Pickle

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yeah, you guys are absolutely right about using a slight masse to avoid the side pocket scratch. Unfortunately, my local cue mechanic had just taken my cue for a new tip and I was using a back up cue with a harder tip than what I am used too. That was exactly what I tried to do, but I didn't get a good hit and it cost me a ball, which my opponent made and swung the cue ball around the table for the 14 ball next, and then banked the 7 (which I had moved) which hung in his pocket. I scratched again trying to take out his game ball and he promptly buried the ensuing spot shot. nite nite lol.

About an hour later my tip guy came back with a new tip on my own cue and it hits soooooo good :) -- but a little too late to help

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yeah, you guys are absolutely right about using a slight masse to avoid the side pocket scratch. Unfortunately, my local cue mechanic had just taken my cue for a new tip and I was using a back up cue with a harder tip than what I am used too. That was exactly what I tried to do, but I didn't get a good hit and it cost me a ball, which my opponent made and swung the cue ball around the table for the 14 ball next, and then banked the 7 (which I had moved) which hung in his pocket. I scratched again trying to take out his game ball and he promptly buried the ensuing spot shot. nite nite lol.

About an hour later my tip guy came back with a new tip on my own cue and it hits soooooo good :) -- but a little too late to help

I want to make sure it does not sound like I was blaming my tip guy -- far from it! He provided me fantastic service picking up my cue during my night out playing, and returning it with a new tip about an hour later -- that is great service!! Unfortunately, this game took place during the hour he was gone :(

tylerdurden

Verified Member
is this what you mean??
i dont know how to draw curved lines
View attachment 8475

Yeah, nice diagram. This is what I would have done too. I would have tried to catch it with low center myself. Just kinda pinch the cb into the cloth a little so it gets some spin, but you dont want too much speed on the cb.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

steve
you picked the right shot:)
execution can always be improved
if you only had your favorite shaft with its tip....:frus
time to change the tip on your back up shaft
jmho

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I posted this from my phone, so could not label pockets or anything. Tyler, my pocket is the other end of the table :)

Larry, I don't think I could have shot forward at all without a scratch or getting called for a double hit/push -- at least with a normal stroke -- because the cue ball and 7 were very nearly frozen but not quite.

labeled view:

OK. New situation. Your oppo needs one and his pocket is the left hand lower corner where the one ball is. Its your shot. WWYD?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'm going to take a foul and shoot the cue ball directly at the head rail in line with all three of his balls. I get a minus one and he is trippled up on a combo for his pocket.

is there another option????.........;)............:D
couldnt help it petie......:heh

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I shot exactly this -- unfortunately including the part where nothing hits a rail :D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
OK. New situation. Your oppo needs one and his pocket is the left hand lower corner where the one ball is. Its your shot. WWYD?

If you flip the table around like that, I probably would have tried to kick two rails at the ball near their pocket. Definitely a pickle.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
If you flip the table around like that, I probably would have tried to kick two rails at the ball near their pocket. Definitely a pickle.

That was my first thought also but I soon thought why should I do that before giving my oppo the chance to screw up and hand me the game. I'm going to take a foul and place the cue ball on the end rail in line with the three object balls. He can try to make the three ball combo or bank or cut the spotted ball but this is what I want him to do because he will likely miss and let me back in the game. The only thing I wouldn't like is if he puts me back here where we started and then I can still try your shot.