The Hound's last hurrah

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
There you go...

There you go...

Beardbrain,..You may be the ONLY 'older male' (or female) on the planet, who could attempt to find ANY fault with my hero, Arnold Palmer..:frus..I'm sure Arnie wishes his 'legacy', was more like 'Detroit Whitey' or J. Ervlino...Maybe even, God forbid..The Beard ! :rolleyes:

Bubba McDuck <---Champion of 'normal' people !!!

PS..Dr. Bill, the Duck pulls ahead 4 games to 2...:D

...you are the only poster who is arrogant enough to be his own referee and score keeper. Reminds me of one of Fat's lines. He said Danny Jones was the only pool player to nickname himself. (Handsome Danny)

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
[/SIZE]

...you are the only poster who is arrogant enough to be his own referee and score keeper. Reminds me of one of Fat's lines. He said Danny Jones was the only pool player to nickname himself. (Handsome Danny)

Beard

As you are wont to do, you ignored the main thrust of my post, and zeroed in on a mild 'tongue in cheeck', harmless comment...Apparently, you have never heard the few nicknames I added for myself..."Good Playin', Straight Shootin', Awesome Movin,'Hi-Rollin,' San Jose Dick"..Modesty (a desirable trait you will NEVER be accused of having)...compelled me to shorten it to 'SJD'..:p :p :p

GP,SS,AM,HR,SJD McDuck <---is off to Jimbo's for lunch...etc. :D

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dr Bill,

Why would a somewhat normal [sic] human being, even feel the need create such a list. (You really don't think he's normal, do you? He's special.):lol The rules for qualifying, are VERY confusing..Do you have to be a cross between a "dump artist" and a genuine a$$hole...Apparently any form of "normalcy", or "honor among thieves" is frowned upon.( Nah, he mixed it up pretty good, good enough to keep the interest high.);)

I would think you'd be upset, that YOU are on 'the list'. (Not really, as you can see he "sprinkled" names of certain players to stabilize the credibility of the list.).I'm sure glad he exluded me from his "SECRET Society"..Which he has plastered all over the forum..(he's obviously NOT the brightest bulb on the tree) (Actually, you were on the fence until the last couple of weeks, but there's still hope.):D

Weren't all his Sicilian roots, based on guys with honor, or were they ALL like John Gotti ? (kill before ya get killed)..I have given up trying to disect his motives..And, whatever you do Fred, don't break your 'Code of Silence'...Oh wait,you already have..You will surely be marked for assasination now !(That's part of his master plan, "keeping everyone guessing.")

Sammy "the Bull" McDuck <---Whacking and snitching for hire, cheap (There's hope yet)

PS..Beardmonster may have set a new all time record...The first person in history, to hi-jack his OWN condolence thread..JK JK..
(I know, I know, you just figured Jet would like it, and he probably would have).. :)
If the truth was known i'm thinking he formulated this "secret society for hustlers" list, just to piss you off. Not that you would want to be on it, but to hear what you had to say to be excluded.:)

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
If the truth was known i'm thinking he formulated this "secret society for hustlers" list, just to piss you off. Not that you would want to be on it, but to hear what you had to say to be excluded.:)

Dr. Bill

There could be more than a morsel of truth in that. As you must have noticed he is howling like a banshee over it. All I accused him of being was an honest man. What's up wit dat?

I dont understand why he would want to belong to a club that would have me as a member?

In our club, Whitey good, Weenie Beanie bad.

Beard

DuckBrain, Weenie Beanie, Richie Florence, Allen Hopkins, Arnold Palmer, and Mother Cabrini can start their own club.

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
[/SIZE]

Beard

Didn't he turn into "Dirty Danny" when he lost his looks?:)

DeeMan

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
[/SIZE]

Reminds me of one of Fat's lines. He said Danny Jones was the only pool player to nickname himself. (Handsome Danny)

Beard

I think Fat (or you) stole that line from Puckett. He said "Handsome Danny named himself, he looks like a Georgia ground Squirrel" Danny, along with Jersey Red never dumped anyone that I knew about in 20 plus years that I was around them. Danny was one of the very best hustlers. Fat said "If you gave him a blood test, it would be 90% lipstick and 10% coca cola."

