Steve Moore vs. Efren Reyes 2007 D.C.C.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Yes Mr.Beard,That's what I meant.I don't think the 7 would go In If you wanted It to.I would not make the 7 In other words.John B.

Jeeeze Beard, even I knew that..John, when will you be here, for my private bank lessons ? (and drinking contest)..:p

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Efren thinned the 7 ball and it dropped. I don't have any idea if he knew it would fall in but he didn't look surprised.

ER's Shot.jpg

Here's how he left it:

CapturedPicture_9.Jpeg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Compound the original error?

Compound the original error?

Efren thinned the 7 ball and it dropped. I don't have any idea if he knew it would fall in but he didn't look surprised.

View attachment 4753

Here's how he left it:

View attachment 4754

Needing all the balls, now I am going to assume that Moore compounded Efren's terrible mistake by shooting at the straight back instead of making one of the corner balls and returning uptable.
Efrens mistake he that he tried to go too far with the cue ball after thinning the 7. All he had to do was get a few feet away from the 7 and his oppo would have been forced to make at least one of the hanging balls.

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If I were Moore, I would not be able to resist banking the spotted ball at pocket speed. It seems about free to me.

Steve <--- definitely a newb to bank strategy

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Ok, you have made it....

Ok, you have made it....

If I were Moore, I would not be able to resist banking the spotted ball at pocket speed. It seems about free to me.

Steve <--- definitely a newb to bank strategy (obviously.)

...now what? Your only option after you MAKE it is to knock off a ball and leave a shot for your oppo who only needs one to win the game. If you miss it you may leave a shot that can win for your oppo, two in the side, cross corner, three in the side.

Beard

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
No Moore can't shoot the straight back. He should pocket another ball and return to the head rail.

Now there will be 2 balls on the spot. Efren will not have a shot to win the game. He will be forced to either break up the 2 spotted balls, or pocket the 3rd ball. Either way, Moore is getting closer to having a chance to win the game.

If he shoots the straight back, it doesn't give him a chance to win. Even if he scored on the straight back, it is basically a worthless point for him.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Thank you

Thank you

No Moore can't shoot the straight back. He should pocket another ball and return to the head rail.

Now there will be 2 balls on the spot. Efren will not have a shot to win the game. He will be forced to either break up the 2 spotted balls, or pocket the 3rd ball. Either way, Moore is getting closer to having a chance to win the game.

If he shoots the straight back, it doesn't give him a chance to win. Even if he scored on the straight back, it is basically a worthless point for him.

Apparently, I got thru to somebody anyway. Outstanding.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Needing all the balls, now I am going to assume that Moore compounded Efren's terrible mistake by shooting at the straight back instead of making one of the corner balls and returning uptable.

Beard

He's got that look in his eyes doesn't he Fred? You are correct, he did shoot at the 7 and missed it.:confused::frus

What's up with these guys? He makes it to the finals and doesn't even know simple things like what ball to shoot and when to shoot it? Like you Freddy, I never had the pleasure of playing guys who played the game like this.

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Red Shoes

Red Shoes

He's got that look in his eyes doesn't he Fred? You are correct, he did shoot at the 7 and missed it.:confused::frus

What's up with these guys? He makes it to the finals and doesn't even know simple things like what ball to shoot and when to shoot it? Like you Freddy, I never had the pleasure of playing guys who played the game like this.

Dennis

Amazing thing is that there are about 15 guys I play banks with at Red Shoes and I cant think of one that doesnt know what to do in the spot you presented.

Beard

Just posting to keep myself busy. Detain some of the depression.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

CB,

Sorry I missed this post. As Martin Sheen (Captain Willard) said in Apocalypse Now: absolutely goddamn right. A perfect evaluation of the layout.

Dennis

treeMan

Verified Member
Dear beer breath,

Thin off of the BROWN 7 BALL and go down table.Iffin he don't do that he don't no bankpool.John from the hills of ky brumback:lol

hey that's what I was thinking, but me no know bank pool so me sceered of posting. looks like he can do that without making the 7, which is the prerequisite, right?

tree
> hasn't seen the rest of the thread yet

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I don't disagree in the least that Moore absolutely played the wrong shot in that situation. But the guy won the Derby Classic Bank Pool title, so he had to be doing something right. You don't make it through a field like that in short races if you are not playing great pool... I mean GREAT pool.

