Scott/efren again

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Frank, just envision banking the 4 ball toward Reyes pocket, and caroming off the 12 ball with a draw stroke. If the 12 ball is positioned an inch or so higher than the 4 ball the natural path the cue ball will take is down table, on Scott's side of the table. It's just playing position by using the 12 ball to carom off of by drawing the ball.

Dr. Bill

Billy, thats a good shot but hate to burst your bubble but Ervolino showed me that the first week he stayed with me. Its hard to tell from this angle if it lays good but if it does im sure Efren would shoot it

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
everyone has been alittle shy giving choice options lately
hacker i know you are not shy:D
what would you shoot here
and /or what do you think efren shot here?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I thought you might like it. By the way have you been reading some of the Beards absurdities in the bank pool forum? It's really hilarious.:lol

Dr. Bill

"His front tracks are headed for a cold water well, his back tracks are covered with snow" Waylon Jennings. :D:p;)
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
"His front tracks are headed for a cold water well, his back tracks are covered with snow" Waylon Jennings. :D:p;)
Rod.

Yes,:frus but much more entertaining than his homeboy "Artie" That's what keeps me interested. Plus we occasionally will get a visit from the Ghost. :D which is always good for a break. adding a little stability (very little) to the debate.

Dr. Bill

timdog24

Verified Member
everyone has been alittle shy giving choice options lately
hacker i know you are not shy:D
what would you shoot here
and /or what do you think efren shot here?

Tough to tell how those two balls (the 4 and the stripe) are laying. I thought about banking the 4 ball two rails and swinging my cue ball two rails to Scott's side. I can't tell if that's really available though.
Billy posted a good shot, but I probably wouldn't play it because I'm not comfortable with it. Gotta practice that shot a few times.
I don't like doing anything with the balls down table.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Rod.

Sometimes It's Heaven, Sometimes It's Hell, Sometimes I Don't Even Know
Mr. Stephens... you old outlaw

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
efren 2 railed the 8 towards his hole and drew the q ball off the side rail towards scotts hole
billy i set up your shot and tried it and liked it..:)

Attachments

• fr7.jpg
    fr7.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
thin the 5 with low right, banking the ball back towards scotts hole. QB goes 2 or 3 rails to head rail between the striped ball and corner pocket on efrens side.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Scott's problems

Scott's problems

Maybe graze the 5-ball and float behind the dark solid on the foot rail?

Your shot is as good as any from this position, if hit well you figure to be in a much better position next time back at the table. But lets take a look at the problems that exist for Frost, in this position.

If you notice there are two balls in particular that are a burden for Frost, the 10 ball and the 12 ball (top right corner) The 10 and 12 balls should be on his menu of balls "to move elsewhere list". The 10 ball precludes 3 or 4 balls to be pocketed into his pocket, plus the 12 ball is a key ball for Reyes. The 12 ball precludes Frost from positioning the cue ball on Reyes side of the table as a defensive move, in fear of leaving the straight back bank for Reyes. With this understanding if possible I would want to look for a shot that would remedy one of those problems, and at the same time play a solid safety. Now we have food for thought, so lets use our imagination to resolve the problems and try to create a better position for ourselves. (Frost)

But always remember that patience is an attribute that must be respected, choosing the right time to do something that needs to be done is just as important as understanding what needs to be done.;)

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
we all know pool can be a game of inches
as an aside prior to deciding what to shoot just as efrens cue ball came to a stop scott pointed to a spot a few inches short of where the cue ball ultimately landed and said as his cue tip pointing to the spot says
"IFTHE CUE BALL STOPS HERE I WIN":eek:
rf1.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
we all know pool can be a game of inches
as an aside prior to deciding what to shoot just as efrens cue ball came to a stop scott pointed to a spot a few inches short of where the cue ball ultimately landed and said as his cue tip pointing to the spot says
"IFTHE CUE BALL STOPS HERE I WIN":eek:
View attachment 5629
Interesting, he said .."if the ball stops here I win"...There's only one ball (from what I can see) that he can win with from this position, it has to be the 8 ball. If he likes the 8 ball from the position he pointed to, I like it too.

Lets assume it's the 8 ball he's talking about and figure out why he would like it. As a rule of thumb, kicking at balls like the 8 ball shot is usually a bad shot. Why? Because of the return shot you leave if you miss your kick. But in this instance he has a "protector" with the 5 ball. If the kick is missed the 5 ball will block a high percentage of return banks, not all banks but a high percentage. Plus the 8 ball will block just about all banks on the 5 ball if the kick is missed So if it's worth the gamble, go for it. For Frost the reward is a possible game winner.:D

By the way, the correct way to kick if that's the option you choose, would be to kick using both rails and kick it off the bottom rail with a soft speed.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Interesting, he said .."if the ball stops here I win"...There's only one ball (from what I can see) that he can win with from this position, it has to be the 8 ball. If he likes the 8 ball from the position he pointed to, I like it too.

Lets assume it's the 8 ball he's talking about and figure out why he would like it. As a rule of thumb, kicking at balls like the 8 ball shot is usually a bad shot. Why? Because of the return shot you leave if you miss your kick. But in this instance he has a "protector" with the 5 ball. If the kick is missed the 5 ball will block a high percentage of return banks, not all banks but a high percentage. Plus the 8 ball will block just about all banks on the 5 ball if the kick is missed So if it's worth the gamble, go for it. For Frost the reward is a possible game winner.:D

By the way, the correct way to kick if that's the option you choose, would be to kick using both rails and kick it off the bottom rail with a soft speed.

Dr. Bill
Or, that dark solid (you've assigned as 8-ball) is just off the rail enough for Scott to bank it one rail. Scott loves those shots and upon making that bank, he would have surely got some kind of position behind all those balls.

But, good roll for Efren...

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Or, that dark solid (you've assigned as 8-ball) is just off the rail enough for Scott to bank it one rail. Scott loves those shots and upon making that bank, he would have surely got some kind of position behind all those balls.

But, good roll for Efren...

Ed Zachery right.
Rod.
P.S. I even make them myself (on occasion)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Maybe graze the 5-ball and float behind the dark solid on the foot rail?

If that shot's available it would certainly be the better of the two options, but I was thinking it was a little low for it to be an option. With the bank available you increase your accuracy and pocket the 8 ball more often, as opposed to the kick.

Dr. Bill

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Thinning the 5 and hiding behind the 8 has no room for error. Kicking the 8 is way better.

I still think banking the 5 over close to the pocket or 5 into the 8 to move the 8 in front of the hole and sending the QB three rails to the other side of the table near the top right pocket would work well.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thinning the 5 and hiding behind the 8 has no room for error. Kicking the 8 is way better.

I still think banking the 5 over close to the pocket or 5 into the 8 to move the 8 in front of the hole and sending the QB three rails to the other side of the table near the top right pocket would work well.

Playing off the 5 ball dropping under the 8 ball looks to be a strong option from this position. Especially if the 8 ball is 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" off the bottom rail. From that position you have to like your chances of dropping under it.

Your shot with banking the 5 ball into the 8 ball looks to be difficult on two fronts. The first being that the angle looks to be flat, reducing the target area going into the 8 ball. Secondly when you swing the cue ball around you have to hit it hard enough to defend against giving up a shot on the 7 ball, but not too hard because you'll be tracking toward the corner pocket with whitey. Tough shot to take with a minimal gain, plus you'll lose more often with the shot than you'll win with it. I'd look elsewhere.

Dr. Bill