to have a little feminine whimsy on the site once in awhile-- just to balance out the spittoons, cigar smoke, and Damon Runyon characterizations.

She makes some good points about the artistry of one-pocket: the table and equipment being the artist's instruments. Don't y'all remember Fast Eddie waxing aesthetically about the finer points of pool?

And the best part is that she stays away from politics.;)

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
gulfportdoc said:
Cut Miss Sunny some slack, fellas. She's a sweet young lady who is bright, and has an offbeat sense of humor. She loves one-pocket, and hopes to be a better player.

I think it's nice to have a little feminine whimsy on the site once in awhile-- just to balance out the spittoons, cigar smoke, and Damon Runyon characterizations.

She makes some good points about the artistry of one-pocket: the table and equipment being the artist's instruments. Don't y'all remember Fast Eddie waxing aesthetically about the finer points of pool?

And the best part is that she stays away from politics.;)

Doc
Doc you are a smart guy
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS:p

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
sunnyone said:

comparisons are my life,

sunny

Thank you for the compliment that you think we are artists.

I'm in need of more paint.