Can't see the forest for the trees.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's a race to three in a round robin format, luck will play a role in a short race to three, however, racing to three at the Derby City Classic has proven that luck doesn't play as big of a role as one would suspect. Look at the photo banners of the players that have won the one pocket the next time you're at the Derby, just seems that the luckiest players are the most skilled players.:heh

Accu-Stats would love it if we had the time to play a race to four or five but with only one table and 15 matches to play (16 with the finals)in four days, there aren't enough hours in the day to finish the tournament in the time allotted. Again, imo, not as much luck as one might think.;)Dr. Bill
Yes, you're right. My "luck" comment was made when contemplating that the 6 contestants were going to play each other only 1 game. Races to 3 have become standard; although not the best test.

I think the old Whalen/Payne World Pocket Billiards Championship tournaments were round-robin, weren't they? As I recall they played each other only single 150 point matches, but of course the fields were much larger, played in a full room of tables at the Elks Club by McArthur Park in L.A.

~Doc

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
I wholeheartedly agree. I play a style not unlike Danny's and Frost's (this style is dominant in Owensboro except for Varner and a couple others) and I typically size a player's stance and stroke up very carefully. If you are not accustomed to doing this, I would offer you two data points. First, watch the travel of the back hand. Second, get in front of them and intensely follow the white of the ferrule on the stroke delivery. If there is any deviation on the tip, hitches, hiccups or steering, the leave-him-long option might be in play.

This is kind of part and parcel of the new one pocket, where, quite literally, one player bets his stroke and shooting technique are better than the other.

Wow,
I really appreciate this, it reminds me of when I transitioned from playing on-line poker to live poker. I have never heard anyone in 26 year of my pool playing mention anything regarding this.
I tell you again, this may be the biggest tidbit I've ever picked up on this site.

Hooray StraightBack !