I'm not sure Red belongs on your list, as he always paid what he owed while I knew him (along with dumping no one) and really just wanted to play. He knew a ton of props and stayed in action. You may know of something devious he did, but I don't.
Richie Austin was one of your people.
If dumping is part of the criteria, Mike Seigel should be at the top of the list.
Rod.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Wrong message

Wrong message

I think Fat (or you) stole that line from Puckett. He said "Handsome Danny named himself, he looks like a Georgia ground Squirrel" Danny, along with Jersey Red never dumped anyone that I knew about in 20 plus years that I was around them. Danny was one of the very best hustlers. Fat said "If you gave him a blood test, it would be 90% lipstick and 10% coca cola."

I'm not sure Red belongs on your list, as he always paid what he owed while I knew him (along with dumping no one) and really just wanted to play. He knew a ton of props and stayed in action. You may know of something devious he did, but I don't.
Richie Austin was one of your people.
If dumping is part of the criteria, Mike Seigel should be at the top of the list.
Rod.

You got the wrong message, Rod. I never anywhere said dumping was any part of the criteria. I personally think its a terrible habit. The club is for real, old-fashioned POOL HUSTLERS, and the most important qualification would be that the member accepts and acknowledges the other members -- he dont have to admire or like them --and would have no problem being identified with such a group. I knew Jersey Red since 1962. We were very good friends. I know exactly what Red was, and was not capable of. Do you really think Red would have a problem being identified with the already cited players?

I know Mike Sigel since the early 70s and I also know that he would look down on the aforementioned inductees and make it a point to distance himself from them.

Red has been gone long enough for me to say this; did you know that late in life, when Red went to a tourn he would take a line from the movie, The Producers, and would have 8 or 9 different guys staking him to the same tournament? The only thing he did different from the movie is that while they tried to fail in the movie, Red actually still tried to do his best. If he managed to win he would just have to deal with the consequences of whacking the money up an impossible amount of ways. This I know because I had to play Red twice at Gradys toun in Philly. He had already told me about the "Producers" thing and later we drew each other. I can personally attest that he wasnt in the tank when we played.

Beard

Here is one of my all time favorite pictures. Its me and Red in front of Jimmy Fuscos pro shop in the pool room of the aforementioned Philly 1pkt tourn.

Attachments

• 4 Jersey Red & me #2 (600 x 543).jpg
    4 Jersey Red & me #2 (600 x 543).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Worm

Verified Member
Man...

Man...

Sorry to hear this Beard, I was late on the news on this one. I liked Jet a lot, we shared cigs all the time and he was always very encouraging about my game.

He will be missed...

Especially the sounds of

"Hello Money"
"Hello Check"

Great line I heard him say once was..."You play for show, I play to eat".

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Ok Beard, here's a couple of possibilities, i'm very interested in your appraisal.

Steve "The Whale" and David Sizemore. Don't worry, there both dead.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
all right now.

all right now.

Sorry to hear this Beard, I was late on the news on this one. I liked Jet a lot, we shared cigs all the time and he was always very encouraging about my game.

He will be missed...

Especially the sounds of

"Hello Money"
"Hello Check"

Great line I heard him say once was..."You play for show, I play to eat".

Excellent post.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I knew it...

I knew it...

Ok Beard, here's a couple of possibilities, i'm very interested in your appraisal.

Steve "The Whale" and David Sizemore. Don't worry, there both dead.

Dr. Bill

I knew somebody was gonna bring either one or both of those two up. Notwithstanding the fact that I couldnt stand either fellow, I have to vote no. Based on the fact that while they qualified in all the hustling categories, I dont believe that they had the most important criteria covered. I dont see them respecting and accepting the other members at all. I dont see them as respecting anyone. I dont know of anyone that was actually friends with either of them -- or of any hustlers code that they would deign to abide by.

For contrast, our most egregious member, Detroit Whitey, loved hustlers. Whitey was actually biteable, would stake you if you swore not to tell anybody, and under very strict conditions you could go partners with him. Of course, as they say in boxing, "you must protect yourself at all times."

Beard

Sizemore slit a friend of mine's throat, David Gadsden.
(However just added NY Blackie to the roster)

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
One of the worst things about the passing of Jet is the fact that he was, IMHO, the last real pool hustler in Chicago.

I have formulated my own little Secret Society of Hustlers based on people that I knew and who qualified for admission under special criteria. Its an exclusive club and the only requirement to get in is to be accepted and acknowledged by the other members. Who likes who, and who hates who, and who can beat who, play no role in being accepted.

Morality, character, ethics, talent, pool speed, gamble, and personal appearance count for zero. The ones that are in know that they belong, and also know who doesnt belong -- usually unanimously.

