Us Open Pocket Field

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Can someone ask Mark Griffin how the field for the US Open is going to be filled? Will there be a way that the best players in the game get the 1st opportunity to compete in this event? I went to a US Open held at the Plaza in Vegas a few years ago and the field was somewhat weak when compared to other key events. At that time there was nothing else going on in Vegas but this time a great number of the best players will be in town and it would be great to see THEM perform. It would alway be a shame if they didnt get compete if they wanted to. Thanks Sappo

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Sappo, all they have to do is sign up. There's plenty of time, since it's not until May. But I'm sure most of the top 1P players will attend the event. The U.S. open 10-ball is the following week. I suspect that Mark will expand to 48 players.

With 10K added, plus the prestige of the event, all the good players are going to want to participate. I think that the challenge might be in getting the lesser players to sign up.;)

Doc

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I hope you are right Doc. Its just such a great opportunity for great one pocket out west. Sappo

markgriffin

Verified Member
US Open One Pocket

US Open One Pocket

Here is some basic info on this event. This is the RETURN of the US OPEN ONE POCKET. This is the 12th event.

This will be an ANNUAL event from now on. So every year, the One Pocket and thh US Open 10-Ball will be in Vegas.

This first year, we wanted to keep it a weekend event (Fri-Sat-Sun) to encourage players to participate. We will only have 8 Diamond Tables available.

If the field is 32, we will have 4 hour time frames for the matches. Races are probably going to be 4. Double Elimination - with a finals race to 5.

If over 32, we will shorten loser side to 3. Play more than 4 rounds a couple of days and maybe have the semi and finals on Monday. The 'odds' are pretty good that the top 3 in one pocket might also be in 10-ball and we can have the final matches at same time 10-ball is starting.

There are still a lot of details to come.

We will not accept sign-ups until sometime after the first of the year (probably sometime in Feb or so). We will extend an invitation to the top players and then open the field. We will NOT accept entries without payment.

I encourage anyone with comments or questions to PLEASE contact me at markg@playcsipool.com or call me 702-719-7665. We want players input and want this to be a great event.

We are planning on having TAR do a Pay-Per-View for both one pocket and 10-ball. If you stay at host hotel (Riveira) you willget the feed on your room TV for free. Also, if you stay for 8 days, the rooms are only $60 per day - including weekends.

Great Deal!!

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Thanks Mark, that makes a lot of sense and should result in a great event. Keith

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
gulfportdoc said:
Sappo, all they have to do is sign up. There's plenty of time, since it's not until May. But I'm sure most of the top 1P players will attend the event. The U.S. open 10-ball is the following week. I suspect that Mark will expand to 48 players.

With 10K added, plus the prestige of the event, all the good players are going to want to participate. I think that the challenge might be in getting the lesser players to sign up.;)

Doc

Well, speaking of lesser players... If you sign up, so will I. :)
JoeyA

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
JoeyA said:
Well, speaking of lesser players... If you sign up, so will I. :)
JoeyA
Heh, heh... I'd love to go out there to play, but I also have to be realistic. With a field so dense with top players, it would be a stroke of luck to even win a few games, let alone matches.

Still, it would be fun to participate and watch. A lot will depend on what Mark does. If he limits it to 32, the list will probably be a "Who's Who" of top 1P players.:eek:

There are other considerations as far as my tastes go. With only 8 tables, practicing and even matching up will be unlikely. I imagine most of the action will sidle over to the Cue Club. Now THAT might be interesting. David Peat could take his pick...

I am happy that Mark has decided to re-institute this event.

Doc

markgriffin

Verified Member
US Open One Pocket

US Open One Pocket

Doc,

We are sensitive to practice etc. There will be a couple of practice tables. We will also have 2-3 high-run tables that will be available at times for one pocket.

Also the match times are being very generous - 4 hours on winners side and 3 hours on losers side (if we stay with 4/3). Practice will be somewhat available between matches.

I think this is going to be a great event. The 'pro' players can do the One Pocket - play in the 7' Grand Master event - then play in the US Open 10-Ball. All in 9 days.

Got some things planned for the future that will improve a lot of everyone's concerns.

Mark Griffin