One Pocket Drills?

KY8andout

Verified Member
Just wondering if any of you have any drills that you recommend, and if you could show them on the WEI table?

desert1pocket

Verified Member
From
Az
I regularly practice some speed control drills that have helped my 1-pocket game tremendously. I learned them from Glenn Bond, and they are all on his video/booklet. Here are the ones I practice regularly.

I start with 10 balls spread out evenly on the headstring, and then shoot the first one very softly towards the bottom rail (it should move less than an inch). The goal is to hit each ball further than the previous one, with the last ball not reaching the bottom rail. I then use the same concept but the first ball must hit the bottom rail, and the next must bank off the rail a little further, with the last ball not reaching the top rail. Then I repeat the same two drills using the cue ball and taking ball in hand each shot.
START(
%Af2F6%Bd6H2%Cb3J3%D^6L4%EZ7N2%FV3Q1%GO9S9%HK0V0%IE1X5%Pg1D6
%U\5N5%Vg5N5%Wc8J5%Xg5J5%Y`1L4%Zg4L5%[f2H4%\g6H4%]L7V4%^g5V6
%_X0Q5%`^3Q4%ag6Q4%bQ5T1%c[9S9%dg4T2
)END

KY8andout

Verified Member
Thanks,
That is exactly what I was looking for when I posted. Anymore drills for one-pocket out there?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
KY8andout said:
Thanks,
That is exactly what I was looking for when I posted. Anymore drills for one-pocket out there?

It's not exactly a drill....but a very good way for you to practice your one pocket game if you have no one to play with, is to play against yourself.....Just rack the balls and play a regular game of one pocket except you alternate between shooting for 'yourself' and then shooting for the other pocket acting as your own opponent....Do it seriously - try to trap yourself and then try to get out of the traps, etc.

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
One Pocket Ghost said:
It's not exactly a drill....but a very good way for you to practice your one pocket game if you have no one to play with, is to play against yourself.....Just rack the balls and play a regular game of one pocket except you alternate between shooting for 'yourself' and then shooting for the other pocket acting as your own opponent....Do it seriously - try to trap yourself and then try to get out of the traps, etc.

This is how I practice...and I find it very effective.

Shorty

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I like taking the 1 through 6 and just spreading them around the bottom half of the table. Then shoot them in rotation. The further up table you spread them, the more interesting it gets.

Lou Figueroa

KY8andout said:
Thanks,

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

I tried that guy once and quickly found out the game was too tough!;)

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
Shorty said:
This is how I practice...and I find it very effective.

Shorty
I do that also, at the Flamingo on my Lunch hour. I work just a few blocks away and hardly anyone is around at noon. So I practice against the "Ghost"
and also my 1p break.:)

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
My buddy Pelican taught me this drill:

START(
%AC8O5%BO0H2%CG7O4%DB5\6%EK4O4%FB3\3%GB4\4%HN9K6%IO0O3%JO0D0
%KB1\2%LB6\6%MB5\3%NB2\4%OB0\4%PF2U1%QA7A9
)END

Basically just an L drill in which I pocket all the balls in pocket A. Now there is all kinds of variations of this...and you can play it however you like. It does help you get used to different angles going into a corner pocket. For a challenge, I like playing it without letting the cue ball go into the square formed by the balls, by that I mean I predominately use draw to work my way through the balls.

I think it pretty much goes without saying as well, that ANY banks are worth practicing with one pocket...and for that I HIGHLY recommend Freddy's book, Banking with the Beard.

Shorty

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Peter Rabbit and the "L" Drill

Peter Rabbit and the "L" Drill

Shorty said:
My buddy Pelican taught me this drill:

START(
%AC8O5%BO0H2%CG7O4%DB5\6%EK4O4%FB3\3%GB4\4%HN9K6%IO0O3%JO0D0
%KB1\2%LB6\6%MB5\3%NB2\4%OB0\4%PF2U1%QA7A9
)END

Basically just an L drill in which I pocket all the balls in pocket A. Now there is all kinds of variations of this...and you can play it however you like. It does help you get used to different angles going into a corner pocket. For a challenge, I like playing it without letting the cue ball go into the square formed by the balls, by that I mean I predominately use draw to work my way through the balls.

I think it pretty much goes without saying as well, that ANY banks are worth practicing with one pocket...and for that I HIGHLY recommend Freddy's book, Banking with the Beard.

Shorty

Philadelphia's Peter Rabbit Linhardt did a variation of that drill at the Congress Bowl in Miami. He used all 15 balls (8 up one line and 7 across the other part of the "L") and lined them up in rotation, 1 to 15, and then shot them in in rotation in the one pocket without touching another ball. He would bet even money he could do it. If you bet him he couldnt, you would lose your cheese.

the Beard

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Shorty said:
I think it pretty much goes without saying as well, that ANY banks are worth practicing with one pocket...

Shorty

Somehow I don't think practicing my cross-side bank shots is going to add much to my one pocket game...^_^

Donovan

Verified Member
From
Fort Worth, TX
I haven't really read about this drill anywhere, but it is one I really like: Making the spot shot from along the head string.

I start shooting to the left pocket from the right rail and on the head string. Then after making it, I move it one ball width to the left and just keep going until I am as far to the left side of the table as I can get and still make it go. It might surprise some people just how far you can go. Keep in mind that when you get to the point where you are going to scratch when you make it, you should still shoot that shot. You never know when they might have a ball or balls blocking their hole in a game that would prevent you from scratching.

Once the left pocket runs out of room, start on the left rail shoot to the right pocket and work your way back again. You'll find that depending on your dominant eye and left-handed/right-handed scenarios, that you may be better at shooting at one of the pockets as opposed to the other.

Now that you know which one needs a little more work, you may want to start on your "worse" side and after you finish both, do that side again. Hope this helps.

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
Great Post Donovon! I have never thought about that drill...neat idea.

And as far as cross side banks, you would be surprised...not so much about making the object ball...but where are you going to leave whitey after the bank and that ball will spot up...which may be to your advantage in certain situations.

Just something to think about 1PGhost.

Shorty

Shag_Fu

Verified Member
Heres one I recently started:
Export Data: http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AATU4PbHU3...MbgU2Nbem3ObdB3Qbmj3RbgV3UATU4Ucpv2fada3fCPJ@
Ball on the spot, Cue frozen to the rail at the indicated diamonds. Dont move on until you have made the shot. When you get to eleven switch pockets. Record your misses, and repeat from the other side. Another spot shot drill I like is put a ball on the spot, take ball in hand, shoot into your corner, spot the ball back up, shoot again from the the cue lands, see how many times in a row you can make this shot. So far im stuck at about 27.

Mike

Verified Member
Similar to the drill above I like this one for all games since always comes up:

START(
%DI9S7%GK6R5%HO0O7%IM3Q2%JP7N4%LR6L8%OT3K6%PY3Z9%QA6A9

)END

return the CB to the side rail cushion after every shot. Shoot from either end so that you don't hit any other balls leaving the ball on the spot for last. You might find that the straight in last ball is the toughest one to make. I found that this drill forces you to stay down on the shot and follow through with a nice even stroke. It will also teach you to chalk up after every shot since you're only cueing the top portion of the CB.

Another drill, the long straight shot:

START(
%IT5N7%Pl2W1%QA6A9

)END

put two marks on the cloth so that you reset the shot so that it's straight into the pocket. Great drill for stance, concentration, holding together, and follow through. You won't make this shot consistently without doing all of the above.