Unfortunately, members are dropping like flies, with no new replacements in sight. Among them lately were, Pancho, Billy Johnson, and Jet. Now it looks like Charter member, Grady Mathew is apparently headed out soon.

For posterity's sake I have put together, off the top of my head, a list of Club members. Of course there are many more that belong that arent on this list. As my memory is limited, this is not an all encompassing list, but there are many that arent on there that some might think belong. They would be wrong in thinking that.

Club benefits include: lifetime bites, a place to stay, good dukes and steers, a minimum of knocking, elevated backer access, and an automatic seat at all Jackpot sessions. Plus members usually root for other members when they are playing non-members.

Artie Bodendorfer Chicago
Baby Face Whitlow Detroit gone
Barbara Cooney California
Berle Gabbard Corbin Ky
Bill Incardona Pittsburg
Billy Smith Chicago
Brooklyn Butch Fragone NY
Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas NY
Brooklyn Pancho NY gone
Buddy Hall KY
Bugs Rucker Chicago gone
Clare/ 4 yrs with Jimmy Reid Pittsburg
Clem Metz Pittsburg
Cliff Joyner No Car
Clyde Childress KY gone
Cornbread Red Ky gone
Cuban Joe Cuba gone
Dale Smith Tx
Danny DiLiberto Buffalo, NY
Danny Jones Atlanta, Ga gone
Detroit Whitey Michigan ?
Ed Pucharski Cannonball Ed NY ?
Eddie Taylor Tenn gone
Freddy Bentivegna Chicago
Geece Gerace CA gone
Gene Skinner Fullerton, Ca gone
Grady Mathews CA
Greg Sullivan Louisville, KY
Hubert Cokes Evansville, IN gone
Jack Cooney San Fran
Jersey Red NY gone
Jet Johnson Chicago gone
Jimmy Reid West Palm fla
Joey Speith Cinncinnati gone
John Chapman Cannonball TX gone
John Hager Sr Tex
John Popcorn Miller CA
Johnny Irvolino Brooklyn gone
Jose Parica Philipines
Junior Goff Fla
Keith McReady Ca
Larry Liscotti Conn. gone
Lori Shampo Detroit gone
Luther Lassiter No Car gone
Mexican Johnny Vasquez Tex gone
Michigan City Sam Langford Indiana
Mickey Carpinelli Port Chester NY gone
Mike LeBron Phila
Minnesota Fats Ny gone
One Eyed Tony Corbin Ky gone
Peter Rabbit Linhardt Phila gone
Piggy Banks Rogers Chicago
Pittsburg John Pitt
Ray Booth Fla ?
Ray Maples Atlanta, Ga gone
Richie Ambrose Ny
Ronnie Allen OK
Ronnie Sypher Maryland
Sammy Eubank Little Rock, Ar
Scott Frost Ariz
Shannon Daulton Ky
Sid Heard Corbin/Hazard Ky ?
Sugar shack Johnny Novak Conn
Tony Coleman Benton Harbor MI
Truman Hogue Ky
Wade Crane Ga gone

Freddy; First I want to say how sad to hear of Jet's passing, we're losing too many too fast. I've been in the hospital myself for the past 2 weeks. On the road to recovery now.

Secondly; what a fantastic group of people who have formulated in this particular criteria. Out of all the names on your list there are at the most a dozen people I would call, "hard core". I'm sure there are some "players" that feel they were ommitted, I guess the key word would be players not scuffs!

Fred; keep up the good work trying to bring ALL aspects of the game of pool and billiards to light, the more a person is informed, the more they will make the right moves!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

P.S. Don't forget "Little Frankie" from NYC.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Freddy; First I want to say how sad to hear of Jet's passing, we're losing too many too fast. I've been in the hospital myself for the past 2 weeks. On the road to recovery now.

Secondly; what a fantastic group of people who have formulated in this particular criteria. Out of all the names on your list there are at the most a dozen people I would call, "hard core". I'm sure there are some "players" that feel they were ommitted, I guess the key word would be players not scuffs!

Fred; keep up the good work trying to bring ALL aspects of the game of pool and billiards to light, the more a person is informed, the more they will make the right moves!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. Don't forget "Little Frankie" from NYC.

Freddy; I can't believe you forgot my long time road partner and good friend, Harold Densen, also NY Country, one of the sharpest guys around from the 60's to late 70's. And once again, Little NY Frankie!