And you can't make it though that Bank Pool field just firing at everything either. He must of moved pretty well throughout the tournament and then had a brain fart under the lights and the heat of the finals.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I don't disagree in the least that Moore absolutely played the wrong shot in that situation. But the guy won the Derby Classic Bank Pool title, so he had to be doing something right. You don't make it through a field like that in short races if you are not playing great pool... I mean GREAT pool.

And you can't make it though that Bank Pool field just firing at everything either. He must of moved pretty well throughout the tournament and then had a brain fart under the lights and the heat of the finals.

NTYC's,

Have you seen this match? Bank Pool Players don't all-of-a-sudden forget the right shot.

Dennis

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
NTYC's,

Have you seen this match? Bank Pool Players don't all-of-a-sudden forget the right shot.

Dennis

Stevie may not be considered a "bank pool player" by the purists, and may not have played the "right shot" in every situation. But it is pretty tough to argue with a guy that won the most difficult bank pool tournament on the face of the planet. We can second guess his decisions all we want, but at the end of the day he is the bank pool champion that plowed through a field of 400+ players, and we are playing virtual bank pool on an internet forum.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Efrens mistake he that he tried to go too far with the cue ball after thinning the 7. All he had to do was get a few feet away from the 7 and his oppo would have been forced to make at least one of the hanging balls.

Beard

Yeah,I'm pretty sure anyone could have thinned that 7 and go down table without
making It.I would like to know If he tried to make It or not.I really didn't think It would even go.Wrong again.John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Stevie may not be considered a "bank pool player" by the purists, and may not have played the "right shot" in every situation. But it is pretty tough to argue with a guy that won the most difficult bank pool tournament on the face of the planet. We can second guess his decisions all we want, but at the end of the day he is the bank pool champion that plowed through a field of 400+ players, and we are playing virtual bank pool on an internet forum.

So then I guess we agree that if I didn't post the names of the two involved players you would then agree that he shot the wrong shot instead of trying to contort yourself and your words to apologize for and defend him? You forgot to tell me that "maybe it was the right shot for him", that's one of Cardone's favorites.

Would you suggest that I only show good & great things that these players do and none of their mistakes? Who would learn from that?

If I write that Efren could use a better endgame Incardona almost breaks his neck beating Skeezer to the keyboard to tell me how great Effie is. Then when Skeezer posts he will demand that I post videos of me playing so he can judge if I'm qualified to judge Efren's endgame.

If I say Gabe Owen shot one of the dumbest shots I've ever seen I've got Bud Green telling me I should play Gabe even one-pocket before I criticize his game, as if that is some sort of brilliant retort.

Now I've got you chiding me (very politely though:)) for daring to critique Moore's game when he clearly shot the wrong shot. The match happened more than 7 years ago, I think it's o.k. if we talk about it. If he has the audacity to win the DCC Bank Pool tourney then he is going to be considered a knowledgeable bank-pool player and I, for one, will point out his good shots along with the bad. I don't nuthug on anyone although I do have a great respect for Jeremy Jones and the talent & intelligence he brings to the table.

All in all I don't pick on anybody in particular here, I've shown good shots and poor shots from all kinds of players. If I was only negative I think people would tire of it quickly but nobody learns anything from seeing a great shot executed well, it's the thinking mistakes that can help a newcomer learn and develop into a better player, thinking mistakes can always be avoided.

We aren't "second-guessing" anything or playing "virtual bank-pool", we're hopefully having a good time and learning something. That's what most of us are doing anyway.

Dennis

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Wow... I wasn't bashing you for posting this... I love your situational shot posts and I am having a great time responding. Nothing I type should be taken in a mean spirited way... I just type what I think.

I totally agree it was the wrong shot... and a blatantly wrong shot at that. However, you and Freddy were pretty much making Stevie out to be bank pool ignorant with statements like:

"Amazing thing is that there are about 15 guys I play banks with at Red Shoes and I cant think of one that doesnt know what to do in the spot you presented."

And

"What's up with these guys? He makes it to the finals and doesn't even know simple things like what ball to shoot and when to shoot it? Like you Freddy, I never had the pleasure of playing guys who played the game like this."

I can't disagree with either of you on the poor shot selection in this particular situation. All I was saying is... let's give the guy a little credit for being a DCC Bank Pool Champion. There may be readers that did not know he won that particular tournament.

Keep posting the shot situations and please don't take what I post personally. I love the game of Bank Pool and I'm thankful there is a forum like this where knowledgeable people are discussing the game!