Houston Seniors Trip

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I got home late Monday night and considering the weather in Houston was lucky to make it so soon.

Congratulations to Billy Incardona and Jerry Matchin for their heart and stamina in brutal conditions. I know Billy was disappointed in his game at the Super Seniors and he sure was geared up for this one. He showed why he is a Hall of Famer and a Champion. Jerry Matchin just missed winning it all. Thanks to Big Truck and crew for the stream and Jeremy Jones for commentating on the matches. I also got to be in the booth with Jeremy for a while. He also had Billy Incardona in there with him for a match or two and they are two of the best.

During the finals early Monday morning, the tornado warning sirens were going off and the tv and our cell phones were advising us to take cover. I was looking to see which pool table I would crawl under if I had to. Frank and I were fortunate to make it to the airport in time for our flight. After our daily breakfast at Waffle House, we were on our way to deliver the rental car to the agency a couple blocks away and the streets were flooded with tow trucks all over the place and cars stranded in the water. Frank backed up quite a ways on a one way road and we turned around and found a dryer route to the airport.

Thank you to David Richardson, the owner of Bogies and John Rizzo the manager, for hosting another fine event. I won’t list all the names of the people that made this trip so much fun because I would certainly forget some, but this tournament was special and I think everyone in attendance felt it too. Jeff Sparks also had a hand in making it happen and pushing it along. I saw lots of old friends and made some new ones. Frank and I have been friendly competitors for over 50 years and I enjoyed his company and humor very much. We spent some time and broke bread with Disco Dave, and seeing Mary Kenniston and Ming is always a treat for me.

The trip started a little on a downer for me. I found out that there are two Comfort Inn’s on the same street. I thought I was making reservations at the one down the street from Bogies but ended up at the one 6 miles away. I had paid the cabbie and was talking to the clerk when the cabbie drove away with my bag in the van. 2k worth of cue sticks and all my cloths. I did not know the name of the cab company and could not get in touch with Frank, who was due at the airport, to tell him we were at the other hotel. Frank finally called me and soon after that the cabbie came back with my bag, so it all worked out.

I played pretty well the first day of the tournament, winning two matches, but went two and out the second day against better players. I lost to Wayne Pullen and Tom Wirth. The two guys I beat both ended up in the cash. I really had problems with the wet tables, but so did everyone else, so no excuses, I just did not play good enough.

I had enough flyers printed up on 11 x 17 heavy stock so that all the players could have one. They were a big hit and some of the players were getting them signed by the other guys in the tournament. Thanks again to RedCard for all his hard work redesigning the flyer and sending me a copy I could get printed.

October will be here before you know it and we will have another event without those pesky youngsters.:D I will be ready for this one and to hopefully defend my title.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Honey I'm Home....phew

Honey I'm Home....phew

Yep what a great time. A shout out to Disco Dave for all his help and telling us to leave @ 6am (that definitely helped allot) and to Bill Rousey and Todd and ?? for getting us all to the airport. If Disco Dave hand not told us to leave EARLY, getting to the airport WOULD of been quite different, our first off ramp to the airport was a turn around don't drown moment. Rousey kept their rental and drove immediately to Louisiana and flew home from there. Rizzo did a great job, as did Sparks. Got to meet Keith Thompson, who I had not seen since he won the all-around at Janscos when he was 18 yr old. Hendy got a pic of me and him just before I left. The stories, the laughter and the new friendships made were as much fun as the event. I think Big Truck should mic up Hendy and others and market the GREAT stories and times we've had since the sixties. I'm now waiting on FedX to deliver my luggage and Cue stick. Does anyone know the name of Bill Rouseys pool room? Billy Stroud, you missed a good one. ''tease'' :). Congrats to Cardone with his win, and too all others who made this past weekend ''special''.

BM

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Yep what a great time. A shout out to Disco Dave for all his help and telling us to leave @ 6am (that definitely helped allot) and to Bill Rousey and Todd and ?? for getting us all to the airport. If Disco Dave hand not told us to leave EARLY, getting to the airport WOULD of been quite different, our first off ramp to the airport was a turn around don't drown moment. Rousey kept their rental and drove immediately to Louisiana and flew home from there. Rizzo did a great job, as did Sparks. Got to meet Keith Thompson, who I had not seen since he won the all-around at Janscos when he was 18 yr old. Hendy got a pic of me and him just before I left. The stories, the laughter and the new friendships made were as much fun as the event. I think Big Truck should mic up Hendy and others and market the GREAT stories and times we've had since the sixties. I'm now waiting on FedX to deliver my luggage and Cue stick. Does anyone know the name of Bill Rouseys pool room? Billy Stroud, you missed a good one. ''tease'' :). Congrats to Cardone with his win, and too all others who made this past weekend ''special''.

