Wwed

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Dr. The problem I see with shooting the three in the corner and leaving the cue ball up table is that it must leave a path back beside the fifteen in one fashion or another.

If the kick off the side rail is not available because of the position of the seven then sliding off the thirteen ball has to be there. As I see it, the three ball's position must be maintained and the cue ball must come down table behind the eight. This may be a daunting task, and the risk of failure may be great, but the reward is equally great should this be accomplished. Any shot which has a realistic chance of leaving the cue ball along the foot rail and behind the eight is one which must be attempted or the situation will only get worse.

I will be very much surprised if Efren didn't see it that way too.
Some form of ticky under those balls along the foot rail is still my answer to this problem. There are a number of balls which he could potentially use to ticky.

Tom

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Well, the angle of this image does not allow me to know for certain but it looks like Efren has barely enough room to slide between the fifteen and the fourteen to ticky the eight ball. This shot could be devastating to any contender. The eight will likely stop in a position which prevents a return kick into the three ball from off the head rail. I'll stick to this shot until someone who knows absolutely, that this path is not there.

Tom

Looks to be available and will definitely preserve his position, probably win the game. IMO, if he didn't shoot this shot, he just overlooked it.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Everyone contributed great ideas to this thread, I am always grateful to the people who share their knowledge so willingly with the 1P community.

Efren shot a 4 rail kick (bottom rail makes 5 actually) to come in behind the 8. He had to load it up with inside to force it around. His speed was perfect as expected. His opponent tried the same shot back, but sold out as he's obviously not a pool god like Efren.

Video of his shot

Efren shooting 3 railer

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
for us looking at the screen the 7 ball looked HUGE to block the track to get there
if it was so open i think most of us would have shot it
(toms ticky since efren didnt shoot it probably wasnt available)
1pwannabee
keep the ww?d coming.....:)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Everyone contributed great ideas to this thread, I am always grateful to the people who share their knowledge so willingly with the 1P community.

Efren shot a 4 rail kick (bottom rail makes 5 actually) to come in behind the 8. He had to load it up with inside to force it around. His speed was perfect as expected. His opponent tried the same shot back, but sold out as he's obviously not a pool god like Efren.

Video of his shot

Efren shooting 3 railer

Makes ya wonder why effies opponent didn't just simplify his shot selection and lag one rail long rail behind the 3, instead of trying to duplicate efrens shot with the 3 ball in the way.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Makes ya wonder why effies opponent didn't just simplify his shot selection and lag one rail long rail behind the 3, instead of trying to duplicate efrens shot with the 3 ball in the way.

That was my thought, too. The area on the long rail that results in a decent to great outcome is at least 6" long, and the 7 is not at all in the way.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Ditto. IMO it's much easier to gauge the hit on a one-railer than it is a three-railer. The target is a little bigger too-- coming straight in, as opposed to on an angle. Maybe the opponent was just trying to be fancy, and match Reyes.:)

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Three rail kick behind the eight.

That's the first shot I saw as well and would have been what I would have shot too. I was thinking if the 7 was too big for hitting the kick short so that it gets to the 4th and even 5th rail, what about juicing it up with a lot of right spin so that it comes long and either hits the 8 in the face or even longer and comes underneath it?

either way I think I'm kicking here.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Instead of kicking one-rail behind the three ball, I would make it a two-rail kick and plan to hit the three ball hard enough to move it about a foot. Efren might beat me from there - Efren might beat me from just about anywhere. :rolleyes:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
for us looking at the screen the 7 ball looked HUGE to block the track to get there
if it was so open i think most of us would have shot it
(toms ticky since efren didnt shoot it probably wasnt available)
1pwannabee
keep the ww?d coming.....:)

Actually Larry, not only was Tom's "ticky" not available but you would have to believe that Doc's option off the 6ball playing one rail under the 8ball and also John's option with kicking around the 3ball to drop under the 8ball wasn't available either. I'm assuming that because of how difficult the kick Reyes chose with coming so close to contacting the 7ball off the third rail. The optimum position to arrive in would be in back of the 8ball, I didn't see any way to get there because of the angles that I believed were available. Never even considered looking for the shot that Reyes chose, however, being at the table allows us to have a much better perspective on the angles and options available. None the less Reyes chose a difficult kick and executed it to near perfection, once again, whats new.:)

And I agree with everyone else who mentioned that Reyes opponent should of kicked one rail to the inside of the 3ball.

Next....Thanks for the thread.:D

Dr. Bill

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
Since I have seen Efren's shot and others that may not have been available, I'll stick to my original option (which I did not post). Efren's is just to risky, so I would take a foul and just push up to the 6 and leave the cue ball close to the 10.