Banking champions.... Brumback ????

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
-2013, 11:29 AM
wincardona
Verified Member
Bugs was the best banker that I ever seen play, never watched Taylor play, just heard great things about his banking skills from the worlds greatest players.

If I had to rank the worlds top 5 greatest bank pool players it would be Taylor (from stories heard) Bugs...then there would be a log jam with Brumback..Fargo...and Spaeth. Just my opinion. Maybe i'm partial to players from my era, maybe, however, they are all great champions.

Dr. Bill

I would like to recant the above statement on my opinion of the worlds 5 greatest bankers. After carefully re-evaluating this topic. :eek: I owe John Brumback an apology for placing him in the so called "log jam" with Fargo and Spaeth. Not to discredit Fargo and Spaeth which they are clearly among the worlds greatest of all time, however, after scrutinizing the worlds elite bank pool players I have to place Brumback along side Taylor and "Bugs"

Bank Pool Hall of Fame
* Donny 'The Cincinnati Kid' Anderson *
* Freddy 'The Beard' Bentivegna *

* John Brumback *
* Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge *
* John 'Cannonball' Chapman *
* Vernon Elliott *
* Tony 'Fargo' Ferguson *
* Truman Hogue *
* Glenn 'Piggy Banks' Rogers *

* Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker *
* Gary Spaeth *
* Eddie 'The Knoxville Bear' Taylor *

* Nick Varner *
* Javanley 'Youngblood' Washington *
* Shannon 'The Cannon' Daulton

Based off of tournament wins you would have to put Brumback 'first', however, back in the day there were very few bank pool tournaments as opposed to today, and over the last 15 or so years. However, the glaring fact is that he (Brumback) does have the best tournament ranking in the history of bank pool, in terms of tournament wins, which certainly can't be ignored. The above players in the color green are among the players that Brumback has competed with to amass his record. The champions that are not colored above are before Brumbacks time, and should not be considered when talking about 'best tournament record' because there were many fewer tournaments when they reigned.

Also Imo there are bank pool players today that play well enough to one day be inducted into the "Bank Pool Hall Of Fame' which Brumback has competed with and beaten.

I apologize to Brumback for my "rush to judgment" and look forward to watching him play in future bank pool tournaments, where he can possibly be recognized one day as ...the best ever.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
-2013, 11:29 AM

I would like to recant the above statement on my opinion of the worlds 5 greatest bankers. After carefully re-evaluating this topic. :eek: I owe John Brumback an apology for placing him in the so called "log jam" with Fargo and Spaeth. Not to discredit Fargo and Spaeth which they are clearly among the worlds greatest of all time, however, after scrutinizing the worlds elite bank pool players I have to place Brumback along side Taylor and "Bugs"

Bank Pool Hall of Fame
* Donny 'The Cincinnati Kid' Anderson *
* Freddy 'The Beard' Bentivegna *

* John Brumback *
* Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge *
* John 'Cannonball' Chapman *
* Vernon Elliott *
* Tony 'Fargo' Ferguson *
* Truman Hogue *
* Glenn 'Piggy Banks' Rogers *

* Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker *
* Gary Spaeth *
* Eddie 'The Knoxville Bear' Taylor *

* Nick Varner *
* Javanley 'Youngblood' Washington *
* Shannon 'The Cannon' Daulton

Based off of tournament wins you would have to put Brumback 'first', however, back in the day there were very few bank pool tournaments as opposed to today, and over the last 15 or so years. However, the glaring fact is that he (Brumback) does have the best tournament ranking in the history of bank pool, in terms of tournament wins, which certainly can't be ignored. The above players in the color green are among the players that Brumback has competed with to amass his record. The champions that are not colored above are before Brumbacks time, and should not be considered when talking about 'best tournament record' because there were many fewer tournaments when they reigned.

Also Imo there are bank pool players today that play well enough to one day be inducted into the "Bank Pool Hall Of Fame' which Brumback has competed with and beaten.

I apologize to Brumback for my "rush to judgment" and look forward to watching him play in future bank pool tournaments, where he can possibly be recognized one day as ...the best ever.

Dr. Bill

You have to remove the green over my name. John and I have never played.

Beard

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I don't have a long history of being around bank pool, but I do feel John's tournament record is easily enough to rank him as one of the best ever. There is more knowledge out there today. If you do good in a big tournament today, you had to make it past so many knowledgeable players, most of which shoot very straight. his private matches also seem to bolster his credentials. On a personal note, for me his level of play is even magnified because he has such a great and humble attitude. He is one of my favorite POOL players ever, and I have seen quite a few.

I thought Jarvis was an absolute monster. Where would he fit into the grand scheme?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
In the early years of Bank tournaments, Donny Anderson had a very good run of tourney results -- for the relatively small number of Bank events they held.

In his time, Johnny B has had an unparalleled record of consistent strong finishes.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I don't have a long history of being around bank pool, but I do feel John's tournament record is easily enough to rank him as one of the best ever. There is more knowledge out there today. If you do good in a big tournament today, you had to make it past so many knowledgeable players, most of which shoot very straight. his private matches also seem to bolster his credentials. On a personal note, for me his level of play is even magnified because he has such a great and humble attitude. He is one of my favorite POOL players ever, and I have seen quite a few.

I thought Jarvis was an absolute monster. Where would he fit into the grand scheme?

Jarvis is an upper level world class banker. He was also one of my students, but he, unfortunately, went over to the dark side, and I dont have anything to do with him anymore. I hate to have to admit that there are few that can beat him today.

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Jarvis is an upper level world class banker. He was also one of my students, but he, unfortunately, went over to the dark side, and I dont have anything to do with him anymore. I hate to have to admit that there are few that can beat him today.

Beard

The first time I ever saw Mark Jarvis was at a tournament on the west side of Chicago in the suburbs..Quail Run was the venue that comes to mind. It was mid '80. He was playing another player I had never seen before by the name of Efren Reyes. Willie Munson said he'd bet $50 that Mark wouldn't make it to 5 in the race to 11 so I look him up on it. Well, Mark beat Efren all the way to 11 and I won the money. Efren was using a $5.00 cue that sounded like it was gonna fall apart every time he made contact with the cue ball but he was doing amazing stuff with it. He would sting the cue ball with it. It was a much different stroke than he has now. He didn't run out every game either but he kept control. Mark just had his number that day but the one everyone was talking about was Efren.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The first time I ever saw Mark Jarvis was at a tournament on the west side of Chicago in the suburbs..Quail Run was the venue that comes to mind. It was mid '80. He was playing another player I had never seen before by the name of Efren Reyes. Willie Munson said he'd bet $50 that Mark wouldn't make it to 5 in the race to 11 so I look him up on it. Well, Mark beat Efren all the way to 11 and I won the money. Efren was using a $5.00 cue that sounded like it was gonna fall apart every time he made contact with the cue ball but he was doing amazing stuff with it. He would sting the cue ball with it. It was a much different stroke than he has now. He didn't run out every game either but he kept control. Mark just had his number that day but the one everyone was talking about was Efren.

Close Petie. It was Pheasant Run not Quail Run. I never said he couldnt play, I was talking about his character. However, I do not accept him into the SS. Loyalty to the other members is a unshakeable qualification.

Beard

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
In the "SS" a member has to fly a flag of loyalty. The ONLY flag Mark Jarvis flies is, "The Skull n Cross Bones." :eek:

He's, "Tommy Tucker" and "J Arthur Rank" in the first degree!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"