BM

I didn't get to spend a lot of time visiting with you Bill, seems you were playing or I was. I did get to watch you play a match though and you played very well. You still shoot straight and run balls extremely well. You know the game and move the CB around very well also. Glad you could make the trip, looking forward to perhaps visiting with you a little more next year.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I got home late Monday night and considering the weather in Houston was lucky to make it so soon.

Congratulations to Billy Incardona and Jerry Matchin for their heart and stamina in brutal conditions. I know Billy was disappointed in his game at the Super Seniors and he sure was geared up for this one. He showed why he is a Hall of Famer and a Champion. Jerry Matchin just missed winning it all. Thanks to Big Truck and crew for the stream and Jeremy Jones for commentating on the matches. I also got to be in the booth with Jeremy for a while. He also had Billy Incardona in there with him for a match or two and they are two of the best.

During the finals early Monday morning, the tornado warning sirens were going off and the tv and our cell phones were advising us to take cover. I was looking to see which pool table I would crawl under if I had to. Frank and I were fortunate to make it to the airport in time for our flight. After our daily breakfast at Waffle House, we were on our way to deliver the rental car to the agency a couple blocks away and the streets were flooded with tow trucks all over the place and cars stranded in the water. Frank backed up quite a ways on a one way road and we turned around and found a dryer route to the airport.

Thank you to David Richardson, the owner of Bogies and John Rizzo the manager, for hosting another fine event. I won’t list all the names of the people that made this trip so much fun because I would certainly forget some, but this tournament was special and I think everyone in attendance felt it too. Jeff Sparks also had a hand in making it happen and pushing it along. I saw lots of old friends and made some new ones. Frank and I have been friendly competitors for over 50 years and I enjoyed his company and humor very much. We spent some time and broke bread with Disco Dave, and seeing Mary Kenniston and Ming is always a treat for me.

The trip started a little on a downer for me. I found out that there are two Comfort Inn’s on the same street. I thought I was making reservations at the one down the street from Bogies but ended up at the one 6 miles away. I had paid the cabbie and was talking to the clerk when the cabbie drove away with my bag in the van. 2k worth of cue sticks and all my cloths. I did not know the name of the cab company and could not get in touch with Frank, who was due at the airport, to tell him we were at the other hotel. Frank finally called me and soon after that the cabbie came back with my bag, so it all worked out.

I played pretty well the first day of the tournament, winning two matches, but went two and out the second day against better players. I lost to Wayne Pullen and Tom Wirth. The two guys I beat both ended up in the cash. I really had problems with the wet tables, but so did everyone else, so no excuses, I just did not play good enough.

I had enough flyers printed up on 11 x 17 heavy stock so that all the players could have one. They were a big hit and some of the players were getting them signed by the other guys in the tournament. Thanks again to RedCard for all his hard work redesigning the flyer and sending me a copy I could get printed.

October will be here before you know it and we will have another event without those pesky youngsters.:D I will be ready for this one and to hopefully defend my title.

I can't wait either John! Jeremy Jones is gonna have his hands full.... He's agreed to help me out with lessons... I'm gonna take him up on it and try to dethrone you in October. It was great seeing all the west coast guys again and meeting the new guys from around the country. I'm using that mid-cue extension you gave me and I really like the new feel it gives the stick. Thanks and see ya in October.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I can't wait either John! Jeremy Jones is gonna have his hands full.... He's agreed to help me out with lessons... I'm gonna take him up on it and try to dethrone you in October. It was great seeing all the west coast guys again and meeting the new guys from around the country. I'm using that mid-cue extension you gave me and I really like the new feel it gives the stick. Thanks and see ya in October.

I am glad you like the extension. I think us old guys need a little more length and forward balance when our mechanics get out of whack.

I must warn you though, there is a Gypsy Curse on the extension and it will not work against the person you got it from.:D