Can't really think of anyone else from this forum that qualifies.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. NEW DVD, "The Secrets EXPOSED Consecutive Scoring For A Higher Average", will be ready for release in 7 days!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Recount

Recount

Freddy; I can't believe you forgot my long time road partner and good friend, Harold Densen, also NY Country, one of the sharpest guys around from the 60's to late 70's. And once again, Little NY Frankie!

Can't really think of anyone else from this forum that qualifies.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. NEW DVD, "The Secrets EXPOSED Consecutive Scoring For A Higher Average", will be ready for release in 7 days!

Little Frankie and Country have been added. Following is the upgraded membership roster.

Aly Ooop Wisconsin
Artie Bodendorfer Chicago
Baby Face Whitlow Detroit gone
Barbara Cooney California
Berle Gabbard Corbin Ky
Bill Incardona Pittsburgh
Billy Smith Chicago
Boston Joey Boston gone
Boston shorty Johnson Boston gone
Brooklyn Butch Fragone NY
Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas NY
Brooklyn Pancho NY gone
Buddy Hall KY
Bugs Rucker Chicago gone
Bushwhacker Gary Nolan
Clare/ 4 yrs with Jimmy Reid Pittsburgh
Clem Metz Cinncinnati
Cliff Joyner No Car
Clyde Childress KY gone
Cole Dickson CA
Cornbread Red Ky gone
Country Charles Monroe NY
Cuban Joe Cuba gone
Dale Smith Tx
Danny DiLiberto Buffalo, NY
Danny Jones Atlanta, Ga gone
Detroit Whitey Michigan ?
Eddie Taylor Tenn gone
Ed Pucharski Cannonball Ed NY ?
Frank Bananas Rodriguez Tex gone
Frank Filerino Jersey City
Freddy Bentivegna Chicago
Geese Gerace CA gone
Gene Skinner Fullerton, Ca gone
Grady Mathews CA
Greg Sullivan Louisville, KY
Harold Denson 3 card monte gone
Hubert Cokes Evansville, IN gone
Jack Cooney San Fran
James the sniper Christopher Tex
Jennie JAM (Keith & Geese) DC
Jersey Red NY gone
Jet Johnson Chicago gone
Jew Paul Brusloff Detroit
Jimmy Fusco Philly
Jimmy Reid West Palm fla
Jimmy Flyboy Spears
Joey Speith Cinncinnati gone
John Chapman Cannonball TX gone
John Hager Sr Tex
John Popcorn Miller CA
Johnny Irish Lineen NY gone
Johnny Irvolino Brooklyn gone
Jose Parica Philipines
Junior Goff Fla
Keith McReady Ca
Kid Delicious
Larry Liscotti Conn. gone
Lori Shampo Detroit gone
Luther Lassiter No Car gone
Marcel Camp Canada gone
Marvin Henderson Pittsburgh gone
Mary Kinniston
Mexican Johnny Vasquez Tex gone
Michigan City Sam Langford Indiana
Mickey Carpinelli Port Chester NY gone
Mike LeBron Phila
Minnesota Fats Ny gone
Nate Colbert LA
New York Blackie Bonife Ny gone
One Eyed Tony Howard Corbin Ky gone
Patcheye Henry Basheer phila
Peaches James Rochford Chicago
Peter Rabbit Linhardt Phila gone
Piggy Banks Rogers Chicago
Pittsburgh John Pitt gone
Ray Booth Fla ?
Ray Maples Atlanta, Ga gone
Richie Ambrose Ny
Robert LeBlanc
Ronnie Allen OK
Ronnie Sypher Maryland
Sammy Eubank Little Rock, Ar
Scott Frost Ariz
Shannon Daulton Ky
Sid Heard Corbin/Hazard Ky ?
Steve Lizard Smith Tex
Staten Island Tom Halliday gone
Strawberry Melvin Brooks DC gone
Sugar shack Johnny Novak Conn
Tony Coleman Benton Harbor MI
Tony Fargo
Truman Hogue Ky
UJ Puckett tex gone
Vernon Eliot ALA gone
Wade Crane/Billy Johnson Ga gone
Weldon Junior Rogers

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I have an idea for you Freddy, I think you should arrange our society members into regions around the country, who has the most, who are the most qualified, been around the longest, if they want to include, biggest scores ever made!

Fellow member;
Bill Smith “Mr3Cushion”

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Freddy's SS list.

Freddy's SS list.

After reading Alfie's book and remembering some of my time on the road, I believe Earl Shriver (gone) would qualify for your list.
Rod.